Magnetic Tank Bag on Matte Gray Paint

duhs10

Want some honest opinions here... I have a possible solution that doesn't involve re-re-painting or vinyl wrapping the whole tank. I got some Yamaha decals that will cover the discoloration and provide a spot to place the magnet... Do the decals look ok though?

20160903_153549.jpg

20160903_153541.jpg

20160903_153535.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Want some honest opinions here... I have a possible solution that doesn't involve re-re-painting or vinyl wrapping the whole tank. I got some Yamaha decals that will cover the discoloration and provide a spot to place the magnet... Do the decals look ok though? 

20160903_153549.jpg

20160903_153541.jpg

20160903_153535.jpg

Dude, your not really thinking about running those decals over that seam I hope, and I think your making a big deal
over a very small detail because your tank looks fine from my house. I know it's nice to keep a new bike looking
new as long as possible but when you ride them these things will happen.

BLB

@britelitebob I cut them at the seam.. took me all of 3 minutes to throw them on to see what it looks like. You didn't see the spots on the tank because the bag was on the whole time.

You are right about things happening, and it's not that big of a deal, but it does bug me we I see it. I will probably remove the decals and just deal with it.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
@britelitebob I cut them at the seam.. took me all of 3 minutes to throw them on to see what it looks like. You didn't see the spots on the tank because the bag was on the whole time. 
You are right about things happening, and it's not that big of a deal, but it does bug me we I see it. I will probably remove the decals and just deal with it.

It's all my falt anyway for bringing you down them bumpy roads last week, those magnets were probably hanging on for dear life and sucked the pigment right out of your paint job.
BLB

It's all my falt anyway for bringing you down them bumpy roads last week, those magnets were probably hanging on for dear life and sucked the pigment right out of your paint job.
Hahaha! I noticed before the trip... those roads were awesome. Can't wait to do it again.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

duhs10:  Tank bag is going to cover part of the decal, and that will look funny.  If you are going to leave it on, I would move the Yamaha logo so it is in the same location on both sides, preferably not under the bag, as the left decal looks better then the right decal.  Anyway, if you like it, it is your bike, so it is all good.  Hell, I ended up with three different solutions to my side cases:  Full wrap, partial wrap, paint and wrap.  Oh ya, also added pin stripping.  Do what you want, its your bike.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 weeks later...
Here's what I ended up doing...

20160920_231111.jpg

20160920_230940.jpg

Carbon fiber vinyl wrap as a tank protector. Used wrap cut filament tape to shape it so that the magnets will only contact the vinyl. Wasn't originally planning in putting the orange around the gas tank cap, but it was hard to get that circle cut right and I needed to clean up the edge. With the tank bag on you cannot see the vinyl at all. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and it's vinyl so it can be removed at any time.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived