Off-Road FJ-09 - What do I need?

• Premium Member
Greetings fellow riders.
I have encountered a few dirt roads lately with rocks and fallen limbs that I need to cross.
My stock system (except exhaust) leaves a bit to desire regarding any kind of dual-sport activity.

Any recommendations for converting my red pony into a trail / adventure bike?
I think I need the TKC-80 tires.
Spoke wheels?
Skid plate?
Crash bars?

Your advice is appreciated.

Kevin

in Georgia

... especially engine oil drain plug protection / modification if you have a 2015, or change to 2016 oil pan.

http://fj-09.org/thread/2606/higdonion-cages-hey

These guys have been working on a new version skid plate and engine protector, but I do not know if it is ready yet.

There was a picture of a serious dirt conversion, longer travel suspension, but I cannot find it now.

The real question is how much capability do you want to pay for.

IMHO there's too much aluminum on the FJ to be able to take much abuse no matter how much protection you bolt into its aluminum frame. I know the ergonomics are very adventury and it's tempting. I'm just saying, keep your expectations in check. This is a sport touring bike that's very much designed to stay on pavement.

That being said, it's your bike and I support your choice whatever you decide. I do love the diversity this bike attracts. For what it's worth, @xlxr has good tips if you do decide to move forward with this. Higdonion makes a great product.

I have been gravel/forest roading the bike all summer. ended up in some spots I would not have chosen but she handled it well. That being said my bike only vaguely resembles a stock fj. Suspension, controls, bash plates, rad guard and definitely Kevin's O2 mod as it makes chugging along at low rpm's a completely different experience. I'm sporting Avon Trail Riders which, in spite of the name, are great street tires with a true 10% off road ability.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

LOL best mod possible: Used KTM 990 Adventure.

And keep the FJ09 for the street.

Done, and done. ;)

Here is my logic. You ARE going to drop the Adventure bike. And might drop it every ride on dirt. At a minimum, you will drop the bike a few times a year in conservative riding style, if you are more agressive, you will drop it every ride. Get one used, with the carbon fiber gas tank protectors that stick on in place, crash bars, and upgraded skid plates etc. The KTM will be fun to ride to the trails and fire roads just like the FJ09, but when the pavement ends, you are on a bike BUILT for riding dirt trails/roads and with a suspension that can handle baby head sized boulders all day long, hop over curbs, parking blocks, and other stuff like that at will.

I rode them for years, and loved them, but when you realize you only ride less than 10% on trails, the FJ09 is really nice to have v/s the knobby tires on the KTM Adventure bikes.

AND when you drop your used 10 year old KTM 990 Adventure? You will not be bummed out at the new scratches or dents. Big deal, adds to the patina of an ADV bike. :) Slap a Dakar sticker over it, and ride on! :)

I love it when posts ask for advice on what upgrades to do and the majority of replies either state to buy a second bike because the FJ is not specifically designed the same as a BMW GS or Ducati adventure and therefore is going to be garbage on a dirt road. The "how dare you take this street bike off road" mentality is ridiculous.

I'd say tires and a skid plate and you're looking pretty good for light adventuring. I'm picturing fire roads, gravel, dirt etc. If you're going more off road Dakar type stuff then obviously you'd have a lot more to do. Case savers or a cage would be a good idea if you find you're less stable/comfortable on some roads. Suspension to me would be the last thing I'd upgrade. But if you end up getting uneasy, just slow down or come back another day when you've upgraded.

I love it when posts ask for advice on what upgrades to do and the majority of replies either state to buy a second bike because the FJ is not specifically designed the same as a BMW GS or Ducati adventure and therefore is going to be garbage on a dirt road. The "how dare you take this street bike off road" mentality is ridiculous.
I've ridden my FJ-09 on plenty of dirt roads. I'm sure the shortcut (20 km shorter) that I took in Nova Scotia was longer time-wise, but the fully camping-loaded FJ did fine on the 25 km of wet dirt road of varying slimeyness.  ;)   
But if I plan a lot of dirt riding I prefer my KTM 690 Enduro R, so I can have sticky street rubber on the FJ for twisties. To each their own...
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

It seems to me it just comes down to preferences. If a guy (or a girl) can only afford one bike...and live in an environment that contains a lot of jeep-trails and fire roads that they want to explore--then lightly modding an FJ might make some sense. Bottom line is there is no great "one bike" option and everybody's needs are a bit different. I just came off a KTM 1290 SA that I hoped would fulfill a multi-mission role. Great street bike but let me tell you, a 600 LB off-road bike is an oxymoron. Really, IMHO, the only thing the FJ09 lacks for making it jeep-trail capable is ground clearance. Tires and body protection are no big deal to install. At least the bike is fairly light and most of us could actually pick it up if need be.

Whenever I'm on a road bike I'm invariably scanning for off-road opportunities and thinking "if I was on my Berg'".....and vice-versa, when I'm trying to get somewhere on asphalt on my D/S, I'm wishin' I was on my FJ.

At one point I owned three bikes. A DL650, a WR250R and the FJ. Finaces and an aging body asked for a change so first went the DL and then the WR. They were both way more capable than the FJ off pavement. They were both also under-powered on road. The strom was comfy on the road but lacked passing ability and sheer fun. The WR i had modded and could reach 90 mph but can you imagine 4 hours of screaming down the road on a WR?

Point is I spend most of my time on pavement, so I want the juice. Am I giving up something off pavement? Sure but the hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel the FJ has seen tells me it works just fine. And yes, it has been dropped. I have protection and some scratches. All my bikes get scratched because I ride the shit out of them.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived