Most popular crash bar?

desilva

Hello Folks,

Have seen the Givi and the SW-Motech crash bars so far and have been wondering what your verdict is - which crashbar do you prefer and why? I looked at existing threads and wasnt able to conclude on which direction to go. Sincere thanks for the advice!

Hello Folks, 
Have seen the Givi and the SW-Motech crash bars so far and have been wondering what your verdict is - which crashbar do you prefer and why? I looked at existing threads and wasnt able to conclude on which direction to go. Sincere thanks for the advice!
IMO - The SW-Motech bars extend further outward, and may protect more of the bike while sliding. Also, it may depend if you plan on hanging anything (lights, riding pegs, etc) on them. The SW-Motech are probably better for that.
But the Givi may look better in your eye.
That's my 2 cents.

Thanks guys! For the install, the instructions says to support the engine with a jack... did you guys do that? I suppose a torque wrench is in order to get to the 40 N-m (or 29.5 lb-ft) of torque?

Appreciate the responses!

DSCN2142a_zpsqv5fsp5k.jpg

I have the SW-Motech bars (hubby installed them for me) which I also use to mount Rigid Industries spot lights from. The bars are pretty solid and IMO look better than the GIVI.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Thanks guys! For the install, the instructions says to support the engine with a jack... did you guys do that? I suppose a torque wrench is in order to get to the 40 N-m (or 29.5 lb-ft) of torque? 
Appreciate the responses!
Did not use a jack and did not have any trouble. Do one at a time. The engine isn't going to move that way. 

• 5 weeks later...
SWMotech can't protect carters from a slide, there's some photos here in the forum , but i still prefer them to Givi's because they look and feel more strong and the connections to the frame are better (Givi have some issues with that and they connect by a small plate that seems to bend quite easily, you can find some photos here too).

Touratech does some good bars too (but expensive) and i think that you can add the lower ones to the SW Motech to give more protection for carters.

• Premium Member
SWMotech can't protect carters from a slide, there's some photos here in the forum , but i still prefer them to Givi's because they look and feel more strong and the connections to the frame are better (Givi have some issues with that and they connect by a small plate that seems to bend quite easily, you can find some photos here too). 
Touratech does some good bars too (but expensive) and i think that you can add the lower ones to the SW Motech to give more protection for carters.
I'm not familiar with the term "carters"....'splain please? 

I'm not familiar with the term "carters"....'splain please?
A carter is a French mechanical term which refers to one of the sealed case of the engine, like a crankcase or an oil sump. Its named after the inventor, J. Harrison Carter.
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

I recommend the Givi ones. I crashed and flipped my bike and it slid down the road, I bent the headlight brace back again, it started right up and I carried on riding to work. any smaller bars would've left my crankcase with a hole in it.

2016_07_11_08_54_46.jpg

Archived