WA Dam Deer Strike

redfjniner

Ride Report: Northern WA Dam Ride, Two Grand Tour Checkpoints and Deer Strike.

Date: September, 26-30, 2016
, 5 day, 2300 miles.
By, Ken Hattan

Bike: 05 Yamaha FJR1300

Oz2Oifp.jpg
Ride was to pickup 6 dams for the DamTour, 2 checkpoints for the Grand Tour, and to finish off a two week planned ride to VA that ended when I got sick on the second day. The deer was a surprise bonus.  See deer strike two months ago.

Day 1: This days ride was to Rockport, WA with one checkpoint, at Wynoochee Dam in the Southern Olympia National Park. Basic ride to get to the dam, up I-5 to US 12 west to Brady Rd. North to W. Boundary Rd. and then Cougar Smith Rd to Wynoochee Valley Rd. (which you can also catch off US12 just past Montesano). Wynoochee Road to the dam. This is a must do road for fun and pleasure to the dam, which is a good location to have a picnic. Lots of shade from the trees. I then returned down Wynoochee Rd to Cougar Smith Rd. which has 2.3 miles of good gravel plus some exceptional twisty stuff with excellent paving. Went on over to Shelton, WA. And had lunch at Jacks. US Hwy 101 to Olympia, then North on I-5 to WA530. 530 takes you to the Cascade foothills at about Rockport, WA. Very nice scenic ride through farm and forest lands. Stayed the night at the Totem Trail Motel just east of Rockport, and you will need to continue on to Marble Mount for either breakfast or dinner. 384 miles.

Day 2: The day with the most Dam checkpoints. First dam was Diablo, only 25 miles from the motel, is one of my favorite dams. The area is very beautiful and there is a heated toilet facility at the north end of the dam, which is not heavily used but well maintained. If you show up on the motorcycle on a cold day and need to warm the hands. This is the place. I can't say enough about WA20, North Cascade Highway, as it has scenic beauty, twisty road, lots to do if you want to, and if done early in the morning, like before 9, very little traffic. One of the must do highways in the U.S. Rode on through Winthrop and south on WA153 to US 97 to Lake Chelan to get the Chelan Dam. I crossed the Columbia River and immediately turned north on McNell Canyon Road, a steep climb out of the river gorge to the higher plateau. Excellent road for fun in the twisties. I made my way to Chief Joseph Dam on the Columbia at Bridgeport WA. Returning on WA17 and continuing on WA174 to Grand Coulee, (not on the dam list this year), a left on WA155, across Rufus Lake and north to Koontsville and a road noted to Keller, no big signs, just a small sign saying Keller. Don't miss this road, it is another fantastic twisty road. Left on WA21, to Bridgecreek Road to Inchelium, a small native Indian village. Although I have done some really nice roads today, this was my favorite with 30 miles of excellent pavement and great twisties that just go on and on, up and down. Great fun. I continued north on the west side of the Columbia to Kettle Falls getting back on WA20 to Colville and Tiger. North on WA31 to Metaline Falls and Boundary Dam. Another one of my favorite dams if you can get down below and marvel at the construction, with the generating plant carved into the mountain. Really cool. Dinner at the 5th Ave. Bar and Grill GT checkpoint. Stayed the night in Ione at the motel you have to ride a block or two to the Sinclair station to register, also a place to grab some food. Not bad. Great day of riding.++++423 miles.

Day 3: This was not Day 9, but it started like a day 9 (some will get this). 20 minutes out of Ione I was attacked by a lone Doe. She sprang out of the woods on a dead run, and immediately tried to stop from hitting me, but slide into me bumping the front plastic sections and then tearing off the saddlebag as I rode buy. It wasn't much of a strike but surely will be more than $3000 in damages. I make little of this event, but in real life it was “Ah FK another deer” as I could see it was going to hit me. Looking back in the rear-view mirror, I see my saddle and contents splaying and tumbling down the road. I made a U turn and went back to gather up the saddlebag and contents off the roadway. I expected to see her run off, but she was laying on the side of the road dead. She was a beauty and will provide someone with a good BBQ. After spending time at the scene figuring out how to attach a saddlebag without one of its mounting brackets and seeing to the broken case took some time. Using a small rope, I tied the bag on. The on to Newport to get some Gorilla tape to fix the aerodynamics and affix the fairing so it doesn't break more or fall off going down the road. From Newport I made my way to I-90 and on to Butte MT. The ride from Coeur d' Alene to French Town is very enjoyable through the mountains. At speed it is even more so. From Butte south to Idaho Falls on I-15 isn't as enjoyable. Need to be swift on this road to get it done. Stopped at Dillon for a Subway and gas then finished the day with 584 miles, arriving in Idaho Falls at 5:30 pm.

