Sidestand Doesn't Support Loaded Bike

vinnie

Has anyone had an issue with their sidestand not being able to support the bike with (maybe 30 lbs worth of) luggage? My sidestand bolt is torqued to spec, but wobbles left to right when looking forward with the bike (as if you are sitting in the saddle). I went on a 2k mile ride this past weekend and couldn't use the sidestand at all. I was nervous to use it to get off and then  throw it on the sidestand... It was leaning so far over, I thought it might not hold the bike.
My FJ is under warranty. I may go and see if it can be replaced...just wanted to see if anyone else observed this before I went to the dealer.

Thanks,Vinnie

• Premium Member
Has anyone had an issue with their sidestand not being able to support the bike with (maybe 30 lbs worth of) luggage? My sidestand bolt is torqued to spec, but wobbles left to right when looking forward with the bike (as if you are sitting in the saddle). I went on a 2k mile ride this past weekend and couldn't use the sidestand at all. I was nervous to use it to get off and then  throw it on the sidestand... It was leaning so far over, I thought it might not hold the bike. My FJ is under warranty. I may go and see if it can be replaced...just wanted to see if anyone else observed this before I went to the dealer.

Thanks,Vinnie
I was on a 4 day trip this past Labor Day weekend with FJR1300 side bags and a 39L top box. Pretty much loaded and had no issues on the side stand.  
IMG_1093.JPG
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
No. My bike with luggage has been parked on the side stand many times. It's been parked on a moving train through the Channel Tunnel and a ferry across the English Channel. There were no ratchet straps on the train and the carriages move around quite a bit causing the bike to bounce around on the suspension. On the ferries, the bike is firmly ratcheted down with straps whilst parked on the side stand, chocked and in gear. I have no worries about the side stand giving way.

Luggage can be just a top box, just side panniers or all three depending on the trip. Up to 30kg or 66lb.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks for the information. I am very sure that mine needs to be looked at for warranty repair. The bike has 13k miles and only bought it in May, 2016. I get a lot of wiggle while the side stand is extended and the bike is on the center stand, so the side stand is unweighted. I think there is a bearing in there that may be allowing it to move more than it should...maybe the stand started to bend as a result. I'll post up what the dealer says.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the information. I am very sure that mine needs to be looked at for warranty repair. The bike has 13k miles and only bought it in May, 2016. I get a lot of wiggle while the side stand is extended and the bike is on the center stand, so the side stand is unweighted. I think there is a bearing in there that may be allowing it to move more than it should...maybe the stand started to bend as a result. I'll post up what the dealer says.
Well, that wiggle is normal. Once weighted, it doesn't cause any instability at all. It's the same on both of my Yamahas, 2015 and 1994.  
I agree on the sidestand pad. 
IMG_1056.JPG
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I went to the dealer to have them take a look. They agreed that the wiggle was normal; however, they observed that the kickstand is bent. They put in a warranty request, but warned me that it will most likely be denied. I ordered a pad, so that will help regardless. I'll post when I hear back from them.

Theres no bearing or bushing in there. It's metal to metal and as you observed, not a tight fit. Being sort of loose is a feature in a way- with weight on it the pivot binds up making it more difficult to push the bike off the stand accidentally. Not quite like Harley's locking stands of course.

Sitting on the bike with the stand down can bend either of the stands. BMW has in the past sent out bullitens warning owners to not sit on the bike with a stand down.

Theres no bearing or bushing in there. It's metal to metal and as you observed, not a tight fit. Being sort of loose is a feature in a way- with weight on it the pivot binds up making it more difficult to push the bike off the stand accidentally. Not quite like Harley's locking stands of course. 

There is a bushing - shown here as #9 

2016_09_16_16_42_11_Start.png

IF they do not replace it under warrenty, I've welded up stands before. Any welding shop, muffler shop or similar can make any "Pad" you want.

On one of my KTM's, the stand spring broke while off road, and the stand got all bumped up and bent slightly. (Had to zip tie it up, and that's not fun when you stop, and want to get off the bike... Balance it, while you find your knife, open knife, cut zip tie, position stand because without the spring, they just flop around...)

Anyway. If it's too short, just weld up stainless steel washers to the pad base. I've used "Fender washers" since they are large, thick and being stainless, don't rust when you scrape off the paint on the underside using the stand. Also you can weld up the center, and it secures the washer without fail.

You could shape the washer(s) when you are done, but I just left mine round, welded up the center, painted them black, and called it a day. I found a spring at the hardware store that worked well, was stronger, so it took some effort to apply it, but the strong spring also held it OPEN better, and UP better while riding the bike on rough terrain.

Good luck.

I have found that when fully loaded, panniers and top box, with a full tank of fuel the bike seems very top heavy, this can then make it a bit unstable on the stand. It's never been an issue for me but worth noting, any instability may be due to the weight being carried so high on the bike.

I have found that when fully loaded, panniers and top box, with a full tank of fuel the bike seems very top heavy, this can then make it a bit unstable on the stand. It's never been an issue for me but worth noting, any instability may be due to the weight being carried so high on the bike.
I think the angle of the stand in relation to the vertical axis of the bike is also a factor. If the stand was a bit longer and angled outward more, I think it would all be more stable with the stand deployed. This might require a change in the angle of the clevis holding the stand to the frame so the stand wouldn't stick out too far when up. 

• 2 months later...
This was one of the first issues I noticed with this bike. The center stand is fine. The side stand it terrible. Parking the bike on any degree of incline feels like a gamble.

I'm going to order a kickstand pad, but I'm not convinced this is going to solve the issue.

Has anyone found a fix?

• Premium Member
I went to the dealer to have them take a look. They agreed that the wiggle was normal; however, they observed that the kickstand is bent. They put in a warranty request, but warned me that it will most likely be denied. I ordered a pad, so that will help regardless. I'll post when I hear back from them.
Vinnie - any update on the warranty request?

• Premium Member
This was one of the first issues I noticed with this bike. The center stand is fine. The side stand it terrible. Parking the bike on any degree of incline feels like a gamble. 
I'm going to order a kickstand pad, but I'm not convinced this is going to solve the issue.

Has anyone found a fix?
Problem is they put a short sport bike type sidestand on a tall bike and I'll bet they just used the same one from the fz09. I don't see an easy fix but it's not really a big problem as long as you are careful where you park when your bikes loaded down with weight.
BLB

• Premium Member

Has anyone found a fix?
Problem is they put a short sport bike type sidestand on a tall bike and I'll bet they just used the same one from the fz09. I don't see an easy fix but it's not really a big problem as long as you are careful where you park when your bikes loaded down with weight.
Here's a thread with a solution: http://fj-09.org/thread/3583/side-stand  My answer is down the page, with a pic. The pic of the stock stand is right above it so you can compare the two. I really like being able to step up on the peg and swing my leg over....aka getting old sucks in some respects, but beats the alternative. 

Archived