Service Question

• Premium Member
Wessie- not sure what your gas is like over there, but in the US it's junk, mostly due to the 10% ethanol content.  
I recommend stabilizer or an ethanol fuel treatment anytime a machine sits because it's used infrequently. It's not as noticeable on a fuel injected machine, but the gas still breaks down rapidly.

Of course you and I, and anyone else who rides a lot, doesn't have that issue ?

Skip

petrol varies - there is a British Standard and EU standard. We only have a max of 5% ethanol but you never know how much and you could buy the same brand and get 5% one day, 0% the next or probably somewhere in between as they do not have to label it. It all depends which refinery the base fuel came from as the branding and additive package is only done at the distribution depot where they fill the delivery trucks. You will see queues of trucks at the same bunker with multiple brands showing. I have no idea how they manage the additives as I can't imagine the truck driver opens a tin can and pours it in - those additives in concentrated form are going to be pretty toxic.

BP have a couple of leaflets which advise on petrol storage. This is one for the Oz market so they have different petrol for hotter seasons
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/petrol-life-vehicle-tanks.pdf

This one has a nasty picture of what happens to your ethanol based fuel - absorbing water leading to separation and as some have found, early rusting of tanks. http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/opal-fuel/Opal-factsheet-storagehandling.pdf

Note, apart from the ethanol menace, the degradation of gas/petrol is from evaporation of lower density, volatile components that are important for cold starting. 
In both leaflets BP does not advocate using additives or stabilisers, they say leave the tank one third empty and topping off the tank before using the bike will give you enough volatile compounds to get the bike started.

I guess if your bike is stored in a very cold garage, covered in 6 foot of snow then you are unlikely to have much of a problem with evaporation.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
4 year warranty? We get 2 in the UK...
We only get standard 12mths warranty here in Canada, but due to this being my first new bike I brought the Yamaha extended 4yr warranty on top of standard one. I know with my old Audi to keep extended warranty active you had to get it serviced at Audi so was wondering if same for Yamaha.
Here in the US, you can do your own maintenance. Just document what you did, and it probably wouldn't hurt to save receipts.

Archived