Day 4: First, I'm not leaving until the sun is up and with little rain that morning, I didn't leave the motel till 8:30 MT. I made my way to Palisades Dam slowly, making sure every bush and swale didn't have a deer ready to jump at me. Phew, this isn't fun. Well, I got the dam and that completed my 20 dams for this year. Last of the finishers, according to Steve, the Dam coordinator. On to Payette, ID. Basically I took US26 across Idaho and this is not a fun road, I was falling asleep and had to play games to wake up, so I changed course and headed for Stanley. It started to get fun after Sun Valley and the fall colors were great in the mountains. Stopped in Stanley to let my niece know I would be an hour late, and not to worry, then headed for some of the best roads in Idaho: ID21, 55 and Banks Lowman Hwy. Again, I was pretty much moving along at suggested speeds when I passed a Sheriff on the Banks Lowman Hwy and he followed me to the turn off for ID52 at Horseshoe Bend, I was laughing (LOL) cause I knew there wasn't a deer in Idaho that would jump out in front of me now. ID52 is a fun little road and is another relief from I-84 in the E-W direction. Made it to Payette at 6:30 and we went into Ontario for dinner at Fiesta Guadalajara, reasonable and great service. 487 miles.

Day 5: Heading home on one of my favorite roads, ID71 over to Oxbow, OR, although it fell under the spell, and I spent too much time looking for deer, so I spent more time taking pictures, which I kind of forgot about on most of the trip. Stopped at Annie's in Richland, a GT checkpoint, for breakfast and to just talk to some people at the restaurant. Continued on OR86, a fun road winding it's way along side the Powder River, to I-84. Stopped in Pendleton for gas and a bite, the battled the wind down the Gorge to Portland. This was by far the roughest ride, due to the wind, on the whole trip, generally a pleasant and beautiful ride turned into a battle with the wind, buffeting and just a tiring ride, and then the evening traffic of Portland, always a terrible finish to a wonderful 5 day ride. 468 miles

I posted this on Facebook the day of the deer strike: Now that I have been hit three time in the last 4 years by deer. I must be an expert. (actually a magnet) I know how they think. You are not in control. Look all you want to avoid them and it won't help. They out flank you and at a speed you can't react to save your life. Conclusion: Just ride and be happy. Don't worry, as it will spoil the ride. It's all good.

Although I think this is good advise, it is so hard to follow after the third occurrence(s). I had no problem after the first, because I thought that would be the last. I hardly even rode between the second and third so didn't have much problem then either, but after this third one, I don't know.

All Pics at: http://imgur.com/a/2ys6g  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Dang! More deer...

But I totally agree your "Doe Tracks" Design on the side case should be clear coated and left for all to see in it's glory. :)

Even if you just hang it on the wall in your garage for fun.

Driven some of those roads, ridden a few as well, and have to agree, Idaho, Washington and Oregon have some great rides. (As do MT and UT.)

But that ride from Butte to Dillon/Monida is brutal. I did it 20+ years ago in an 82 Supra, with the old 85mph max speedo. So, I just "guessed" at my speed based on RPM.. Then when I stopped for fuel, did the math/miles/time and realized I was not going 95mph... I was going 125mph....

Whoops. ":) the two PD cars I passed never even gave me a second look, the worst part was watching out for RV's with Florida plates on them. For some reason, they wait till you are RIGHT ON THEM, then move over and pass that semi... They are going 70.5, and the semi is going 70.3.. and you are going 125mph or more... Very entertaining.

ON another trip, same road, but with my 88 Supra Turbo, and some mods where it was only making about 450rwhp, this guy in a Honda Prelude just South of Butte, where the road goes up and down a few large hills, with the great gray mountains on the East side of it all... Anyway, I come up on him, only going about 135mph, on cruise control... Passed him just as we crested one of the hills, and this guy then races down the hill, passes me, and honks his horn.. SO not to be bored, or miss a fun ride, going up the next hill I took it off cruise, and passed him going up the hill and held it at just under 160mph till the top. He was done about 150ish, but when I came back off the boost, and back to 135mph again he passed me again! LOL

So the 88 only went 173mph before the RPM limit fuel cut kicks in, and at that power level would only do it down hill or level with the lights off. (Flip up headlights on that car.) The lights made enough drag you could hear it, and it would slow the car down slightly..
Anyway, passed the guy at 170 or so, he fell back, and went down to about 150/160 up the hill, then left him really far behind down the next one at 170+ again..

Did not see him again till Dillon.. I'm fueled up, and buying a Mountain Dew, and here comes the Prelude. :) The guy and his girlfriend were really cool, talked some cars for awhile, but no DANG DEER! Anyway, we played tag all the way down to Pocatello where I was living at the time, and they were from Utah.

