• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

The GPS Challenge

pazzo

Looking to invest in a GPS soon and would like feedback from those that can show me their setup

My requirements are:
1) Expense - not concerned how much it costs as long as it meets all the following requirement
2) Designed for a motorcycle, easy to use with gloved hands.
3) Uses 12v power on front of FJ09
4) Mount is simple, attached to handlebar. - show me your setup please.
5) GPS not required to be locked to mount.
6) GPS must serve duty in auto also, with same 12v power outlet and separate mount/no mount.
7) 5" or smaller screen.
8) can run on battery power for 4 hour min.
9) blue tooth compatible

I'm really looking for a clean simple setup, easy to remove. Not interested in hard wiring it to the bike or more features than specified above. Portability to another bike is important.

Right now leaning toward a Garmin 390/395LM.
Please post pics of your GPS and thank you for valued feedback.

• Premium Member
Zuma 660LM on Amazon $320 includes RAM mount for bike and suction cup for car window. Has cigarette lighter charger OR cables to hard wire plus ~ 3 hour battery life. Can route on the GPS or plug into the computer. Bluetooth to work with phone and/or Sena/Cardo Scala.

Tom Tom Rider last gen $295 but I think the car kit is extra.

You'll be hard pressed to find a 4 hour battery life. Might want to check Magellan products for hiking. The off roaders seen to like them but I think the mapping software for roads is extra (used to be).

• Premium Member
I have a Garmin 390LM fitted to the handlebar by the U bolt & RAM ball included in the standard kit. I put a 12V plug onto the end of the lead and plug this into the accessory socket. I only use it for longer trips, so the only thing that stays on the bike is the U bolt.

I don't have a picture but it's not a big leap of imagination to envision a U bolt on the handlebar.

It works well and I do not see me making any adjustment to the set-up. The unit can be used in a car as well, although I do not do this as my car has integral satnav.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Garmin zumo 660 - Price: $799.99 (suggested retail)
Waterproof design with 4.3 inch, 480 x 272 pixel WQVGA color TFT display
9.5 ounces
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery, with up to 5 hours claimed life
Speed limit indicator
Lane assist
Bluetooth with A2DP technology
3-D building view
MP3 player

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/gearreviews/gr/Garmin_zumo_660_GPS_Review.htm

Garmin zumo 660 - Price: $799.99 (suggested retail) Waterproof design with 4.3 inch, 480 x 272 pixel WQVGA color TFT display
9.5 ounces
Speed limit indicator
Lane assist
3-D building view
MP3 player

GPS City new, $320. 
GPS City Refurb $280.

I bought the refurb unit in June, and I swear it was actually new. Very pleased.

Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Garmin zumo 660 - Price: $799.99 (suggested retail) Waterproof design with 4.3 inch, 480 x 272 pixel WQVGA color TFT display
9.5 ounces
Speed limit indicator
Lane assist
3-D building view
MP3 player

GPS City new, $320. 
GPS City Refurb $280.

I bought the refurb unit in June, and I swear it was actually new. Very pleased.

I bought a new unit from gps city ($320). It's been working great through rain & sun.

• Premium Member
I have my GPS mounted above the instrument cluster and I highly recommend it, whatever GPS you get. I rode hundreds of miles of twisties this weekend and that location made the GPS much more useful. Twisty roads don't tend to have a sign telling you that a turn is approaching because it is constantly turning. Therefore, you don't know how sharp the turn is before you get into it...UNLESS you glance at your GPS.

When the GPS is above the instrument cluster then you can glance at it without taking your eyes off the road. You can see how sharp the turn is and what lies beyond. Is it straight after the turn or is it followed by another turn? The GPS will show you if you can see it. That takes out some guesswork and allows you to plan your move through the turn ahead of you.

I wouldn't use the GPS on twisty roads if it was mounted on the handlebar. I would have to divert my eyes from the road. It is not hard to mount the GPS above the instrument cluster, and is much more useful there.

P1030238.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
What mounting bracket did you use to put your GPS above the instrument cluster. That's what I want to do, but can't seem to find one. Thanks.
See this thread for what I did, although the one in Piotrek's link would avoid having to drill a hole in your existing bracket. 
[/url]

31_Ch4vl_UDy_L.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• 3 weeks later...
I bought a Garmin Zumo 390LM

Garmin hardware is very good and reliable (I had Garmin on my boat too).  Interface is rubbish. 

the TomTom I have ...err...a premium model.... in the car (can't remember the model TBH - but has built in SIM for live traffic updates for life).  Route planning (in situ) is easier.  preferences easier to set, alternative routes and the whole interface is far more logical and easy to use.

No Comment in TomTom rider - I had heard not as robust, which is why I headed for the Garmin - but also there is no rider version with live traffic update inbuilt (only by using my smartphone...garmin is the same btw) 

I've found the Zumo "twisty routes" takes me through every city centre - mental routing!  I curse the Garmin all the time - the refresh rate is incredibly slow...miss a junction and can take a mile (especially on a more complex route) to find its way again.

then the actual map database is hopelessly out of date (even though I have the latest map updates, it points to places that havent' been there for years).  Get to roundabout when you've been following the A1234 for miles, so instead of taking the 3rd exit A1235, it will tell you take "The street" - sorry, but I have no idea what roads are called in a strange town - what possible use is that!?

I wouldn't buy the Zumo again...it truly is shit for my use.  But I think I will wait to see if TomTom do a model with built in SIM for bikes, before I replace.

At least I can tell where I am on the map and find a petrol station (provided it isn't that one in Maldon that closed 10 years ago)

Now, years ago I had a Sat nav that allowed you to set road preferences (what road type you prefer to use by 1-10 scale), average speeds for each road types - it made it complicated, but boy was the routing good.

Of course, its a personal choice, and personal decision.  It's a free world , everyone is entitled to my opinion  ;)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Zuma 660LM on Amazon $320 includes RAM mount for bike and suction cup for car window. Has cigarette lighter charger OR cables to hard wire plus ~ 3 hour battery life. Can route on the GPS or plug into the computer. Bluetooth to work with phone and/or Sena/Cardo Scala. 
Tom Tom Rider last gen $295 but I think the car kit is extra.

You'll be hard pressed to find a 4 hour battery life. Might want to check Magellan products for hiking. The off roaders seen to like them but I think the mapping software for roads is extra (used to be).
This is the way to go, I used a Garmin Automotive style with a clamp on handle bar mount plugged into the power outlet on my DR 650, first ride in rain, the outlet filled up with water, we were on a 350 mile day trip and wants to stay on the route. The 660LM with the Ram mount is the only way to go, on the FJ09, I wired it back to the battery with a fuse near the battery. It also comes with everything you need to use in your car.
The cool thing about the 660 is, your can draw a route on Google maps with as many crooks and turns as you like, export the file, import the file into the 660 and create a route with it. very handy.
We just did a 3 day ride to the NC mountains running curvy back roads, cover 750 miles in 3 days, all of the ride was drawn on Google map, this included some forest service roads.
Just my $0.02 worth.

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

Archived