Short/Sport Windshield, which is the best?

foxtrot722

I'm 6' and the buffering noise of the stock is really annoying with the stock windshield. For warm weather ridding, thinking something just tall enough to maybe deflect some of the rain off of the dash area. Something that makes the bike look a little better than with no windshield. Any suggestions?

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

I'm just under 6' and the stock screen was horrible for me, and adjusting the height made little or no difference. The booming noise and buffeting were terrible, especially at highway speeds. I tried a CalSci shorty which was better than stock, but still pretty bad. I ended up buying a Powerbronze fly screen about a month ago and I love it so far. Perfect for around town and even though you get wind on the highway, it's clean wind which I actually like. And, no more booming noise or buffeting! I'm not sure it would be the best screen if you were using your FJ for extended touring, but for the riding I do it's about perfect and not that expensive either!

I'm 6' and the buffering noise of the stock is really annoying with the stock windshield. For warm weather ridding, thinking something just tall enough to maybe deflect some of the rain off of the dash area. Something that makes the bike look a little better than with no windshield. Any suggestions?

I'm just under 6' and the stock screen was horrible for me, and adjusting the height made little or no difference. The booming noise and buffeting were terrible, especially at highway speeds. I tried a CalSci shorty which was better than stock, but still pretty bad. I ended up buying a Powerbronze fly screen about a month ago and I love it so far. Perfect for around town and even though you get wind on the highway, it's clean wind which I actually like. And, no more booming noise or buffeting! I'm not sure it would be the best screen if you were using your FJ for extended touring, but for the riding I do it's about perfect and not that expensive either!

I'm 6' and the buffering noise of the stock is really annoying with the stock windshield. For warm weather ridding, thinking something just tall enough to maybe deflect some of the rain off of   the dash area. Something that makes the bike look a little better than with no windshield. Any suggestions?
I am having trouble finding a pic of the powerbronze fly screen for the fj09. 
I ordered the mra shorty (get it tomorrow) and am hoping it's quiter than the stock one which makes my head tired after several hours even with ear plugs. Standing up a little with the stock one makes it much quieter so that is what I am aiming for.

it's under Screens - Adventure Sports - YAMAHA ,MT-09 TRACER, 15-16 ,FJ-09 TRACER, 15-16... 
http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/searchedproducts.aspx?maketext=YAMAHA&modeltext=FJ-09%20TRACER&yeartext=15

txs.  Nice small size.  I hope my new mra is shorter than stock.
I received and installed my mra "touring" windscreen.  Wow, it's tiny compared to stock.  I think it looks cool.  Makes the bike seem faster like clothspining playing cards in your bicycle weeks like when we were 8. 
It's quite a different shape than stock.  Wider at most places and 3 inches shorter at the top than oem.

My stock  handguards make contact lightly on the right side with the screen and make more solid  contact on the other side.  That is in the up position.  I need to deal with it because it looks like it could potentially bend the edge of the screen to the point of cracking it at the screws.  I'll see if there is any way to reposition the handguard slightly.

Also it came missing some plastic washers.

....Wow, it's tiny compared to stock.  I think it looks cool.....
Does it work?
Seems like personal preferences vary too much to predict what any other person would like.  For example it seems most folks like taller screens than I do so ymmv. 
My first impression after a couple hours yesterday was that for me this will be overall an improvement in warm dry weather as compared to stock.  (Not as quiet as my stock screen on my r1100rt though for example, but I think the fj09 design makes that impossible while running hand guards.)

The noise level for me is improved as compared to oem, although a bit more air pushing at top of shoulders.  I am guessing in rain I'd get a bit more rain on my shoulders that stock screen.

One way I compare is to stand up at speed and listen to the noise level of clean air at my helmet (shoei neotec).  Then I lower my self to sitting position listening as I go.  The stock screen even in low position has more buffeting noise in my helmet than the mra.  Not quiet like being totally behind a screen, but noticeably quieter than stock for me.

The screen is also slightly shorter on the bottom for some reason and I will need to ride in the rain to see if any more water comes up under the screen than oem.

So first impression is that I like it for summer riding other than the guards hitting.  Time will tell.

If I keep the bike I may try something like the vstream sport touring screen for winter driving as reviews seem pretty good.  Again, personal preferences on screens are all over the map so it's impossible to predict what someone else will like.  What I am trying to avoid is the noise level from the oem screen from buffeting that I find really tiring even with the best earplugs I can find. 

I followed Member xlxr tip on the stability thread and decided to cut and shorten the stock windshield about 3 inches. I didn't see a need to cut the bottom for the time being. I have ridden about 300 miles with the windshield completely removed and like it. After I get a chance to ride with the modified stock screen, I'll post a ride report.

DSC02451.jpgDSC02454.jpgDSC02455.jpgDSC02456.jpgDSC02457.jpg

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

I put in several more hours with the small MRA screen today.  Simply way more fun than stock for me. Noticeably quieter and  I think the small roundish shape looks better than the OEM shape. I'm pretty thrilled with the transformation in riding experience the new screen makes. 

I bought the tinted version, but the lower section of the screen is blacked out and looks great imo.

And today I added some rubber washers on top of screen on all four screws and below the top two screws to have everything aligned a bit better.  One nice thing about the stock screen is there are flat areas pressed into the screen so the screws pull in very flat and even.  MRA screen is slightly curved and relies on rubber spacers to even out pressure from the screws pulling the screen in.

update from earlier post:

I tweaked the position of the stock handguards and they now only barely touch edge of screen in high position. Due to shape of screen the hand guards don't touch the screen at all when it's in the low position. So no real problem now.

Went for a ride, buffering was just as loud as before, so, cut off a couple more inches.

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02461.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02464.jpg

Went for another ride, this time if I sat straight up, I was above the buffering. Relax just a little, would be back in it.

So, decided to make one more cut.

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

Polished the edges thinking this would be it, went for a another ride, almost seemed a little worse, so for the time being, not sure if I'll make another cut or not. Anyways, ridding with the windshield completely off is a pleasure.

I had to go do a good deed for a sick friend and it involved 20 highway miles.  I put on the shorty Madstad.  It seems to talk all the wind off my chest and put 130% of it on my helmet.  Clean air but very loud.  Couldn't hear the engine, or myself talking.  So, looks like I'm sticking with riding it with no screen at all.  What a pleasure, no noise, no buffeting, cool air and I can hear that great engine.

Also, just got my new Pilot mesh jacket Visto Air.  Despite being a bit heavier than my old jacket, it sure flows a lot of air.  Good armor, good bright yellow color.  Liking it so far.  Seems well made.

Archived