Mechanical Issues Halting Purchase

dkgruv

Ok, I ve been looking at the Fj's now for over 6 months.  There are some 2015's left over in TN.  Is it only the 2015 models that have cam chain issues?  Also have seen oil pump chain break on a 2015...
They are everything on want in a bike but don't need the break downs some are having.  I'm really surprised that Yamaha is having any issues internally with the engines.  Is this on only a few or are ther issues with all of them?  
Thanks for this forum, everyone is so helpful by their pics, stories, and posts.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
If i were u i would wait for 2017 models with better looking colors and a slipper clutch..But hey !! thats just me..
But if you buy now, you can save a bunch on the 2015 year bikes. Or if you want to roll the dice, wait until 2017 are in the showrooms, and if there are any 2015's left, you will likely get a screaming deal on those. But color selection will be limited and you may not be able to find any left...

• Premium Member
And I have had my 2015 for over a year, with no mechanical issues. The cam chain tensioner is the only issue I'm aware of, and Yamaha will fix that under warranty. 

• Premium Member
Ok, I ve been looking at the Fj's now for over 6 months.  There are some 2015's left over in TN.  Is it only the 2015 models that have cam chain issues?  Also have seen oil pump chain break on a 2015... They are everything on want in a bike but don't need the break downs some are having.  I'm really surprised that Yamaha is having any issues internally with the engines.  Is this on only a few or are ther issues with all of them?  
Thanks for this forum, everyone is so helpful by their pics, stories, and posts.
Here is the link to the CCT issues: http://fj-09.org/thread/3832/bulletin-m2016-chain-tensioner-noise 
It appears that VIN numbers ending with 3117 or higher will not be affected.  But one cannot be sure since there have been issues with the CCT replacements prior to this bulletin.

My FJ09 is in the effected group (less than 3117) but makes no CCT noise. 

quit being a worrying wonda, buy the bike if you like it. everything has potential to fail regardless of what it is. shit my iphone camera failed after 10 months last month. is it going to prevent me from buying another iphone? nope.

maintain your stuff properly, and you'll be fine.

• Premium Member
just ride a demo bike and buy it if you like it and the price is right - Yamaha will fix it if you are in the very small proportion of owners who have a problem. I bet for every poster who has a funny noise based on the CCT, it is actually their anxiety about some other noise from the bike. It's a triple, it is meant to make weird noises.

Now, if you were considering a Ducati or KTM then maybe some reliability anxiety would be founded - they can spend months off the road just waiting for a $5 part to come into stock.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Looking at the serial numbers on the FJ side it calls for is less than 4k bikes... Not all 4k will have a bad CCT...
So they say.... Regardless, there is no question in my mind about the reliability of these bikes.. they will last for as long as you take care of them, and probably even if you dont.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'm with you dkgruv.

There are enough mechanical issues reported on this forum (not just the CCT issue) and some traits of it that keep *me* from buying a FJ-09, so far. I know of others on other forums who've made the exact same deduction about the FJ-09.

The FJ-09 is a great bike with a really good balance of power, weight, and ergonomics--it is the best bike for me on paper. But I'm not buying as Yammie didn't get it refined enough, yet. I've also drawn a line that my next bike *will* have cruise control, and I keep hoping that Yammie adds it.

That is my choice given my tolerance for issues and needs. :)

I like what gotfz1 said and I would also like to point out my mechanical aptitude is not the same as joeblow who think he has a problem but it's not a problem...I dont read to much into a few small problems as the internet makes it seems like it's a major problem when it's not...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I have bike number 16 off the assembly line, 7,500 miles of trouble free riding.  I had the shifter shaft replaced on recall, but never actually had an problem.  My serial number puts me in the CCT service bulliten, but I've never actually had a problem (or noise).   Remember, people like me, with no problems are out riding our bikes, and not posting.  People with issues, post(as they should).  So you end up with a misrepresentation of the number of problems.  I absolutely LOVE this forum, but I had to stop reading it on a daily basis, because it stressed me out.  Take it for what you will, but I just wanted to chime in as one of the many happy owners with no issues. (Oh no, did I just jinx myself?! :-/ )  

5500 miles since February. All weathers, all road types.  No problems (well, two punctures).  

Grin factor still good.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived