Hello from the Pacific Northwest

rcoregon

I've been carefully reading about this bike and am interested in migrating from my Fjr. I'm 62 yrs young but "Black Beauty" is getting s little heavy to push around. Recently I took a demo from a near by dealer ( they have 5 - 2015s in stock). I thought it was odd , but you folks can help me on this. The sales guy didn't want me to turn the bike off after I started it. He said it fouls the plugs if you turn the engine off cold. I thought that was strange.

http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/technical-information/spark-plug-analysis -

"Carbon fouling is the most common spark plug related failure, but is not a spark plug fault. Carbon deposits are conductive, and as they accumulate along the insulator nose they reduce the insulation resistance of the spark plug. As electricity always takes the path of least resistance a misfire may occur if a significant amount of carbon deposits accumulate. A spark will not form as electricity can track along the conductive carbon deposits to the metal shell rather than forming a spark across the electrode gap which has a very high resistance.
As mentioned the optimal operating temperature range for a spark plug is 450 – 870°C, 450°C is the spark plug self cleaning temperature at which point carbon deposits will burn off.

Cause - Prolonged idling, Continuous low speed driving

Corrective action - It is necessary to run at higher speeds (about 80 km/h) from time to time."

But, officer, NGK said I should, really.

Thanks for the response. Seemed kind of odd to me. I usually start my FJR and 20 seconds later take off. Maybe I should warm it up a little.

The dealer is Power Yami in Sublimity (10 miles set of Salem). Probably the largest dealer South of Portland. I plan on buying a 2015 model in Oct. Their demo loop is: leave the dealership, turn left, go 1/2 mile to the first and only stop sign in town, turn left, go to the freeway and back to the dealership. About three miles. 

• Premium Member
I bought my '15 FJ-09 from Power Sports in Sublimity.  They have GREAT prices and seem to know their stuff. I had to make a 500mi. round trip from NE Oregon but it was worth it! The sales guys said they sell like 10 FJ-09s a month!!  These are GREAT bikes and think you will be VERY pleased with buying from them... Enjoy, Dave over in Umatilla, OR.
FJ_09_Sublimity_OR.jpg

• Premium Member
I also bought my FJ at Power. Good price, although I had some prep issues (loose oil filler, loose front axle, etc). Typical stuff, unfortunately.

Welcome from Albany, OR!

Archived