FJ-09 Photo Thread

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, fjdog said:

How well did your Tracer perform at that elevation?

I have ridden up over 10,000ft many times and 2-3 times over 11,000ft, the biggest thing I noticed is being a bit down on power.  I think someone posted here recently saying at 10,000ft the power is down 30%.  Harder acceleration required a lower gear than normal.

One other thing I observed this summer was a dramatic increase in fuel economy at high elevations.  At sea level I was getting an average of 46mpg and up around 8,500-9,000ft it was averaging 53mpg. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I've been up near the highest natural point in Illinois, which is near Galena, that is at a breathtaking 1,235 feet ASL.

Now I was on the design team and participated in the erection of the antenna towers atop Sears Tower (Willis Tower) in Chicago, and since have many times climbed to the top of both towers.  The tallest of the two is about 1,764 feet AGL.

I've also climbed to the top of the John Hancock Building antenna towers which are shorter than Sears.

Now if I fell from up on either building it would be at a constant velocity of 9.81 m/s.

However, in my business, people who work in high places, we know it's not the fall that kills you.

It's the sudden stop.

Same thing when crashing a motorcycle...

On 8/24/2021 at 5:59 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Now if I fell from up on either building it would be at a constant velocity acceleration of 9.81 m/s2.

Ahem...

(And neglecting air resistance) 

'15 FJ09

went to grab breakfast in south lake tahoe with my sister this morning (they live there and just got the order to evacuate about an hour ago). looked like the apocalypse as soon as I crossed over stateline with ash falling from the sky and zero visibility. the silver lining was absolutely no traffic - I haven't seen SLT this empty ever. wound up doing the lake loop and, as soon as I was about 15 mins out of SLT, it completely cleared up. met this guy on the side of the road and we chatted bikes for a bit.

hopefully not the last time I get to see south lake tahoe in one piece. I lived there for a winter season once and worked at Kirkwood back when I was 19.

photo_2021-08-29_18-15-43.jpg

photo_2021-08-29_18-15-44.jpg

photo_2021-08-29_18-15-46.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, lolocastsb said:

went to grab breakfast in south lake tahoe with my sister this morning. the silver lining was absolutely no traffic - I haven't seen SLT this empty ever. wound up doing the lake loop

Glad to hear you were able to ride there with no traffic, a few of us were in that area about 8 weeks ago.  We spent a day riding some of the passes, (Ebbetts, Carson, Monitor) and the next morning we left Carson City early to cut across to Truckee and couldn't believe the traffic around the lake first thing on a Sunday morning, it was like a music festival traffic, vehicles and pedestrians as far as you could see, we didnt even stop for a photo, we just got out of there as fast as possible.  As lovely as the scenery is, I cant see myself ever visiting there again, it was much more enjoyable riding HWY 50.  👎

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, betoney said:

Glad to hear you were able to ride there with no traffic, a few of us were in that area about 8 weeks ago.  We spent a day riding some of the passes, (Ebbetts, Carson, Monitor) and the next morning we left Carson City early to cut across to Truckee and couldn't believe the traffic around the lake first thing on a Sunday morning, it was like a music festival traffic, vehicles and pedestrians as far as you could see, we didnt even stop for a photo, we just got out of there as fast as possible.  As lovely as the scenery is, I cant see myself ever visiting there again, it was much more enjoyable riding HWY 50.  👎

it was an experience for sure, unfortunate circumstances but I'm grateful I got to ride the entire lake with no traffic. South Lake Tahoe and the west shore of Tahoe (where the photos were taken) are now under mandatory evacuation. which one of the passes was your favorite? I'm partial to Sonora but find myself doing Monitor pass at least once a week due to the closer distance.

Edited by lolocastsb

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, lolocastsb said:

it was an experience for sure, unfortunate circumstances but I'm grateful I got to ride the entire lake with no traffic. South Lake Tahoe and the west shore of Tahoe (where the photos were taken) are now under mandatory evacuation. which one of the passes was your favorite? I'm partial to Sonora but find myself doing Monitor pass at least once a week due to the closer distance.

Out of the 4 I have ridden, Sonora and Monitor were my favorite, the twisty section on 89 between 395 and Markleeville is superb. We were fortunate to ride that in both directions with no traffic. 😎👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

Out of the 4 I have ridden, Sonora and Monitor were my favorite, the twisty section on 89 between 395 and Markleeville is superb. We were fortunate to ride that in both directions with no traffic. 😎👍🏻

Have I reminded you recently that I hate you?  Because I feel like once or twice a year I need to remind you of that...  :)

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Have I reminded you recently that I hate you?  Because I feel like once or twice a year I need to remind you of that...  :)

Lol, and not to rub it in but in 2 weeks I'm going on my 6th road trip* this season... just sayin' 😎

*3 days of twisiy mountain riding that I'm calling the "7-Pass Ride".  I'm staying in Washington state and riding over Stevens, Loup Loup, Wauconda, Disautel, Sherman, Blewett and White Passes.

Let the hate continue... 😎👍

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

Lol, and not to rub it in but in 2 weeks I'm going on my 6th road trip* this season... just sayin' 😎

*3 days of twisiy mountain riding that I'm calling the "7-Pass Ride".  I'm staying in Washington state and riding over Stevens, Loup Loup, Wauconda, Disautel, Sherman, Blewett and White Passes.

Now I  hate you too.  I live in flat straight roads northern Indiana and have to truck down to the smokies over 500 miles  before I get to roads worth unloading the bike. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

I have just one question for you betoney, are you married?

If so you need to clone her you could make a fortune😉

• Haha 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.