Miss the $5.00 "energy fee" that MT used to charge if they bothered to pull you over. In cash of course. Always kept a few 5.00 bills in the car, but never needed them in MT all those "Reasonable and Prudent" speed limit days. Was passed one time by a bright yellow 911 Turbo, the guy must have been going 180+ and he was pulled over just outside Anaconda... But passed by me before the turn South on I-15/Butte.... Going at least 180mph again. :)

Ride safe, NO MORE DEER for you! :)

Great photos. Love the dam idea too.

...He was done about 150ish...

Dang... I have a Prelude and have maxxed it out at 142mph (5th gear max against rev limiter)... didn't know a prelude could do 150. Must have had lots of mods and changed the gearing.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Dang... I have a Prelude and have maxxed it out at 142mph (5th gear max against rev limiter)... didn't know a prelude could do 150. Must have had lots of mods and changed the gearing.
...because we need more ricers on our roads... pluse deer  ;) 
Sorry... I just had to. Ride safe indeed!
Hahaha! My prelude is old and stock now... just a commuter for work on days I can't/don't take the FJ.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

That makes sense, the guy in the Prelude dropped off about 150ish, so if he was limited to 143, it would explain why when i was going over 150, he dropped back.
When I talked to him and his girlfriend later in Dillon, he never mentioned the top speed of his car.

At the time, my car had a bolt on upgraded 60 trim turbo in the "stock" HKS housing ported out for the P-trim hot side, and a 60mm compressor. But it also had a ball bearing CHRA. Very fast spool, but limited by the hot side stock housing flow issues and stock exhaust manifold that also limited power to about the 450rwhp range. (Most guys with this setup were making 400 to 430rwhp, I ported the exhaust manifold, coated it with Techline thermal coatings, and ported the stock hot side housing, improving flow and waste gate control. Also my custom exhaust bolted right up to the hot side, removing another flow restriction, giving me about 20hp improvement, and everyone copied the change from there forward.)

The last engine in the 88 Supra was a built 7MGTE with Pauter 6' rods from a 327 Chevy, but Honda piston pins that are smaller and very strong. Custom ROSS pistons with the pin into the oil ring, 7.5mm more stroke on a custom crankshaft with 2" rod journals so the cheap 327 rod bearings could be used. (And the smaller diameter made it possible to use the longer rods with the added stroke, but still had to mill the engine block for clearance on the rod shoulders, and the pistons nearly came out of the lower bores, since the 7M is already stroked by Toyota stock.)
2mm larger stainless valves, full ported head by me, coated with thermals from Techline, same with the bearings, pistons etc.) Modified oil system, Canton external filter, Accusump, RX7 oil cooler, custom FMIC, custom intake pipes and mods all done by me. 880cc injectors and Walbro in the tank. Full interior with massive stereo system, 4k in brakes resulting in custom 14x1.38" Wilwood rotors, 6 piston front, and 4 piston rear, with custom steel rear hats and alloy front ones. (The stock parking brake system worked in the custom rear hats that act as drum brakes for the parking brake.) So, with those brakes, the car would stop again. ;)

On pump 91 with 30% Toulene mixed into the fuel, resulting in about 98 octane in the tank, at 23psi on the final T70 turbo, custom exhaust manifold, 50mm waste gate, ported and coated P-trim hot side, full 3" out exhaust it was seriously fast, and since the engine was built with a static 9:1 compression ratio, had LOTS of tourqe and low end. (Much more than most folks expected.) But still made over 650rwhp on good fuel.

Traction was limited in all 3 lower gears, and if it was wet, all 5 gears. It would hang you on the seatbelt with the brakes, pin you in the seat on the gas/boost and for such a heavy car, cornered pretty well. (ST bars, Tokico TEMS upgrade, B&G springs and stainless I-beam trailing arms that would not bend like the stock ones under power.)

On street tires, no burnout, easy launch, did a 12.3 at 125mph in Portland. But it was never designed as a drag car. I think my 60' time was embarassing. LOL

But give it a twisty road, or open highway? It was amazing. Still only went 173mph due to gearing. Just got there really, really fast. :)

Sorry about the hyjack, nearly punched out a small herd of deer just North of Moscow, ID one night, on my way back to Spokane. Came around a corner, and there they were. With the mods, it did not slide when I swerved to avoid, there was no other traffic, so I went into the other lane, and lucky, VERY LUCKY for me, the deer did not move. The little buggers did hit my Dad and I one evening just outside SunValley. And I've adjusted thousands of claims for deer/animal hits. They keep many repair shops in business.

One more thing: I've discovered in my older age, that I like AWD cars. Add power, and you still have traction. ;) Daily driver now is 2001 Audi S8 with only 360hp and the stock 4 piston brakes, but it's paid for, plenty fast enough, and most folks think it's an A4 or A6 and don't have a clue what's really fun to drive, and low profile to own/operate. (Don't usually get a second look from the LEO's.) :)

Archived