What Are These Electrical Components?

2and3cylinders

• Premium Member
While splicing in a set of front turn signal bulb sockets into the rear turn signal housings (and adding a third wire to feed the running light filament) and installing other lighting enhancement devices, I observed under the saddle amongst other wiring looms and connectors (which I identified) a strange looking clear capsule with what appeared to be gold colored wire mesh inside at the end off a wire loom (see photo "What is this 1"), as well as a white plug (connector) with 4 terminals and a protective rubber cap also at the end of a wire loom but connected to nothing (see photos "What is this 2A & 2B").

Can you identify these electrical components for me and if their name is not sufficient to indicate what they do, also describe their function and interaction?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/Qgbtv

Joolsb5 is spot on. 4 pin connector is indeed for connection to dealer laptop.

Some of the "splices" are grounds, others are just a way to join common wires which feed components, i.e. 5v reference for FI sensors, or switched 12v, etc. they are using this type of connection instead of multiple terminals or pins connected by a bar and then covered with a cap. Moisture is more likely to get into the splices using the old way, which is probably why they've changed.

They other reason is cost, im sure. Maybe this way is cheaper?

Skip

• Premium Member
Joolsb5 is spot on. 4 pin connector is indeed for connection to dealer laptop.  
Some of the "splices" are grounds, others are just a way to join common wires which feed components, i.e. 5v reference for FI sensors, or switched 12v, etc. they are using this type of connection instead of multiple terminals or pins connected by a bar and then covered with a cap. Moisture is more likely to get into the splices using the old way, which is probably why they've changed.

They other reason is cost, im sure. Maybe this way is cheaper?

Skip
owners of early FJR1300 will tell you about the earth problems Yamaha had a decade ago - star connections which used to corrode. Sealing them in the loom so moisture, salt etc cannot get at them makes sense. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived