Low Profile Skid Plate

I ride an FZ-09 and my plan for it is to make it more like an FJ...I just liked the smaller look of the FZ. I want to do some light adventure riding (logging roads, gravel, dirt roads...nothing crazy). Anyways, wanted a skid plate to protect the silly fin/oil plug from getting hit if something were to happen and didn't like the ones available from SW-Motech. A bit too bulky. So I built my own! 

I made a cradle for the oil plug/fin so if I do happen to take a good hit, the load will be dispersed to the edges of the pan and away from the fin/plug. Because of the cradle, the plate could be thinner material (lighter) and ground clearance is only lower by about 1/4". Mounts with two flanges that are cnc cut to mount to existing oil pan bolts. oil can be changed with it on, the filter is above the plate and easy to access and there is a hole for removing the oil plug.

I'm also interested in building them as kits. So if you like what you see let me know, if there's enough interest I'll build them (and go through the channels of becomming a vendor if need be)

IMAG1315.jpgIMAG1316.jpgIMAG1317_1.jpg

• Premium Member
Yeah. That's pretty neat.... I would be interested.....

I would like to see the way it's mounted

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I will take photos of how it is mounted when I get home tonight. There is a flange on the front and a flange on the side that pick up the oil pan bolts, then the plate is mounted with 6 machine screws to anchor nuts on the flanges.

Price will be $130 with free shipping in N.A. (Shipping is about $30, so it's easier for me to just add it in)

• Premium Member
I will take photos of how it is mounted when I get home tonight. There is a flange on the front and a flange on the side that pick up the oil pan bolts, then the plate is mounted with 6 machine screws to anchor nuts on the flanges. 
Price will be $130 with free shipping in N.A. (Shipping is about $30, so it's easier for me to just add it in)

Nice, love it! Built it and I will buy!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member

Photos of only the flanges attached and the plate separately would be helpful.  What material and gauge is the metal, and are the fasteners stainless steel and metric or US inch?  Also, are the nuts captured to the flanges to make removal of the plate easy?  I already installed the Mazda low-profile drain plug and was planning on cutting off the protective fin that extends down from the oil pan, so could your design be modified to bring it up within about 15 mm from the bottom of the oil pan (not the protective fin that projects down)?

Photos of only the flanges attached and the plate separately would be helpful.  What material and gauge is the metal, and are the fasteners stainless steel and metric or US inch?  Also, are the nuts captured to the flanges to make removal of the plate easy?  I already installed the Mazda low-profile drain plug and was planning on cutting off the protective fin that extends down from the oil pan, so could your design be modified to bring it up within about 15 mm from the bottom of the oil pan (not the protective fin that projects down)?
Material is .063 aluminum. Imperial stainless fasteners (although they're provided, so I'm not sure why it matters). Achor nuts are used, so the nuts are riveted to the flanges. Because there has been a lot of design put into the bends and shape of the plate and flanges, the design can't really be easily modified after purchase. I could create a version to fit an oil pan with the fin removed but I wouldn't have a bike to test fit it to so I couldn't guarantee the fit.

I'm curious as to how it would work with the center stand
That's a pretty good question. From what I can see from pictures (best I can do for now) is that it would work with the center stand. On the left side of the bike it sits out about 1" from the oil pan bolts and follows the angle of the pan to the bottom. I attached a picture showing the 3 bolts on the oil pan it mounts to (red) and then a line roughly where the back of the skid plate ends (yellow). You can see better in the original pictures how far back it goes...which is well ahead of the kickstand.I wanted it to be pretty sleek and follow the pan pretty closely so it should be fine with the center stand.

15_yamaha_fj09_2.jpg

Cheers

Very nicely made. I did the flange shave mod with low profile Mazda drain plug, are '16 and on FJ/FZ's lower profile than '15 and earlier? I guess what i'm wondering is if you can even make it slightly closer to the pan based on newer models. ?? Either way well done. 

Endoz

Very nicely made. I did the flange shave mod with low profile Mazda drain plug, are '16 and on FJ/FZ's lower profile than '15 and earlier? I guess what i'm wondering is if you can even make it slightly closer to the pan based on newer models. ?? Either way well done.  
Endoz
From my understanding the bottom of the pan clearance on the old style vs new style pans with the plug on the side is the same, but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Although the skid plate would need to be removed on a newer style pan for an oil change because of the plug location. Which is very simple to do...6 half inch machine screws. 

And thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated.

Very nice design. I like it, and that it's simple, appears effective and painted black, would not be noticed by most folks.

I've kicked around the idea of mounting a simple pan like yours, but that mounts to the stock exhaust on the back end, comes forward, and is supported by the pan bolts/brackets on the front and left side. (Since the right side is not easy to reach, due to the exhaust.)

I was thinking .5 inch aluminum plate, with a 1" roll to 45 degrees in the front. It runs from just forward of the pan, back to the stock exhaust.

The exhaust has "walls" built into it, and if you drilled and used self tapping stainless button head screws, you could get a double wall threaded area, that would secure the pan in the rear with 4 screws there.

Then using your design for the pan brackets, run supports down to the front and side allowing for the new or old pan design oil changes. (Hole for the older ones, room to pull the front facing drain plug on the front for the newer ones.)

Yours has more side protection, while my idea has more underside impact due to the thicker material, and being attached to the pretty stout stock exhaust "scrotum" made of stainless steel, and mounted via sturdy brackets to the frame and bolted at the exhaust to the head studs.

After market exhausts would work with your design best however.

Anyway, I'm just kicking around ideas, you have a nice built and ready to go prototype. :)

Archived