Considering buying a FJ-09

fruitfarmer231

I am currently mounted on a 2013 Kawasaki Versys 650,  but have been drooling over a 2015 FJ-09 on a dealer's showroom.
I am not unhappy with the Versys,  have installed a lowering link,  a cruise control Kaoko,  I believe,  gone 1-up on the CS sprocket.

With over 9,000 miles other than oil changes and tires, it has done all I've asked.   I understand the FJ is considerably more powerful 100+,  Versys 64+-   

I'm just wondering particularly at age 70,  whether it is going to be much of an upgrade for me.   The Versys is my first real "road bike",  I've had a couple KLR650's,  but most of my riding has been offroad.  My other bike is a 2015 Yamaha WR250F.

I welcome any of your thoughts.

As to age:  I'm 65, about to be 66.  Been riding for 50 years.

My '16 FJ is the most bike I've ever owned in terms of power and potential speed, and I'm fine with that.  With traction control and Standard and Rain modes on the ECU, you don't have to be paranoid about overpowering your riding skills, but if you WANT to move a little closer to the edge of the envelope, it's just a throttle twist (and/or a button push) away.

I LOVE this thing, and have put more than 2500 miles on it in two months.

I turned TC off and put it in Sport mode just once because I'm still kid enough to want to see what it's like.  After playing with some very modest throttle wheelies in first and second, I put it back in Standard mode and haven't had any particular urge to try it again.  It's plenty strong enough in Standard for me, and I do occasionally pound 'er through the gears up to triple digits when traffic permits, just because I can.  Best of both worlds.

At 66 presently, I can only echo phpaul's comments to a point. I came down from a Concours 14 with an ECU flash, so I use A mode a lot and enjoy the acceleration it provides. It also cuts and turns real sweet because of the light weight. It can be a safe ride(B mode), sensible ride(STD mode), and a fun ride(A mode).

• Premium Member
I am currently mounted on a 2013 Kawasaki Versys 650,  but have been drooling over a 2015 FJ-09 on a dealer's showroom. I am not unhappy with the Versys,  have installed a lowering link,  a cruise control Kaoko,  I believe,  gone 1-up on the CS sprocket.

With over 9,000 miles other than oil changes and tires, it has done all I've asked.   I understand the FJ is considerably more powerful 100+,  Versys 64+-   

I'm just wondering particularly at age 70,  whether it is going to be much of an upgrade for me.   The Versys is my first real "road bike",  I've had a couple KLR650's,  but most of my riding has been offroad.  My other bike is a 2015 Yamaha WR250F.

The FJ-09 has the potential to be a great all arounder. I use mine as an all around town bike, and when I decide to do a 2000 mile trip, all I have to do is put luggage on and go. My vision of the bike was primarily a mid weight tourer. I bought fabric luggage to keep the weight down, and it fits nicely with the mid weight tourer concept. I bought the SW Motech Blaze saddle bags, which can expand out to 22 liters coupled with the Ventura Mistral 1 system. The Mistral 1 can be mounted where the passenger seat is, keeping the weight more centered between the axles. And it holds 47 liters. I don't camp any more, so if 91 liters plus a tank bag can't get it done, I don't need to be going anywhere...LOL.. I am 71, and traded a DL1000 Vstrom in on the FJ, and yes, it is a huge upgrade. The screen and saddle are issues to be dealt with immediately, and there are many options and opinions here on the forum. I would not recommend lowering the FJ because of the "old style" oil pan that puts the oil drain plug in peril.  If you can accommodate those limitations, you gonna have a fun bike!  

Compared to the bikes you listed, the FJ-09 is going to feel like a rocket (in a good way)!

• Premium Member
The more I ride my FJ09 the more I'm happy with decision to have chosen it. I looked at allot of different brands and for what I want the FJ09 kept calling me back. I did test out the Versys 650 and it's a great bike at a great price but it's not nearly as fun as the FJ09. The only thing the Versys has over the FJ09 stock is a much better seat. If I wanted a Daily commuter under 8,000. US I'd consider the Versys 650. I even liked it better than the Versys 1000. The FJ09 just puts a big smile on my face especially when I crank the throttle.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

The FJ09 just puts a big smile on my face especially when I crank the throttle.
Ain't that the truth?   8D

I  had to buzz down to NAPA just now to exchange a wrong part.  15 miles or so each way and grinned like an idiot the whole time.

I'm not normally a scofflaw and ride pretty conservatively, but the weather was just too perfect and the traffic light enough that I just HAD to wind 'er up.  On the ol' six-fiddy, I had to plan a bit to pass.  Now it's just peek and twist...

I came from a 2008 Versys... the power difference is dramatic but very managable. I really enjoyed my time on my Versys, but just got bored with it. The FJ is a nimble bike, but not quite as flick-able as the Versys. Also, the Versys is MUCH more comfortable IMO. Other than that, the FJ is a better bike in pretty much all other areas and the CP3 motor is amazing! No regrets at all about swapping my Versys for the FJ.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived