• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rotary Ryan Tail Tidy Install

fj09david

After a successful fabrication session @ Ryans place i received the part the other day from Ryan and completed the install this evening.  Looks fantastic on the bike.

Here is the write up for the process i took to install the tail tidy.

Disconnect the 3 wire connectors for the turn signals and license plate light.
2015-02-06%2019.04.25.jpg?raw=1

Remove the four nuts holding the tail located under the passenger seat

2015-02-06%2019.16.51.jpg?raw=1

Remove the extension arm off the tail to expose the cable raceway to allow the connectors to slide out.  This is done by removing the 4 bolts securing it.

2015-02-06%2018.57.13.jpg?raw=1

Remove the plastic washers holding the turn signals onto the tail and remove the turn signals and cables.

Remove the 2 nuts securing the license plate light.

I chose to use the LED turn signals that Ryan provided.  They are bright and fit with the overall style of the tail.  They are secured with a single nut and 2 wires fit with bullet connectors.

Fishing the turn signal wires through the tail tidy was the hardest part of the install.  I used a make shift fish made out of zip ties and pulled all 4 wires through the cable raceway.

I used a wire connector that i found from another forum called Posi-Lock wire connectors.  They are a very nice product for connecting two wires together.

I cut the quick connector off the stock turn signal and stripped the cables.

2015-02-06%2019.04.02.jpg?raw=1

I wired up my signals to ensure that i had the correct signals connected to the correct connector before i secured the tail to the bike.

Using the rubber and metal bushings from the stock tail for the license plate light install this into the tail tidy.  Fish the light connector through the raceway.  

2015-02-06%2018.58.22.jpg?raw=1

I used the lock nuts from the stock tail in conjunction with the screws and washers provided by Ryan.  Tighten it up and its all set.

Now go out and admire the amazing tail.

2015-02-06%2019.20.13.jpg?raw=1

• Premium Member
Looks great. Thanks for the writeup. Got any pictures from the underside?

I was thinking those turn signals might require spacers if I got them, but those actually look acceptable, with what looks like 9 inches of spacing between.

From the California DMV site:
Turn Signals (24951, 24952, 24953 VC)
A turn signal system, if installed, shall include four turn signal lamps, two single-faced or two double-faced front lamps, and two single-faced rear lamps. The two lamps at each end shall be mounted at least nine inches apart and as far apart as practicable, with the front lamps at least four inches from the nearest luminous edge of the low beam headlamp.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
That looks like a sweet tail tidy. Lights are very close together, do the brake light and turn signal drown each other out? especially at night from a distance? Please give us a report as to how effective they are in relation to stock, that would help. I have seen so many turn signals that just don't show up. Another concern is how would these work if one were to install the OEM saddlebags? Can you see them from the sides? Have you looked into that? For Looks they are looking great and I am sure that is what you are after, but maybe you can help us out on these other issues?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

That looks like a sweet tail tidy. Lights are very close together, do the brake light and turn signal drown each other out? especially at night from a distance? Please give us a report as to how effective they are in relation to stock, that would help. I have seen so many turn signals that just don't show up. Another concern is how would these work if one were to install the OEM saddlebags? Can you see them from the sides? Have you looked into that? For Looks they are looking great and I am sure that is what you are after, but maybe you can help us out on these other issues?
Ill try and get some pictures/video of the lights @ night to get a feel for how the brake and turn signal lights work with each other.  Compared to stock these signals are significantly brighter so i feel that is a step in the right direction.  Just need to get a different flasher relay that will compensate for the LEDS which is on my list.  That will get rid of the annoying quick flash rate that the LED's introduced. 
I cannot comment on the saddlebag question as i do not have bags to put on the bike.  The turn signals sit inside the frame so i feel that they would NOT interfere with bags at all like the stock signals would as they sick out past the frame when installed.

• 1 month later...
I know its a little late but i was finally able to figure out how to edit and upload video etc...

Here is a short clip of the tail lights going through all brake/turn signal scenarios.  Gives a good idea how much the turns signals and brake lights stand out and can be seen very distinctly.

Hope this helps answer the question of do the brake lights drown out the turn signals.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dmnbbyEPc]

Looking at your video it looks like the turn signals and tail light are working in synch with parts of the tail light turning yellow with the turn signals and the hazard lights. Is that a custom/aftermarket taillight, or can that be done with the stock one? 

Looking at your video it looks like the turn signals and tail light are working in synch with parts of the tail light turning yellow with the turn signals and the hazard lights. Is that a custom/aftermarket taillight, or can that be done with the stock one? 
It is an integrated tail light by CustomLED.  I have a Y splitter from the Turn Signal harness out to two connectors.  One for the Turn signals on the tail and the other for the turn signals in the tail light.

I think it makes the turn signals stand out more.  I like it much more that way.

• Premium Member
It is an integrated tail light by CustomLED.  I have a Y splitter from the Turn Signal harness out to two connectors.  One for the Turn signals on the tail and the other for the turn signals in the tail light. 
I think it makes the turn signals stand out more.  I like it much more that way.
I just got my CustomLED tail light with the replacement flasher unit. Did you install one, and if so where is the stock flasher unit located? 

I really like the double turn signals in the rear, I've always been big on making sure I can be seen also. I've had the chance to jump over to your website and look at the tidy-upper, It looks good. Which turn signals did you use with the tidy in the photos at the top of this thread? They're sharp.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived