Off-Road FJ-09 - What do I need?

• Premium Member
Thanks for all the responses.

I agree that many think the FJ is a street bike and would break up pretty quickly in a fall.  But it is my all-time favorite bike and I want to ride every day I can.  No room in the budget (or garage) for multiple ponies so I am researching a few affordable add-ons to help protect my buddy.

I have been stuck several times in embarrassingly shallow mud with no grip from stock tires.  I grew up on farm land with small dirt bikes so slip-sliding was part of the fun.  Hoping tires will help.  Shopping to fix that.  I know I will mostly be on pavement but like to take the trail when offered.

I love my Givi Trekker hard cases and can haul plenty of camping gear.

Matter of fact, just registered for the Horizons Unlimited event (October 6-9) in North Carolina.  Will be tent camping at Iron Horse Lodge.  Looking forward to the presentations by many WORLD Travelers.

Hope everyone continues to enjoy the FJ-09 and shares the good times with photos and stories.

Seems you've got it figured out onsite!  8-)  I hope you post a report on your upcoming 'Adventure' event.

There is a member who lives in the Yukon who is very happy with the 50-50 tires he put on the stock 17" rims.

Confession: I currently have 90-10 tires (Pirelli MT90) on my KTM 690 because I mostly ride it as a supermotard. I should have bought 50-50 tires, the MT90s don't like slick wet dirt. I'll put the knobbies back on when I feel like getting really dirty again.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 1 month later...
hell...i'm still that guy... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

com3, this picture rocks!! ;) ...probably one of the best FJ-09 pics I have seen.

i-FSkRNR4-XL.jpg
Can you please explain what happened here though?

20151227_133523-01-XL.jpg

Hit a bump in the road while two up and sheared off oil pan. I posted a thread about replacing the oil pan, which has the full story. I'm posting on mobile right now, so I can't get the link for ya

Archived