The GPS Challenge

pazzo

• Premium Member
How have you folks found the initial and long term quality of the Garmin moto units? I've had a couple of their higher-end Rino units for hunting (530hcx and 650) and they've both been pretty problematic. Everyone else in my hunting party has also had various quality problems with Garmin, but we keep using them because nobody else makes anything quite like the Rinos.

I'm also interested in a moto-specific GPS but at this point I'm really turned off to Garmin.

• Premium Member
How have you folks found the initial and long term quality of the Garmin moto units? I've had a couple of their higher-end Rino units for hunting (530hcx and 650) and they've both been pretty problematic. Everyone else in my hunting party has also had various quality problems with Garmin, but we keep using them because nobody else makes anything quite like the Rinos. 
I'm also interested in a moto-specific GPS but at this point I'm really turned off to Garmin.
I've found the zumo device hardware excellent. Purchased a Zumo 450 in 2007 which has been beat to heck, off-roaded, dropped, etc. Screen digitizer went bad a couple years ago and replaced it with a $25 ebay part, have replaced the battery when the original began to fade, and it still works. But, it's now pretty limited in terms of maps and won't last forever so last xmas picked up a closeout 660.  
The software otoh sucks. It's improved over the years but that's not saying much. There were also audio static problems with early 450/550 cradles. The 660 cradle isn't the most secure as I've seen a unit fly off the bike and bounce down the pavement at speed. Device was fine. But that memory caused me to add a leash to mine :)

I'd say the software is mediocre not sucks, but maybe that's parsing it too fine.  Both of my Garmins failed at the connector.  The first one, a refurbished 2810, had relatively large spring contacts and there was obvious wear on the RAM mounted base plate after about 4 years.  The second one, a Nuvi, had a mini-USB connector.  The Nuvi is not designated as a motorcycle unit, and I think the vibration got to it.  The connector became loose, and I'm guessing there was some arcing given how the unit powered off for hours or reset sometimes.  The Nuvi lasted about 4 years also.  Both units were taken off-road. 
Now I have a Zumo.  The pin mechanism appears more robust than either previous unit and the connector is at least as waterproof as the 2810.  It also cost $300 on closeout instead of $150 for the 2810 and $100 for the Nuvi.

The mapping software has gotten better, but (1) the Zumo has to be plugged into the computer to use it and (2) it's almost as good as Microsoft Streets and Trips circa 2005.

For basic routing, it's a good unit.  It's easier to use than the one TomTom I used on a trip.  Waypoints are OLD even with the map updates. The map updates are nice to have, but I know others have complained about them.

IOW, they're not great, but for the price their acceptable and the benchmark on which to judge other units.

• Premium Member
I've only ever had Garmin (or their sub-brand Navigon as supplied with VAG cars).

I have been mostly happy and friends who have tried other makes have drifted back.

Most hardware problems are power related. On my Zumo 390 you need to check the sprung power pins have not stuck down. If they get dirty (riding without the satnav in place and the dust cap deployed will do this) then they will jam. Easily sorted with a suitable lube and small tool to prod the pin up & down.

Anything that can cause an intermittent power supply can cause the units to lock up. The cradle used on the Zumo 660 & recent BMW Navigators is less prone to this problem.

Software: I've got used to Basecamp which is a route planning program. The ability to pre-plan routes to share for my trips over to France and beyond is very handy. Basecamp is not the most intuitive software to use if you are coming from Mapsource.

Map data: it's not always reliable, especially with things like fuel stations. It can lead you to a long closed fuel station and have no idea it closed due a large supermarket opening half a mile away. It's better for hotels and mostly knows its way around urban one way systems in France, which can be comically designed, although Blois in the Loire defeated it.

For some regions, there are open source maps available. These can be imported into basecamp and the Garmin units. I ran my old 2610 on these for a couple of years after Garmin stopped supporting it. Eventually, the processor could not cope with the amount of data crammed into each map tile so I upgraded to the Zumo 390.

OSM maps from: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived