FJ-09 Photo Thread

I notice in the one photo you have caps on the breather tube outlets and then in another photo you have those removed and have covers on the cast tube outlets?

What are you doing?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, redfjniner said:

I notice in the one photo you have caps on the breather tube outlets and then in another photo you have those removed and have covers on the cast tube outlets?

What are you doing?

I’ll let Bret answer formally, but those black plates are aftermarket block-off for the AIS.  My guess is he removed the AIS plumbing at some point previously, and just capped off the stock nipples on the valve cover.   Must have bought the actual block off plates more recently, and finally installed them while the bike was apart for other maintenance. 

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, redfjniner said:

What are you doing?

Previously after having my ECU flashed and the AIS turned off,  I had flipped and sealed the Reed valves in Bells in the cylinder head cover over and capped the OM spigots. Subsequently I bought a set of valve cover AIS overs and installed them between between the 1st photo and the next.

Have you had your ECU flashed?

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I’ll let Bret answer formally, but those black plates are aftermarket block-off for the AIS.  My guess is he removed the AIS plumbing at some point previously, and just capped off the stock nipples on the valve cover.   Must have bought the actual block off plates more recently, and finally installed them while the bike was apart for other maintenance. 

Indubitably you are correct.  Previously after my ECU Flash and the AIS turned off, I had done the old trick of flipping the AIS Reed valve stops and sealing them, and then capped the spigots as a belt in suspenders

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Both my my mother's parents families were from near Bukovina but back then (before 1890 when my grandparents immigrated to NYC) it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and they spoke German, among several languages.

The only things they rode there were carts and Huzel, and worked like them; farming mostly.

Of all the grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces, out of my grandparent's combined 26 siblings (!) who stayed until WW2, only 3 along with a few cousins survived the Nazis, Horia Sima and the Iron Guard...

Bukowina.ahe.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your family tragic fate. Yes, the first half of the 1900s (also most of the second half) had some very dark periods in Romania. Fortunately, things got better after 2000 and today is a beautiful country to live in (of course, with ups and downs).
Bucovina is still a little bit over a half part of Romania and is one of those good places to visit by motorcycle. Here is an older trip of mine there: https://vladtrips.blogspot.com/2017/06/raita-pe-la-manastiri.html .

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Let's maybe agree the latter 75% of 20th Century was not the greatest for Eastern Europe...

Both sides of my family here got by and eventually became comfortable if not flourished due to my grandparents immigrating but still face challenges to this day.  Their paths in the USA were certainly not paved with gold, though at least have not (yet) been threatened with bayonets and bullets as in the "Old Country".  But we can never forget and must stay vigilant to prevent history from repeating itself.  However, what has occurred in the last four yearsand still developing here is frightening.

I wrench and ride to clear my mind and escape the inherent pressures of modern life.

Come here and ride if you can, you won't regret it.

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

It LOOKS loud but photos can be deceiving...

Relative to stock how "bad" is it decibel wise?

It's very loud even if you get the $40 Baffle so I  wrapped it with fiberglass cloth and it's still loud but not too bad. It sounds great!

Edited by Instinct28

3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I'm going to need some more pictures of that werks muffler setup :)

I used the stock header and painted it black because some surface rust was impossible to get off for me. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought but still took me about 4 hrs, not rushing it. I'll do some more pics

Edited by Instinct28