Short travel & wooden front brake feel

• Premium Member
The brakes are very good on my Tracer - progressive feel proportionate to pressure.

Reading your other thread where you bled the brakes, you still have a problem with air in the system or some blockage in the system.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Air would make it spongy and inconsistent. My issue is very short lever travel making accurate modulation of otherwise very good stopping power very difficult. Does anyone else have this issue??!

I checked another FJ-09 on the dealers floor and it seemed similar to mine as did another I test rode before buying but it's been a couple of months and I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch yesterday.

My FJ09 front brake has had very short lever travel and elevated pressure required to stop gently or quickly since new. Is that the norm for everyone as it is hard to modulate and wooden feeling. 
Consensus?
Have you had the front wheel off the bike? 
I would take it off and open the space between the brake pads to make sure both sides are moving.  I could see if they were stuck that the pull may be hard.  Also gives you a chance to make sure the pads are in  the correct location with relation to the rotors.  I have heard of the rotors getting between the cylinders and the pads.  Long shot but you might check it out.

The brakes are harder than on my FJR.  No as easy to modulate, but I've gotten used to it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
My FJ09 front brake has had very short lever travel and elevated pressure required to stop gently or quickly since new. Is that the norm for everyone as it is hard to modulate and wooden feeling. 
Consensus?
Have you had the front wheel off the bike? 
I would take it off and open the space between the brake pads to make sure both sides are moving.  I could see if they were stuck that the pull may be hard.  Also gives you a chance to make sure the pads are in  the correct location with relation to the rotors.  I have heard of the rotors getting between the cylinders and the pads.  Long shot but you might check it out.

The brakes are harder than on my FJR.  No as easy to modulate, but I've gotten used to it.

BTW, is the red 2015 like ours the fastest FJ-09?
Will remove wheel as a last ditch effort but seems unlikely given how hard it otherwise stops without any abnormal noise (if rotors were between piston and pads it seems there would be an ungodly noise and scraping sound).  Will also give me a chance to test using the hex coupler another forum member recommended to loosen the front axle.

Archived