Loose Hand guard After Heated Grip Install

bikefanatic

I used the cheapest "high hold" hairspray you can find in a discount pharmacy. These contain really strong, thermally resistant polymers that dry quickly. Spray on the bar, fit grip, check alignment and leave overnight. Job done for 75p. Lots of bike forums recommend this approach and it has worked perfectly for me.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Hey guys, I'm curious if anyone who's installed the factory grips has had their throttle start to stick once the grips are turned on. Originally I had the low setting set to 3, and after ~2 minutes I could feel the throttle tightening up, and eventually I could let go and it would stay, similar to a throttle lock. If i turned the grips back off, as soon as it cooled a bit it would return to normal function, where if i let go of the throttle it closes completely.

I'm a little bummed right now because the grips work great and heat up nicely otherwise, esp with the mornings starting to be a little on the cool side. Do I need to take the grip back off and throw some sort of lubricant between the bar and throttle tube?

I used the cheapest "high hold" hairspray you can find in a discount pharmacy. These contain really strong, thermally resistant polymers that dry quickly. Spray on the bar, fit grip, check alignment and leave overnight. Job done for 75p. Lots of bike forums recommend this approach and it has worked perfectly for me.
True. Get the cheapest dollar store junk you can get. The .99 can of 'Rave' works great.
Keep Asheville weird!

Hey guys, I'm curious if anyone who's installed the factory grips has had their throttle start to stick once the grips are turned on. Originally I had the low setting set to 3, and after ~2 minutes I could feel the throttle tightening up, and eventually I could let go and it would stay, similar to a throttle lock. If i turned the grips back off, as soon as it cooled a bit it would return to normal function, where if i let go of the throttle it closes completely.  
I'm a little bummed right now because the grips work great and heat up nicely otherwise, esp with the mornings starting to be a little on the cool side. Do I need to take the grip back off and throw some sort of lubricant between the bar and throttle tube?
I'd take it apart and clean the throttle and handle bar. Then a little grease and back together.  

I'd take it apart and clean the throttle and handle bar. Then a little grease and back together.
Agreed..

I haven't had them installed for long, but there has been no effect on throttle operation.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I agree with gotfz, the simplest check is to remove the bar end weight/ hand guard assembly and see if that makes a difference. If not then check the arrangement of the wire loops in your new wiring and that they move freely.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for the replies, makes total sense to start with just the hand guard assembly and see if it's still doing it. I did check to make sure there was at least a little space between the inside of the grip and the start of the controls, and there is, also with that plastic washer. I turned them on the other day and couldn't visibly see that gap closing at all, so that's what led me to believe maybe some lubricant was in order. I'll start with the bar end assembly and go from there.

Wiring is all good and moves freely...made that mistake once installing some Oxfords on my last bike.

Following up, I took off the bar end and am still experiencing the same problem. There's still a gap on the inside of the grip even when they heat up, so I really have no idea. I don't believe it's any kind of cabling issue, because I only experience the problem when they grips get a little heat in them. I made a quick video to show what's happening. Any other ideas??

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9znLOwfruc]

I was installing my radiator guard earlier and had all the fairings off and tools out so I figured I'd try and re-tackle my issue with the throttle side heated grip. I took the bar end off and loosened up the cable housing/management part, turned on the grips, and no sticking at all. I figured out that the two 4mm bolts on the top of the housing weren't originally tightened evenly so I held the housing in a way that the throttle would return correctly and slowly tightened it back up. Readjusted a few zip ties to ensure nothing was being restricted, and now I'm back in business. Thanks for the suggestions earlier, always a little disheartening when you're the first person to experience some sort of problem on what's usually a routine job.

• 1 year later...
I'm glad you found the problem. I had no trouble installing mine and I highly recommend them to all FJ owners. Now, as far as the glue goes... As a long time Motocross racer and mechanic, I never used ANY glue on the grips. All you need is to spray a soapy water solution into the grip and slide it on. After 24 hours it "sets" and will not come loose. IF, however, you ever need to remove them, you can. (We changed grips often on the race bikes) With Epoxy, you will have GREAT difficulty removing them. If using the soapy water solution, the grips DO loosen, just re-do them and let them dry and you will not have a problem. I hope this helps...

• Supporting Member
Hairspray is what I have used on all of my street and dirtbike grips for many years.  You dont need to wait overnight for it to set, in my experience after I spray it inside grip and slide it on the bar, I have about 8-10 seconds to get it in place before it sticks solid. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived