Mechanical Issues Halting Purchase

dkgruv

• Premium Member
Machines sometimes break or need mechanical attention. There is no motorcycle that doesn't require some kind of maintenance. Some are more reliable than others. One of my other bikes is a Ural w/Sidecar. It is very maintenance intensive and the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. Pick yer poison....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The other main issue with 2015 is the low hanging oil drain plug. If you bottom it out on a hard rock, it can tear a huge hole in the oil pan. I hit mine on a speed bump a few weeks ago, fortunately no damage. But you can replace with a 2016 oil pan with relocated drain plug.

• Premium Member
2015 FJ-09 - 6K miles, absolutely zero mechanical issues with this bike. I'm in the group were the cam chain could be an issue, but I haven't had any issues or noise.

They don't have cam chain issues, a limited number of bikes have had problems with the cam chain tensioner. The Tracer is mechanically very reliable http://fj-09.org/post/43908.

If you're looking for the perfect bike reliability wise you will be looking forever and end up not buying anything. Unfortunately some on this forum seem to have developed an almost pathological obsession about the CCT and demand it's replacement despite it functioning quite normally. 

Buy a Tracer it's a great bike and not just for the money, it's a great bike full stop.

CS

• Premium Member
I'm with you dkgruv. 
There are enough mechanical issues reported on this forum (not just the CCT issue) and some traits of it that keep *me* from buying a FJ-09, so far. I know of others on other forums who've made the exact same deduction about the FJ-09.

The FJ-09 is a great bike with a really good balance of power, weight, and ergonomics--it is the best bike for me on paper. But I'm not buying as Yammie didn't get it refined enough, yet. I've also drawn a line that my next bike *will* have cruise control, and I keep hoping that Yammie adds it.

That is my choice given my tolerance for issues and needs. :)

Great, see you in a few years. Next.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I just turned 18,000 on my '15 FJ-09 with no issues. I did have the recall on the shifter thing done at the dealer (not that it had caused me any problems, it hadn't). Other than that I just put extra foam in the seat 'cause I've got an old man skinny butt and needed some padding there. But other than that, just oil changes and riding!

• Premium Member
2015 FJ-09 - 7,500 miles, absolutely zero mechanical issues with this bike.  I'm in the group where the CCT could be an issue, but I haven't had any issues or noise.

Must be the high altitude is affecting your thought process, ohhh wait I am in Colorado too, absolutely love my FJ!! Zero issues and I agree with other posters that the CCT issue is more a mental internet thought process as it is on a most forums.. You will never find the perfect motorcycle and with the price that I purchased mine at adding cruise control with the factory Super Tenere switch was simple and looks factory!! 
As I am a MSF course instructor it amazes me on a daily basis how many people want the perfect motorcycle! Have never found the "perfect" motorcycle or the perfect rider, or the perfect automobile, etc etc..

2015 FJ-09 - 7,500 miles, absolutely zero mechanical issues with this bike.  I'm in the group where the CCT could be an issue, but I haven't had any issues or noise. 

Same for me. Every now and then I think I hear something and wonder 'is that the CCT?', but it's my imagination. 6,700 miles.
Keep Asheville weird!

They don't have cam chain issues, a limited number of bikes have had problems with the cam chain tensioner. The Tracer is mechanically very reliable http://fj-09.org/post/43908. 
If you're looking for the perfect bike reliability wise you will be looking forever and end up not buying anything. Unfortunately some on this forum seem to have developed an almost pathological obsession about the CCT and demand it's replacement despite it functioning quite normally. 

Buy a Tracer it's a great bike and not just for the money, it's a great bike full stop.

CS
I couldn't agree more, captainscarlet. Dozens of models from most any manufacturer have Service Bulletins or NHTSA Recalls at any given time. There is no rhyme or reason in which bikes have problems and which ones don't. It doesn't matter if it's an econo bike (FJ/FZ) or a premium bike. Ducati and BMW have had scores of SB's and recalls over the past few years. My best friend owns a R1200RT that cost 3.5x as much as my FJ and he's had it in the shop more times than I can remember.
Keep Asheville weird!

CS
I couldn't agree more, captainscarlet. Dozens of models from most any manufacturer have Service Bulletins or NHTSA Recalls at any given time. There is no rhyme or reason in which bikes have problems and which ones don't. It doesn't matter if it's an econo bike (FJ/FZ) or a premium bike. Ducati and BMW have had scores of SB's and recalls over the past few years. My best friend owns a R1200RT that cost 3.5x as much as my FJ and he's had it in the shop more times than I can remember.
Agreed... besides as a general statement Yamaha has been among the top motorcycle brands in terms of reliability for years.. this is an article from 2015 i believe... http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I don't know of any vehicle (car, truck, or motorcycle) that doesn't end up with at least couple TSB's. They may be out there, but far and few in between.

Bought mine in February 5,500 miles, no problems.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 4 weeks later...
I'm with you dkgruv. 
There are enough mechanical issues reported on this forum (not just the CCT issue) and some traits of it that keep *me* from buying a FJ-09, so far. I know of others on other forums who've made the exact same deduction about the FJ-09.

The FJ-09 is a great bike with a really good balance of power, weight, and ergonomics--it is the best bike for me on paper. But I'm not buying as Yammie didn't get it refined enough, yet. I've also drawn a line that my next bike *will* have cruise control, and I keep hoping that Yammie adds it.

That is my choice given my tolerance for issues and needs. :)

So there is such thing as a perfect bike that's had zero issues since launch? wow, TIL...

• 2 weeks later...
I have bike number 16 off the assembly line, 7,500 miles of trouble free riding.  I had the shifter shaft replaced on recall, but never actually had an problem.  My serial number puts me in the CCT service bulliten, but I've never actually had a problem (or noise).   Remember, people like me, with no problems are out riding our bikes, and not posting.  People with issues, post(as they should).  So you end up with a misrepresentation of the number of problems.  I absolutely LOVE this forum, but I had to stop reading it on a daily basis, because it stressed me out.  Take it for what you will, but I just wanted to chime in as one of the many happy owners with no issues. (Oh no, did I just jinx myself?! :-/ )   

I also have a low VIN number and no issues. Little over 2k on the clock. Couldn't be happier.

Based on Consumer Reports survey Yamaha is one of the most reliable motorcycle manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived