To beak or not to beak .....

22 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate "accident" 😄 Send us a picture with the black panels.  

Anyone been discussing the new version?  Of course, there are no full reviews yet, correct?  Are they even on shore yet?  

I really don't understand the Japanese styling some days.  After all of this time, I am sure they are keenly aware of styling trends.  Would it really take that much to put someone in charge of this to spruce things up?    You know, just someone who could review the all of the styling before production and let them know of any faux pas they are making.  

Mine are actually currently wrapped in matte black vinyl, the bike looks great with those being black.  A few guys here painted theirs black, too, or plastidipped them.  I'd actually been planning on tearing off the vinyl this spring in favour of plastidip myself - I'm actually going to epoxy my broken panel, sand it, and plastidip the old ones as spares.  Not that I'm ever likely to need them, but why not.

No matter how you slice it, I love the Tracer.  I know that a full review by the traditional magazines should be coming for the new version fairly soon, as the test bike had made its way to the US already (it was in another video released by a dealer, who used it to go over its features).   All in all, I wonder how different it will be, but I really don't have any complaints about the current one.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OKAY, an update on the Puig beak.  I've been meaning to write this for some time now.  My beak is floppy up and down somewhat....there is a little bit of play vertically when I move it with my hand from the tip.  Is this normal?  I checked all of the fasteners and they are snug.  The rear of the beak slid above the included horizontal brace, as described in the instructions as well, unless there was another slot above there that I missed, but I dont think so.   

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, bowlin01 said:

@Heli ATP Oh $hit, now you've done it! That 'colour coded' beak actually looks good, I can feel myself slipping closer to The Dark Side. I'm going to resist Google searching for the Phantom Blue paint code! Must Stay Strong 🙂 

Cheers

Steve

Ok following a late night, some alcohol and the internet I ordered a beak (May God have mercy upon my soul) 🙂 

It has been sitting in my garage for a good 5 weeks now and the nagging voices in my head have finally worn me down and I prepared to fit it.

However, as expected from the cheap chinese eBay version there are no fitting instructions, so I'm asking how others have fitted the beak. Clearly the bolt and metal replacement slide on fairing bracket are used to fit the rear part of the beak.

But then there is a clear plastic washer, a silver (plastic?) spacer and a rubber spacer/ washer which could be used in all manner of combinations and in either the front or rear holes of the beak.

Any one know of 'the offical' method or can describe how/ where they used the various fittings to fit their beaks?

I'm fitting to a 2018 GT900 if that makes any difference.

Many Thanks in advance

Steve

(I can always take it off gain if/ when the madness passes)

Beak Fixings.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 10/13/2016 at 7:52 PM, britelitebob said:

20161001_135104_COLLAGE.jpg

Maybe this will help you

That has just convinced me to Beak up my Tracer!! I shall call it Daffy as soon as I fit it and it will be complete, seeing the with and without picture actually begs the question as to why Yamaha didn't fit one as standard!!!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Boat said:

“Decided to add the beak.  So far everyone I’ve asked likes it better with the beak, including myself…”

Add me to the like camp, and you got the best color too. I have the Matte blue on my Niken and find it hard to get a good cleaner that won’t scratch the surface. Considering a shiny new paint job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Took me a few years but I've finally succumbed and beaked the old girl!

Was never really sure what I thought about the beaking thing and for the astronomical prices that were being asked early on I decided that I could live without it.

But now for AU$35 it was worth a crack.  Now that it's on I have to say that it isn't as 'dominating' as I thought it might be and in fact I think it adds something to the bike.

I'll let it grow on me for a while before deciding if it's a keeper or not - it's only 4 screws after all.

Just got to find a new inconspicuous spot for my camera now as the bill shrouds its field of view.

image.png.7f5541ea312dd84c9386d7e4de2b32ee.png

image.thumb.jpeg.e9feb61225c892ae6a8b6b937efa04b7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e7da78f4553638b4b0e94ae54eabe85e.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
Just now, 2and3cylinders said:

Oh Daz!  I'm so disappointed in you.  Succumbing to the Beak Side.  It just shows even the near strongest can fall.

Am I the only one left?

Brian? 

Nope.  no beak for me... although, as much as I detest the 'beak-look' I have to admit it doesn't look as bad on the FJ/Tracer as it does on every other bike I've seen.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

To me, they're sacrilege.

Not that I'm that much a fan of the FJ/Tracer styling overall.  Too much form over function but it's grown on me over the years.  Especially in the fastest red.

Now my VTR is my fav, just classic.  It has everything it needs and nothing more.