Motion Pro clutch cable problem; they don't want to fix it!

Posted a while back that my Motion Pro Clutch cable I ordered without the metal sleeve at the top was very difficult to pull. Checked all installation errors several times then discovered that the barrel & plastic sleeve on the lever end was much bigger than stock, fit too tight & was binding as the lever was pulled. E-mailed Motion Pro & got a response back from a Matt Groshong where he said (paraphrasing) that they had determined that the hole that the barrel fits into in the lever "is on the smaller side for our barrel with an OD of 8.3mm. We've added additional instructions for building cables for your application to make sure that the barrel at the top of the cable must be sanded after soldering, so with the PE sleeve installed the OD of the barrel does not exceed 8.1mm."And the proverbial "please feel free to contact me with any questions."Well, I re-contacted him-nicely BTW- & said that since you pretty much just admitted that you were building the cables incorrectly and that my "fix" really wasn't that good, that I felt I should have a new cable. This IMO falls under the "defective due to materials &/or workmanship" and should be replaced. I even offered to pay for a new cable & would return the other cable for credit when I received & installed the new cable. Response? Nothing & it's been over 10 days.With the FZ-09 bars installed I can't just put the stock cable with the metal sleeve back on, the bend in the sleeve means it won't work. I took the cable end apart at the lever, pulled back the PE sleeve and using a Dremel sanding disc make the metal barrel smaller. Then hand sanded it. Took a couple of times but it now seems to be working pretty good. Reminder this is my wife's bike & she just doesn't have the hand strength of your average male, but kind of beside the point. They built a defective cable (and admitted it) yet have desire to rectify the problem!

• Premium Member
Posted a while back that my Motion Pro Clutch cable I ordered without the metal sleeve at the top was very difficult to pull. Checked all installation errors several times then discovered that the barrel & plastic sleeve on the lever end was much bigger than stock, fit too tight & was binding as the lever was pulled. E-mailed Motion Pro & got a response back from a Matt Groshong where he said (paraphrasing) that they had determined that the hole that the barrel fits into in the lever "is on the smaller side for our barrel with an OD of 8.3mm. We've added additional instructions for building cables for your application to make sure that the barrel at the top of the cable must be sanded after soldering, so with the PE sleeve installed the OD of the barrel does not exceed 8.1mm."And the proverbial "please feel free to contact me with any questions."Well, I re-contacted him-nicely BTW- & said that since you pretty much just admitted that you were building the cables incorrectly and that my "fix" really wasn't that good, that I felt I should have a new cable. This IMO falls under the "defective due to materials &/or workmanship" and should be replaced. I even offered to pay for a new cable & would return the other cable for credit when I received & installed the new cable. Response? Nothing & it's been over 10 days.With the FZ-09 bars installed I can't just put the stock cable with the metal sleeve back on, the bend in the sleeve means it won't work. I took the cable end apart at the lever, pulled back the PE sleeve and using a Dremel sanding disc make the metal barrel smaller. Then hand sanded it. Took a couple of times but it now seems to be working pretty good. Reminder this is my wife's bike & she just doesn't have the hand strength of your average male, but kind of beside the point. They built a defective cable (and admitted it) yet have desire to rectify the problem!
I think they are in the process of relocating the business. They are a quality outfit and I'm sure they will make it right. 

It appears I owe Motion Pro an apology. Just got an e-mail from Matt saying a new cable was sent today & a thank you for bringing the issue to their attention. So if you received an "early" Motion Pro clutch cable & are having issues contact Matt at Matt@motionpro.com 

I think they are in the process of relocating the business. They are a quality outfit and I'm sure they will make it right.

Archived