Center stand removal

dakota

Happy labor day everyone.

I have been thinking about installing the Akrapovic Ti exhaust (followed by an ECU flash). Previously I've mostly let other people work on my bikes but I am interested in wrenching a little more myself.

The exhaust install doesn't look too difficult, but are there any tricks or special tools needed to remove (or reinstall) the center stand?

• Premium Member
Fair warning, I haven't removed the center stand myself, but after looking in the manual - there was no mention on how to remove it.

I'm sure you took a quick look too, but it looks like there are two bolts, one on each side to remove and it should come right off.

If anyone has actually done this, maybe they can chime in and confirm.

No need to remove the center stand to change the exhaust. While on the side stand unbolt the coolant reservoir, the stock exhaust and the decorative cover on the exhaust outlet. While at the front of the bike maneuver the exhaust out while someone else pushes down on the center stand. It should pop out very easily.

It's actually easier (especially if you haven't got a mate to help) to remove the stand. 22mm bolt on either side; you will also need to (first) unhook the centre stand return springs. This is the trickiest part until you've done it a couple of times; you need a loop of very strong wire (I use a length of bicycle brake cable held in a loop by a pair of mole (vise) grips) to unhook the springs. There are 2 - a smaller spring runs inside the heavier outer spring. Unhook (and re-hook after refitting stand) one at a time.

The stock exhaust is itself a very tight fit - it has to go in in a very specific way, as the sump fits tightly to the slope at the front of the silencer/cat box, giving very little fore-and-aft movement. A good tip if you are doing it on your own is to use a tie-down strap over the seat to hold the exhaust off the ground - this enables you to concentrate on wiggling the headers into place without having to lift the weight of the system with your left hand...

Spring removal is easier and less dangerous if you use the old penny trick. Get a bunch of pennies and insert one of them between each coil of the spring. This elongates the spring a little bit at a time. Alternate sides to keep the spring straight. May seem like it takes a while until you try the yanking method.

• 2 months later...
Spring removal is easier and less dangerous if you use the old penny trick. Get a bunch of pennies and insert one of them between each coil of the spring. This elongates the spring a little bit at a time. Alternate sides to keep the spring straight. May seem like it takes a while until you try the yanking method.
This is a good idea, however the smaller spring and its cover run inside the larger spring, stoping you from inserting the coins in the spring. Due to the way they are mounted you cant get the smaller spring off until the larger one has been removed. 

As Deadstiff says above, no need to remove center stand to remove and install new exhaust. I got mine out without touching the coolant reservoir but I did remove the muffler tip housing. For me, the trick was as stated, pushing down on the center stand about half way while slightly rotating the system and pulling forward. It popped right out.

Some more information here:

http://fj-09.org/thread/541/oem-exhaust-removal

• 2 weeks later...
I did what wallycycle suggested but still got hung on the oil plug. I didnt know the penny trick (I'll keep that in mind). I ended up leaving the springs attached and just pulled the pivot bolts for the centerstand. That gave me enough room to get the exhaust off while rotating the center stand. I was able to realign the bolt holes by putting a pry bar in the end of the centerstand and pushing the stand around, a large screw driver would work too.

Archived