Ground clearance and longer travel suspension?

Is it possible? I absolutely LOVE this bike, but have one big issue with it. I have a higdonion skid plate/cage and bottom out on almost everything. Frost heaves, speed bumps, etc. I scrape the cage all the time. I ride on a lot of gravel and dirt roads and would love a bit more ground clearance and longer travel suspension. Is that possible with this bike? I saw a Japanese company made an off road version of the FZ-09. Anyone know what they did to get the increased ground clearance/suspension travel?

Thanks for that but I would rather keep my 470 LB bike vs. the Tenere's 575 LB and my 20 extra HP over the Tenere's... I love everything about this bike except the ground clearance. I don't need much, just looking for an inch or two. <- that's what she said

I think this is the bike you're talking about: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/yamaha-fz-09-adv-off-road-dual-sport/

Based on pictures, completely new front end (forks, wheel, brakes), new rear shock and several other bits and bobs - with strangely no bash plate.

It's a cool demonstration piece, but I'd question how well the FZ-09's aluminum frame would hold up for serious off-roading.

You can spend a lot of time and several thousand dollars trying your street bike into a dual sport, or you recognize you got the wrong bike and trade up to something more appropriate. If you like the FJ's low weight, Triumph Tiger 800 XC series is very similar in size, but a bit more purpose built for light off roading. Gives up a bit of horsepower to the FJ, but very close on torque.

• 1 month later...
once you figure it out, let me know! my ONLY gripe with the FJ (besides the shock being garbage and the forks being marginal) is the ground clearance. i deck it out everywhere as well. already sheared off one oil pan. haha.

Archived