Low Profile Skid Plate

I finally got around to taking off the plate to show mounting flanges and the plate itself. It's been good riding weather so I was "busy" haha!

On the bottom of the plate is the cradle for the fin. Currently made of a high density plastic but will likely be made of another material when I produce them because it's very expensive stuff and of like to keep the costs down on the kits for anyone wanting one.
If you want one, send me a message. I'm working out a few details and then will build. Will come painted black with silver hardware to match the engine. 

IMAG1330.jpg

On the bottom of the plate is the cradle for the fin. Currently made of a high density plastic...

So no clearance between the plate and the fin? Wouldn't you want clearance so that if you bash the pan, it takes the hit and not the fin?

Otherwise, really like the design and will be interested if/when they become available.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On the bottom of the plate is the cradle for the fin. Currently made of a high density plastic...
So no clearance between the plate and the fin? Wouldn't you want clearance so that if you bash the pan, it takes the hit and not the fin? 
Otherwise, really like the design and will be interested if/when they become available.

The fin sits in the slot. There is about a half inch clearance with bottom of the pan to the bottom of the fin. The cradle piece would transfer load to the entire bottom and avoid the fin. Without it, even if material were thicker, there would be a change of hitting the fin with a big impact. This eliminates that chance.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Final version of my skid plate finally finished. Fits perfect and I think it looks great, but I may be biased! Now that it's welded I'd say it's strong enough for anything except log hopping type adventure riding. It's handled everything I've taken it on without a hiccup. The drain plug is well protected by the bumper piece that puts the load from hitting something across the whole oil pan.
I have a few extra built because I had extra material, price is $150US shipping still included (Had to up from previous post because of welding cost). PM if interested.

IMAG1520.jpg

IMAG1524.jpg

IMAG1510.jpg

Archived