Haynes Manual

tigger

• Premium Member
Not a hint of it on their US site, and yet the cover includes the FJ-09. We'll see I guess. Many of us read English here.
ISBN is 9781785213335 - Amazon.com recognises the no. but says not available. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
how different is this than the Yamaha manual? Anyone know?
Haynes manuals appear to be written more for the average person than the motorcycle tech.  Haynes manuals are step 1, step 2 and so on and have both photos with arrows and mechanical drawings.  For example, if I needed to remove fairings to do maintenance I would be comfortable using a Haynes manual.  However if a Tech needed information for a more complicated procedure he would probably want to use a Yamaha Shop manual. 

• Premium Member
how different is this than the Yamaha manual? Anyone know?
the Yamaha manual assumes you have a workshop complete with proprietary diagnostic equipment and special tools unique to the brand.

Haynes will provide workarounds where they are known. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

To quote Haynes -

With a Haynes Manual, you can do it yourself, from simple maintenance to full repairs. Every Manual is based on a complete stripdown of the bike. Our authors and technicians work out the best methods to do a job and present this with the home mechanic in mind. Our Manuals have clear instructions and hundreds of photographs that show each step. Whether you’re a beginner or a competent mechanic, you can save money with Haynes.

Each Manual includes:

Clear and easy to follow page layout
Full procedures written from hands-on experience
Easy-to-follow photos
Faultfinding information
How to make special tools
Colour wiring diagrams (where available)

I especially like the part about how to make special tools. Like wessie says, Yamaha assumes you have the special tools.

• Premium Member
To quote Haynes - 
With a Haynes Manual, you can do it yourself, from simple maintenance to full repairs. Every Manual is based on a complete stripdown of the bike. Our authors and technicians work out the best methods to do a job and present this with the home mechanic in mind. Our Manuals have clear instructions and hundreds of photographs that show each step. Whether you’re a beginner or a competent mechanic, you can save money with Haynes.

Each Manual includes:

Clear and easy to follow page layout
Full procedures written from hands-on experience
Easy-to-follow photos
Faultfinding information
How to make special tools
Colour wiring diagrams (where available)

I especially like the part about how to make special tools. Like wessie says, Yamaha assumes you have the special tools.

I never had a problem using the Yamaha manual, but I do get stumped sometimes for a while until I can figure out what they are trying to have me do - might be worth a look

Guest reeseyboy
The last couple of Haynes car manuals I've bought were a little on the thin side, with plenty of suggestions about taking the car back to the dealers! Their bike manuals tend to be miles better than the car ones.

Archived