Loose Hand guard After Heated Grip Install

bikefanatic

I am having a problem when I try to tighten my hand guard to spec after installing Yamaha Heated grips.

The hand guard bar end rubs the end of the throttle grip when tightened and prevents the throttle from returning to roll off position.

Anyone have experience with this? The only way the throttle operates is if the hand guard is less than hand tightened.

I think you have something else installed incorrectly. The bar end should not interfere with the throttle returning to a neutral position. That's why the instructions are so specific as to how they want the cable routed inside the cable area.

I'd double check to make sure the housing is located in the "hole" that's drilled in the handlebar.

Also make sure that the floating round, spacer washer didn't get trapped inside the cable routing area. It is supposed to be located between the grip and the cable housing.

Finally, you should have 3-5 mm of free play before the throttle tube actually moves the cables. Sometimes the end of the cable may not seat correctly inside the throttle tube.

Skip

Well, that worked swimmingly! I hadn't lined up the lower housing with the drill hole in the handlebar. Once I did so, the housing fit together nicely. That also resulted in sliding the throttle tube further to the left, which let the hand guard line up with the hollow bolt instead of binding the throttle.

Thank you Skipper.

@skippert @bikefanatic I just ordered the heated grips and plan to install them myself. A salesman (not a service tech) at the dealership I ordered them from mentioned some type of high temp epoxy you "supposedly" need to use while installing the heated grips. I have never heard of that before... I'm pretty sure he did not know what he was talking about. What did you use on the grips in this regard?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

"High temp" basically refers to any epoxy that's not 5 minute or "fast cure". Last time I needed it I remember comparing the backs of all the packages and usually the 24 hour cure stuff was best.
I want to say it was 220+ degrees? But this was awhile ago.

Anywho, I don't think that Yamaha requires epoxy for their grips. But it's been awhile since I installed some. Maybe someone else will chime in? Sorry I don't have a more clear answer.

-Skip

• Premium Member
@skippert @bikefanatic I just ordered the heated grips and plan to install them myself. A salesman (not a service tech) at the dealership I ordered them from mentioned some type of high temp epoxy you "supposedly" need to use while installing the heated grips. I have never heard of that before... I'm pretty sure he did not know what he was talking about. What did you use on the grips in this regard?

Rubber cement or grip glue (smells the same). 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

So the hi temp requirement is not necessary?

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
So the hi temp requirement is not necessary?
No. I've used my heated grips over 2 winters now without issue. I was on BWM forums for years (they pretty much all have heated grips) and have never heard of using hi-temp glue. If you google this topic, you'll find some discussion saying it's needed, but I believe it's because they are installing heated grips that are rigid or semi-rigid. 
Now, I believe the instructions call for Yamabond 7.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Thanks @clint I will see if the kit comes with the Yamabond 7. I also found this thread http://fj-09.org/thread/580/grip-heaters-hot-oem and there is no mention of hi temp anything or Yamabond. Just hairspray or some other type of grip glue.

Sorry to hijack your thread @bikefanatic but it seemed like your original question was answered.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Thanks @clint I will see if the kit comes with the Yamabond 7. I also found this thread http://fj-09.org/thread/580/grip-heaters-hot-oem and there is no mention of hi temp anything or Yamabond. Just hairspray or some other type of grip glue. 
Sorry to hijack your thread @bikefanatic but it seemed like your original question was answered.
Well, the OEM kit does not come with the Yamabond 7, so you might want to place that order now.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 2 weeks later...

Archived