What is B mode for?

I just picked up an FJ09 today and took it for the first ride after a rain shower had wet the road. Checked out the standard mode first. Then went to A mode. While turning out into traffic, I decided to see what she's got. It squirmed a little and I noticed the TCS light blinking. I was expecting a drift with the road being wet but all I got was very quick acceleration. If it works this good in A mode in the rain, why does it need B mode?

• Premium Member
B Mode is for Bypassing on the road and for Bragging rights in the pub. You never use it but let everyone know that is because you are a big, brave riding god.

So, B for Bullshít mode.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
B mode is the least throttle response of all three modes. Good for wet conditions. Std is default. A mode is most throttle response. To switch between modes you must have throttle closed. I mainly ride in Std.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I mainly ride in B mode on the commute. If I'm out touring on the weekend I'll leave it in STD. If I'm on a familiar section of road and am in the mood to play I'll put it in A mode and turn the TCS off.

It's pretty funny in A mode with the TCS on, it'll lift the front a little then the computer shuts it down, then it'll come back up and repeat.

• Premium Member
You guys are all wrong, B stands for behind, like when you get stuck behind a bunch of really slow cruiser bikes so you don't fall over.

And the A stands for ahead, so when the passing zone comes up you can go like hell to get ahead of them before the next set of turns comes up.
BLB

I use B mode in stop and go traffic (no lane splitting/filtering here). No matter how well I try to control the throttle, if you're trying to just trundle along at walking pace, the FJ bucks and sputters in std mode. B mode smooths that out; it gives you less throttle for the same amount of grip twist so you can modulate very low speed riding a lot more easily.

Had a chance to ride the bike more today in fast & slow areas. I understand the throttle responce a little better now in the different modes. Standard worked better in stop & go and A works better for rpm matching on down shifting (blipping the throttle to match the rpm at clutch release of for a lower gear). Very smooth in A mode but standard bode was not as smooth due to throttle response lag. I noticed the ABS kicking in if the rear tire hopped from improper rpm matching while on the rear brake.

Oldfart, your post made me laugh because it's TRUE!

I'm about to be 66 years old and I have to constantly make a conscious effort not to ride like an asshole even in Standard mode cuz this bike is so much FUN when you twist the throttle!

I'm not always successful either.  Between tourists and superannuated blue hairs in Subarus, I occasionally fail to resist the urge to drop a gear or two and blast past a line of cars like a hooligan.  I'm usually giggling like a six year old girl at a pajama party while I'm doing it.

...if you're trying to just trundle along at walking pace, the FJ bucks and sputters in std mode...
This is a fuelling issue caused by the switch between open and closed emissions monitoring. You can improve smoothness by fitting the "Kev mod" which is a device that fits inline with your lambda sensor and alters the signal going to the ECU. Well worth it IMHO.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived