90 degree valve stems

• Premium Member
This was standard on my Street Triple tires and I really liked it.  Anyone know if stock stems can be replaced at any time, or is it only when new tires are being installed?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Can be done at anytime but requires removal of the tire ??
Just curious, can it not be accomplished by breaking the bead loose and pushing in one side of the tire for access? Or possibly by removing only one side of the tire for access? 

Just mark the tire, and rim with a dot. Remove the tire.
Do the stem swap.
Put the tire back on, and line up the dots.
Should still be balanced to the rim.

Won't the new 90 degree stem probably weigh more than the old straight one, and therefore throw off the balance? 

Guest reeseyboy
I have the right angled valves on mine. If I remember correctly, due to them being aluminium, they're lighter than the OEM rubber valve. Be careful when installing them; don't torque the backnut over 10Nm as you'll shear the valve off. 

Like reeseyboy said, they are actually lighter than the stock valve stems. You can do it by breaking the bead and working around the tire, but it would be a whole lot easier to take off the tire all the way.

As far as balancing goes, I doubt you'd notice the difference. I have changed a couple of hundred tires since we got a Coats 220 (many years ago), and the valve stem is rarely the heavy spot on the wheel. With tires with the heavy spot marked (pretty much every tire except Michelins) you can line up the heavy spot on the tire with the light spot on the wheel and use very little weight to balance. When I used Bridestones, I could balance without weights about 3/4 of the time.

Archived