To beak or not to beak .....

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, bowlin01 said:

hmmmm...still no new pics of a GT900 in Phantom Blue with a beak (a non Powerbronze one that is), perhaps the inherent good taste of riders that chose the Phantom Blue is a clue that 'beaking' is a style / social faux pas? 🙂 

I don't understand it on actual true 'adventure' bikes let alone a non-adventure bike.  But to those that have them, I will kindly say that it looks fine... on YOUR bike.😎

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I don't understand it on actual true 'adventure' bikes let alone a non-adventure bike.  But to those that have them, I will kindly say that it looks fine... on YOUR bike.😎

Other things that don’t make sense, but are true:

parking in driveways, driving in parkways.

Cars and trucks transport shipments. Ships transport cargo.

“Fat chance” and “slim chance” mean the same thing.

“Hot as hell” vs “cold as hell”. Hell seems confused.

Rubber duckies are yellow. Who’s seen a yellow duck?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ChadTheFoxFox said:

That’s actually not bad at all! Was yours a Fleabay buy? Or the expensive one? And how’s it holding up?

$30 for the beak and $100 for the paint 😉

Holding absolutely great. It had been on for a year and I am doing highways frequently. I can't tell if it's there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Patch Kit said:

Rubber duckies are yellow. Who’s seen a yellow duck?

Baby duckies :)

On 3/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, betoney said:

Do they have an actual function, or are they just a cosmetic thing?  I can't say I've had a lot of issues with spray up the front of my bike before, but I also don't ride offroad much at all.  I genuinely don't understand beaks at all, and just go with the "those people have strange taste" angle.

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, Patch Kit said:

It’s really a holdover from dirt bikes. No real function on a road bike. Just “weird” style. Which I totally support.

Ah so they're to avoid mud packing up between fender and wheel!  Right, gotcha.  

But yeah, for sure: even if they have bad taste, the magic of motorcycles is there's something for everyone ;) And as much as I find beaks silly, they're waaaay less so than a lot of what people do to their rides.  To each their own!

• Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Decided to go with the beak but wanted to match the Blurple color of my 2017. I had purchased the paint some time back and was trying to build up the courage to paint a set of FJR 1300 side bags I picked up on ebay real cheap. After this beak project I am ready 😁

Purchased the beak from uniestocker on ebay for $16 and free shipping.

Purchased the paint from ColorRite.

Get paint here...

Spent $80 and got the 'Aerosol Complete Repair Package' that includes primer, OEM color paint and clear coat with enough left to do my panniers later.

Scuffed up the beak with a piece of brown fine scotch-brite and used grease and wax cleaner I already had to pre clean. 

Three coats of primer with 15 minutes between coats. 

Waited 45 minutes and did 3 coats of paint with 30 minutes between coats.

After 45 minutes 2 coats of clear with 30 minutes between coats.

Used a tack cloth between coats to clean dust etc. Here is the progress....

Beak 1.jpg

Beak 2.jpg

Beak 6.jpg

Edited by Heli ATP
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

@Heli ATP - Great job on the paint, it looks nice. 

I usually HATE beaks on any bike but on the FJ it fits the body lines and actually looks like it is supposed to be part of the original design.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

31 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

I'm going to resist Google searching for the Phantom Blue paint code! Must Stay Strong 🙂 

Don't resist, If you like the look get the stuff you need. What else you got on during these cold winter days ahead that's better than doing stuff to your bike. I didn't have to bother with paint because mine is the Tech Black model but after seeing the beak painted I would be doing that if mine was blue.

IMG_1741.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, dedsxy47 said:

Beak it, especially the black one.  Makes it look Tough!  Long gone now, but I did like the look the Beak gave it.

IMG_1505.jpg.07b23234e85e80e30a318a9cbbfdd57f.jpg

Wondering if I can get some info on where your accessories are from:

1) Beak (I ordered a Puig yesterday)

2) Carbon fiber side panels

3) Crash Bars

4) Hand guards

Are you happy with all of your add-ons?  Anything you would change?