Service Question

Hi Guys

I am now at 7k and due for my 7k service, the thing is my insurance is going to expire very shorty and the bike will be stored in garage till march next year. Do you guys recommend getting the service done now before storage or next year when riding season begins again. As the 7k service is going to cost me $300-$400 i want to make the right choice. (getting a service done now and having it sit seems odd to me, but i could be wrong)

Thank you
KiwiCanuck

This price was given from my local Yamaha Dealer for a 7k service. yes i agree it seems very high. You would think an hour would cover this. (could be wrong) Do most people get the key services done at dealers or just do it them self's (i am just worried about the 4yr warranty on the bike that they dont find a way not to cover if not serviced by dealer)

Cheers

• Premium Member
The only time I let the dealer touch my bike was for a warranty replacement of the CCT. Otherwise I do everything else myself.

The oil and filter change is incredibly easy to do yourself. Besides that, put some petroleum grease on the sidestand sensor flag, squirt some dry lube down the clutch cable, and visually inspect everything else. That should be sufficient.

Guest reeseyboy
This price was given from my local Yamaha Dealer for a 7k service. yes i agree it seems very high. You would think an hour would cover this. (could be wrong) Do most people get the key services done at dealers or just do it them self's (i am just worried about the 4yr warranty on the bike that they dont find a way not to cover if not serviced by dealer) 
Cheers

4 year warranty? We get 2 in the UK...

• Premium Member
Personally, when I was not riding in winter (for a couple of years when I was living away from home for work most of the time and only going on a couple of summer trips) I preferred to get the bike serviced a few weeks before the long trip the following spring.

So, my advice is to put the bike away and just leave it. The AGM battery will keep a charge for many, many weeks, so just top it up for a day once a month. No need to keep it on the charger all of the time, as long as you do not have a greedy alarm fitted.

When you wake the bike up next spring, get it serviced ready for any trips.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

So, my advice is to put the bike away and just leave it. The AGM battery will keep a charge for many, many weeks, so just top it up for a day once a month. No need to keep it on the charger all of the time, as long as you do not have a greedy alarm fitted.

Definitely add a fuel stabilizer ( https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs ). Fuel will go stale. 

• Premium Member

Definitely add a fuel stabilizer ( https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs ). Fuel will go stale.
The fuel won't degrade in a few months. Not in my experience in the last 2 decades. Might be different on a carbed bike where fuel may evaporate from the float bowls leaving a residue of the non-volatile additives. It's these additives that are already in the fuel that will help stop the fuel degrading. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wessie- not sure what your gas is like over there, but in the US it's junk, mostly due to the 10% ethanol content.

I recommend stabilizer or an ethanol fuel treatment anytime a machine sits because it's used infrequently. It's not as noticeable on a fuel injected machine, but the gas still breaks down rapidly.

Of course you and I, and anyone else who rides a lot, doesn't have that issue ?

Skip

Cheers

4 year warranty? We get 2 in the UK...
We only get standard 12mths warranty here in Canada, but due to this being my first new bike I brought the Yamaha extended 4yr warranty on top of standard one. I know with my old Audi to keep extended warranty active you had to get it serviced at Audi so was wondering if same for Yamaha. 

Archived