Helite air deployment vest and jacket

martyl

• Premium Member
David, I know where your coming from but if it saves me from broken bones it's worth it IMHO. Check out some of their test videos on You tube with the stunt riders. Pretty amazing.
I showed this to a buddy of mine and he said," Oh! You know I'm going to deploy that thing every time your near me!"? I said," Well those CO2 cartridges are like $25.00 bucks a pop." He said," Well start me a tab because I'll be up to 600.00 bucks in no time for the laughs!" Hey! What are friends for?....;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I was expecting this guy to turn into a blowfish... but it's a rather underwhelming demo. I wonder if a good armour vest wouldn't do at say, half the cost.... and you can move it between jackets...hmm.
I looked at their website and they also have a vest that can be worn over any jacket you have.  It appears to provide much more protection than an armored vest, IMHO.  Expensive, sure.  But again, what's your spine worth? 

• Premium Member
My jacket and vest came in. Quality stuff. Jacket is heavy. I took the thermal liner out because I won't need it in Florida. Maybe I'll need it in December? 3XL fits me perfect on the jacket and L-L on the vest. I'm 44 in the chest,5'11", and 215 lbs.

The minnesota motorcycle safety center posted this article on their facebook page:

It partially reads like a press release for those Helite vests:
http://www.echopress.com/news/4101564-motorcycle-crash-victim-says-gear-saved-his-life

tl,dr: Article describes a first responder going to on way to motorcycle crash scene expecting rider to be smeared, rider in 'ok' shape due to gear, including helite vest.

I'm considering buying one of the vests at some point, but I'll probably wait until I can try one on at a motorcycle show or rally first.

• 2 weeks later...
I own the vest and I have not had to use its function thankfully.I was at the motorcycle show and the sales rep let me try it out.I was convinced on the spot that it was worth the 600.00$ price,when the landyard was pulled the vest did its thing and my neck  was secure and my torso also  and then it slowly deflated.I use it over the top of my regular jacket.
                                              KTMALSO

• Premium Member
I own the vest and I have not had to use its function thankfully.I was at the motorcycle show and the sales rep let me try it out.I was convinced on the spot that it was worth the 600.00$ price,when the landyard was pulled the vest did its thing and my neck  was secure and my torso also  and then it slowly deflated.I use it over the top of my regular jacket.                                               KTMALSO

KTMALSO, does the vest flop around in the wind?  Do the vest run true to size? For example would a medium fit someone who wears a size medium jacket? Thanks in advance for the information. 
BTW, I am a big fan of the LC4.

I just bought the vest. All the complaints about it are insignificant compared to the level of protection it offers. The sales guy inflated it on me, sure seems like major protection. It is easy to put on and take off, 3 clips in front and the clip to the pull cord you attach to the bike. Since I already always full leather jacket and pants, I could barely tell I was wearing it.

• Premium Member
"Bugsplatered", These are European sizes so order bigger. Call Nicole at Helite and discuss your measurements. I'm 5'11" 44 chest, 40 waist, 32" inseam. No beer gut. The reason I say,"No beer gut" is with the adventure jacket, the jacket runs long past the waist. If you have a beer gut it will effect zippering up the jacket. I ordered the 2XL and in Helite's wisdom, they sent me a 3XL in the jacket. It fit me perfectly. The vest is a,"L-L".

• Premium Member
"Bugsplatered", These are European sizes so order bigger. Call Nicole at Helite and discuss your measurements. I'm 5'11" 44 chest, 40 waist, 32" inseam. No beer gut. The reason I say,"No beer gut" is with the adventure jacket, the jacket runs long past the waist. If you have a beer gut it will effect zippering up the jacket. I ordered the 2XL and in Helite's wisdom, they sent me a 3XL in the jacket. It fit me perfectly. The vest is a,"L-L".
Thanks martyl.  When I order the vest I will go one size up to a Large since I have some "gut".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Just a note on the adventure jacket. I've been riding in 70-mid 80 degree temps and the air circulation through the jacket is very good. For a heavy jacket it is surprisingly cool. I hope to get many miles out of this jacket.

Archived