Hello from San Diego!

FJ29ER

So I have always had dirt bikes and thumpers. Been riding a DRZsm for about a year and a half and before that was either a dirt bike or dual sport. Well got a GF a few years back and recently started to really ride with me on the DRZ and one day she said through the intercom "My ass is hurting we need a bigger bike". I was excited as all hell and instantly posted the DRZ for sale. Had a Honda africa twin in mind but after really thinking about it, and realizing I have off-road,dual sport bikes I could use to get my dirt fix and commuting on the africa twin would be just not right.

So after selling the DRZ for more then what I paid for it and just doing some searching I found a good price on a brand new old stock 15 FJ-09. And after a call and about 6 hrs of heavy research and reading...I took a trip to the dealer and rode away with a beautiful new 2015 FJ-09!!!!

Things I have learned in my 45 mile ride so far...

1.I thought I had throttle control.....this bike is a whole diff situation.
2. Traction control will stay on for awhile.
3. Really unstable over 100mph..
4. Notchy trans..but good feedback..shifts smoother with minimal clutch pull
5. Very agile for its size.
6. 3 gear+ has a nice straight cut gear "sound". Almost like the bike is electric.

20160926_171925_zpshc656qrj.jpg

Thing I am looking at..

1.givi crash bars
2.yoshi tail tidy(not sure if these will interfere with yamaha side cases)
3. Levers. ASV or vortex maybe?

• Premium Member
Congratulations and welcome aboard.

For the throttle control, and a host of other issues, I recommend you re-flash your ECU, 2Wheeldyno is where I had mine done.

For the throttle control, and a host of other issues, I recommend you re-flash your ECU, 2Wheeldyno is where I had mine done.
Thank you. Ill read up on the re-flash. Any way this could have already been done at the dealer? 

I'm so jealous of the riding that is available out there. My wife is from San Diego so we frequently visit the city. Last time we were there we drove up to Julian and over to Mt. Laguna. All I could think was, "I want my bike!"

Welcome to the forum!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Thank you. Ill read up on the re-flash. Any way this could have already been done at the dealer? 

The dealer won't change the settings on your ECU for you, actually, they frown on it. There is software that allows anyone to change the settings, and improve the performance of your bike. Companies like 2WheelDyno have spent the time to figure out what settings work best with the FJ-09, and they sell the service to re-flash your ECU for you. You can read more at: https://2wheeldynoworks.com/services/ecu-flashing/ 
I had mine done, and it is a completely different bike. You get to walk through the settings with them and decide what you want done, and they are a class company. I get no money for this, but I'm sure glad I had mine done.

Hope this helps....

Thing I am looking at..

In order to use a Yosh fender eliminator (or similar) with side cases, you must remove the turnsignals. I didn't realize this when I ordered the Yosh kit. 
After reading about others having good results with the Motodynamics integrated tail light/turn signal assy I decided to spring for one. I finally installed the two kits a few days ago and I'm very, very pleased with the light kit and how the bike looks with the bags, tail kit, and lack of turn signal stalks. The LED's in the Motodynamics light are -extremely- bright, and are just as bright and viewable from extreme side angles.

20160927_231945_zpsbgsqxjw6.jpg

20160927_231919_zps0yxfy9vv.jpg

Keep Asheville weird!

The dealer won't change the settings on your ECU for you, actually, they frown on it. There is software that allows anyone to change the settings, and improve the performance of your bike. Companies like 2WheelDyno have spent the time to figure out what settings work best with the FJ-09, and they sell the service to re-flash your ECU for you. You can read more at: https://2wheeldynoworks.com/services/ecu-flashing/ 
I had mine done, and it is a completely different bike. You get to walk through the settings with them and decide what you want done, and they are a class company. I get no money for this, but I'm sure glad I had mine done.

Hope this helps....
Ok thank you for the info. Didn't know if this was like an update provided by yamaha or not. But after finding the above mentioned thread I realized it is not. I have a 5 yr warranty and do not wanna void that so I will be contacting 2 wheeldyno to aquire more info.

Thing I am looking at.. 

In order to use a Yosh fender eliminator (or similar) with side cases, you must remove the turnsignals. I didn't realize this when I ordered the Yosh kit. 
After reading about others having good results with the Motodynamics integrated tail light/turn signal assy I decided to spring for one. I finally installed the two kits a few days ago and I'm very, very pleased with the light kit and how the bike looks with the bags, tail kit, and lack of turn signal stalks. The LED's in the Motodynamics light are -extremely- bright, and are just as bright and viewable from extreme side angles.

Thanks for the info and pix! Pix are always awesome. haha. Your set up is probably what I will end up with eventually. I actually have the moto dynamics kit in my cart right now. I think after I get the side cases I will see about just shortening the "arm" that holds the license plate on to just bring it up just a tad. Found another member here that has done it and it looked good.

That looks like North County House of Motorcycles. I bet that's the bike I looked at yesterday.
Maybe....... :-X   You should get one if you can! You wont regret it!

I am working on getting one. If it is that dealership, I got a quote for $9999 OTD.

Maybe....... :-X   You should get one if you can! You wont regret it!
I am working on getting one. If it is that dealership, I got a quote for $9999 OTD.
Yep same place. Did he give you the same speal that they have a bunch in stock and the old owner ordered two many blah blah blah. Talk to JEFF (internet sales). Tell him RJ  that bought the other FJ and the one whos car got hit by the trailer to give you shirts and to give us both $50 gift cards! Mine was just shy of $11,7 w/5 yr warranty,side cases,cover. They dont seem to be budging on the setup fees and other shite. Well technically $10,7 since they caused $1k of damage to my car lol.

Archived