To beak or not to beak .....

12 minutes ago, Aminochelat said:

@tojjer Where did you get it from?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-FJ-09-2015-18-U3-Front-Hugger-Wheel-Cover-Beak-Extension/233281779831?hash=item3650ad7877:g:xA4AAOSw~55diyim

On first impressions, very solid plastic and just holding it there it seems it will go onto my 2019 ok. I will post pics once I put it on later / tomorrow

• Thumbsup 1

I think it makes it look better. If they bring out a specific one for the 2019 GT which mirrors the lines of the side panels, I'll swap it at a later date.

I added two round rubber spacers between the bottom of the headlight housing and the beak on the front screws, just to cushion it a little more. Probably didn't need them, but just in case. The rear fixings have rubber grommets on them already that the bolts pass through.

Took me about 15 minutes and very easy to do. I had knee surgery two weeks ago, so getting down and up again was entertaining!!

On the 2019 GT model, you DO need to drill a pilot hole for the front screws, as unlike the older Tracer there isn't the front screws there already. 

The beak does not follow the same angle of the new side panels perfectly, but it's not horrendous looking once on. You could put bigger spacers between the beak and the bottom of the headlight housing to angle the front of the beak down a little, and this does bring the angles more in line with each other. I wasn't sure if i liked it angling down or not so didn't go with that.

I know it's not to everyones liking, but all in all, I like it.

20191030_155116.jpg

20191030_155201.jpg

20191030_155213.jpg

20191030_151351.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got my arm twisted by this thread.  Just got the cheap ebay version.  $25 bucks well spent.  The only issue was that the supplied screws for the front were too long.  So I just replaced with some shorter ones that I had.  Aside from that it's great.

20191106_173752 (Medium).jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

ummm, well, ok then......beings that's not my cuppa tea, I shall just have to go

with a fender extension.... :D

thangya, thangya veramush......

(^ ^ that would be my Elvis inpression) .....

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, BugsInTeeth said:

ummmm....if it keeps ONE rock outta my radiator at 70 MPH, I'ma happy camper mate

Absolutely buy a radiator guard for any bike you own.  Much more effective than a 3” fender extension.  Better yet, use both. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Ye, and fairly useless I reckon.  Still get crap high up, reckon it's coming around sides.??

Rad gaurd is an absolute must. I've got Yamaha's and it looks good aswel as being a metal rad protector. 

hmmmm, welp, mebbe I won't get a fender ext.  then.....I don't ride in the rain, or in gravel-un-improved roads,... so ......

and thanks...

Edited by BugsInTeeth

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• 1 month later...

i had someone on advrider say a beak will help with buffeting on the stock windscreen. anybody experience this? i think the beak looks good regardless and ordered one for $15 tonight, just curious if it will work with some full coverage crash bars like the t-rex racing bars.