To beak or not to beak .....

• Premium Member

I’m a partially reformed beak lover, having sold mine during a process of returning my FJ-09 to a more stock appearance.  I still like the look though, and seeing these photos makes me think someday I might return to the dark side.

Bottom line is if you fancy it & it fits your budget buy it!!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I'm bumping this post up since I finally ordered mine off e-Bay. Prices are MUCH more cheapskate-friendly. $20.99 and free shipping. I can handle that price point for a piece of ABS plastic. :)

El linko for anyone interested:

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

22 hours ago, Trambo said:

I'm bumping this post up since I finally ordered mine off e-Bay. Prices are MUCH more cheapskate-friendly. $20.99 and free shipping. I can handle that price point for a piece of ABS plastic. :)

El linko for anyone interested:

I just bought one too, also from eBay. 

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Type:Front Beak Extension Fender. For Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 Tracer 2015-2018. About Item.

Worth the try for 19€.

I got mine for 20 bucks as well a no brainer and shockingly cheap. Usually everything like this for a bike is ummm I dunno 300 DOLLARS OR SIMILAR!!! Question though. I removed the two clips and replaced with the new ones and longer allen bolts. But the front 2 Phillips screws I just re-used. The ones in the kit were longer/larger thread. Also mine came with spacers which I didn't use. Does anyone know what the spacers are for? The install was so easy I just don't like extra parts when there are no instructions.

2016 FJ09

Ok, so now you guys have got me 'beak curious', but none of the ones I've seen listed seem to say that they'll fit a GT900 (2018 plate). 

Has anyone fitted one successfully to a 2018 model GT900 (and by fitted, I mean it actually is fitted properly,  not 'it'll do)?

Would be grateful for a link to any that do fit properly as the descriptions on the listings I've seen do not include the GT900 model in the drop down list of suitable bikes.

Cheers

Steve

21 hours ago, bugie said:

@bowlin01 - Does this count:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrsbAyHn28W/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqVVo-9HLu-/

The fit against the side fairing isn't perfect as I think it WAS designed for the old Tracer and the new tracer side fairing seems to have a different angle.

Many thanks, are the gaps between the beak and the side fairing that noticeable? 

Cheers

Steve

The beak fits well at the top but slopes along the side panel at an off level. I think this is because Powerbronze didn't bother doing R&D before claiming it fits the GT model (they sell it as GT version). I wouldn't have minded if this was a 20 euro knock-off, but I paid full whack for the original Powerbronze one.

In terms how noticable is it; the answer is not very obvious unless you are looking at the bike up close and from the side. 

Screenshot_20190501-222358.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

My $21 beak arrived today. I installed it tonight. Total time was about 10 minutes. It comes with extra hardware needed to mount. Mine came with absolutely no instructions whatsoever. Not a big deal, as I'm pretty handy and the install is really simple and straightforward. As other stated the spacers seemed completely unnecessary so I did not use them. The new clips and bolts were needed though, as were the 2 sheet metal screws and washers. Again, as others mentioned I added some fat sheet metal washers under the big hex bolts to secure the beak against the rubber grommet in the rear mounting holes. If I didn't have to go digging through my giant coffee can of spare nuts/bolts/washers install time would have been 5 minutes. :P

Sorry no pics for you yet, but it looks great and I'm very happy. At the price point, I can't complain too much. This is the first real bling-only farkle I've put on my FJ since I bought her in '15. I have a lot of farkles, too... So this one was purely about cosmetics, and I really like it. It just completes the look of the bike, and gives it a really nice "ADVenturey" look that is quite fitting to it. Very happy! If I can get off my lazy arse tonight and snap a pic I'll post it later. But for now just look at other people's pics and enjoy, I worked way too many hours this week and just need to sit a while and chill with a brewski. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Trambo said:

I worked way too many hours this week and just need to sit a while and chill with a brewski. :) 

'nuff said.  I'll be doing the same shortly!  - Cheers  🍺

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Here ya go:

Only because 1.) I like you guys, and 2.) I literally had to walk past her to the beer fridge in my garage. 😜

111111111111111111.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, Trambo said:

My $21 beak arrived today. I installed it tonight. Total time was about 10 minutes. It comes with extra hardware needed to mount. Mine came with absolutely no instructions whatsoever. Not a big deal, as I'm pretty handy and the install is really simple and straightforward. As other stated the spacers seemed completely unnecessary so I did not use them. The new clips and bolts were needed though, as were the 2 sheet metal screws and washers. Again, as others mentioned I added some fat sheet metal washers under the big hex bolts to secure the beak against the rubber grommet in the rear mounting holes. If I didn't have to go digging through my giant coffee can of spare nuts/bolts/washers install time would have been 5 minutes. :P

Sorry no pics for you yet, but it looks great and I'm very happy. At the price point, I can't complain too much. This is the first real bling-only farkle I've put on my FJ since I bought her in '15. I have a lot of farkles, too... So this one was purely about cosmetics, and I really like it. It just completes the look of the bike, and gives it a really nice "ADVenturey" look that is quite fitting to it. Very happy! If I can get off my lazy arse tonight and snap a pic I'll post it later. But for now just look at other people's pics and enjoy, I worked way too many hours this week and just need to sit a while and chill with a brewski. :) 

How did you end up using the screws provided? The ones they sent to me were a thicker thread so I ended up reusing the stock ones and I didnt use the spacers either.

2016 FJ09

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, sdwillie said:

How did you end up using the screws provided? The ones they sent to me were a thicker thread so I ended up reusing the stock ones and I didnt use the spacers either.

If you're talking about the sheet metal screws, they just screwed right in the underside of the headlight. Granted they took a little extra effort, but not to a point where I felt like I was struggling or putting enormous effort into it.

The longer bolts matched up to the new threaded clips.