Magnetic Tank Bag on Matte Gray Paint

duhs10

I know I will probably get lectured about using a magnetic tank bag on my matte gray finish, but I did it already and its done (should have spent the extra money on a tank lock/ring mounted bag). Well I have been using a magnetic bag for about a year and now the tank is slightly discolored where the magnets contact. I had heard that is might gloss the finish a bit, but this is more of a brown discoloration to the finish. I will try to post pics later...

So, does anyone know if there is a way to restore the original finish? Why it would be brown? Its not dirt.. I tried washing.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have had mine on for 4500 miles, I can see it has worn down the matte to shiny/smooth spots where the magnets sit. Not sure if theres a way to get it back to matte. I heard somewhere very fine grit sandpaper might, not sure I want to try that yet.

Interesting. Any pictures ?
I've been using one for a few months, I'll have to check for discolouration.

20160831_141219.jpg

20160831_141228.jpg

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The only way to get the finish back on anything matte is respray. Sorry. All other attempts will result in worsening of the problem. You can try to clean thoroughly, but I would never sand. It does not have grain like stainless steel which is what sanding will give you.

Can't say as I can see much in the pictures though.

The only way to get the finish back on anything matte is respray. Sorry. All other attempts will result in worsening of the problem. You can try to clean thoroughly, but I would never sand. It does not have grain like stainless steel which is what sanding will give you.  
Can't say as I can see much in the pictures though.
Its more prevalent in person, definitely a brownish circle. Should have taken precautions. I figured there was nothing that could really be done (other than respray) but always ask because you never know what kind of experiences people have on here.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

If the discoloration is a stain of some kind you might have a shot. I would try mild cleaners and work my way up gradually to more aggressive ones. Rubbing alcohol might be a good start. I doubt it will work but what do you have to lose at this point?

Not a fix but in the future, maybe some 3M tape on the tank? I was about to get a magnetic task bag, so I'm glad to see this first.  
BTW never noticed it in person last weekend.
I think that's a good idea. Since you haven't put a magnetic bag on yet you could get some clear vinyl or tape.

I think I'm going to try to color match some vinyl and cover the area that the bag contacts.. I don't feel like wrapping the whole tank so hopefully I can find a vinyl that matches close enough.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Looks like that would trap a nice pile of dust. If I had a matte finish tank, oh wait, I do, I would never use anything that came in contact with it. Talk to someone at a paint and body shop sometime about this topic.
Hindsight... should have just gone with ring/tank lock system

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Not a fix but in the future, maybe some 3M tape on the tank? I was about to get a magnetic task bag, so I'm glad to see this first.  
BTW never noticed it in person last weekend.
I think that's a good idea. Since you haven't put a magnetic bag on yet you could get some clear vinyl or tape. 
I think I'm going to try to color match some vinyl and cover the area that the bag contacts.. I don't feel like wrapping the whole tank so hopefully I can find a vinyl that matches close enough.
Best to use a clear vinyl.  Not sure if the static cling vinyl will work on the matt finish, but it has been on my red bike for over a year now and works great to protect the paint from the tank bag.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived