Does a new chain come asssembled as a loop?

n5odj

Since this is my first chain drive bike, here's a dumb question.    When the time comes to replace the drive chain and sprockets, does a new chain come as a loop, or as a straight piece that requires hooking the two ends together?  It seems that it would be easier to just install both sprockets with the assembled chain in place. 

This is assuming (yeah, I know) there are not other parts in the way to disallow installation of the sprockets and chain in one piece.

So..... wondering if I need to buy a chain-hooker-upper-tool.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Since this is my first chain drive bike, here's a dumb question.    When the time comes to replace the drive chain and sprockets, does a new chain come as a loop, or as a straight piece that requires hooking the two ends together?  It seems that it would be easier to just install both sprockets with the assembled chain in place.   
This is assuming (yeah, I know) there are not other parts in the way to disallow installation of the sprockets and chain in one piece.

So..... wondering if I need to buy a chain-hooker-upper-tool.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Kits will come with a chain, rivet master link & front & rear sprockets. You can buy them separately, but make sure it has a rivet link & not a clip link. And yes you need a tool for installing the rivet link (on sale frequently at Cycle Gear for ~ $40 and the service Manual says to replace the washer on the front sprocket as well....up to you. BTW, installing a 112 link chain rather than a 110 link chain will increase the wheelbase a little and add to stability of the FJ. 

Archived