Dunlop Roadsmart III ?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So - Henchman - 6 months later..... RSIII comments for the crowd?
I ran several sets of Pilot Road 4 Trails on my old 'GS - front tire wear was "GS normal" with cupping and irregular wear from 10K miles on.
Was able to get 8-10K mi on the rear (too many straight roads).
They also did not like tar snakes (old Metzlers did better) - but otherwise pretty nice in dry & the rain.

Will be interested in the RSIII when the D222's need replacements.
thanks

• Premium Member
I replaced the oem tires with roadsmart 2's. I was very happy with them in all conditions. I just swapp them for some roadsmart 3's and after a few hundred miles I enjoying them every bit as much. I got almost 17,000 miles out of the 2's.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
So - Henchman - 6 months later..... RSIII comments for the crowd? I ran several sets of Pilot Road 4 Trails on my old 'GS - front tire wear was "GS normal" with cupping and irregular wear from 10K miles on.
Was able to get 8-10K mi on the rear (too many straight roads).
They also did not like tar snakes (old Metzlers did better) - but otherwise pretty nice in dry & the rain.

Will be interested in the RSIII when the D222's need replacements.
thanks

Sadly, I've only been able to add 1500 miles, so I can't comment on wear.
I don't ride in the rain, so can't comment on wet handling.
I do feel the turn-in is lighter, seems more flick-able.
They hold a line in the corners and they are stable on the straights and slab.
Grip in the dry seems good, but I ride with TC on - although I don't notice it going off at all, but I also don't stare at the dash either. :-S
I have full confidence in the corners - which is mainly what I am after.  If they happen to last a while longer and keep their shape doing it, that will be a nice bonus!

A reply from Dunlop Motorcycle Tires: 

"We are currently evaluating the Roadsmart III for the U.S market, eta hopefully early 2017 (subject to change). If you wouldn’t mind please check back with us the first of next year for more details.

Hope this helps, sorry we could not be more definitive."

What this really means, 
Dunlop USA and Dunlop UK are sitting in opposite corners of the room facing the wall with their arms crossed refusing to talk to each other. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
A reply from Dunlop Motorcycle Tires: 

"We are currently evaluating the Roadsmart III for the U.S market, eta hopefully early 2017 (subject to change). If you wouldn’t mind please check back with us the first of next year for more details.

Hope this helps, sorry we could not be more definitive."

What this really means, 
Dunlop USA and Dunlop UK are sitting in opposite corners of the room facing the wall with their arms crossed refusing to talk to each other. 

I'm in th US and I bought the 3's two months ago.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I'm in th US and I bought the 3's two months ago.
I guess 6 months was enough time to work out their differences :P 
How do you like them?

So far so good. I really enjoyed the 2's and something about these seem better. Of course that could be because their new.

Let’s go Brandon

• 5 months later...
I just put a set of 3s on my '16 09. I ran pr3s and 4s on fz1 and like them a lot. I'm giving these a try as the reviews I read said they actually lasted longer, and I was getting 10k + from the pr4s.
they've been great in the local mountains, very stable and solid leaning over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Ran a brand new RS3 in the rear starting at my track day 2 months ago. Best case, I'm on the track once a year so I use street tires. RS2 in front with about 2500 miles. They did fine. No surprises and no problems

Didn't care for my 222's, but I put on a set of RS3's and i'm very impressed.

Was going to get Michelin PR4s or Metzler Roadtecs, but my local mechanic had the RS3s on promo and he said they were pretty darn good (he's a track rider).

I took his word and he was right. I got them installed for about $120 less than the michelin's and I couldn't be happier.

• 3 weeks later...
I had Metzeler Roadtec 01s on my bike last summer. Although they are billed as being a long distance tire, they lasted only 6000 miles...or one and a half road trips.

I went to the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires in South Dakota. The feel didn't seem quite right. Turns out the dealership's tire gauge was off by 5 lbs. When I got back in the Seaatle area, I adjusted the pressure and the tires are great. I've been using them through a lot of rain with no issues. I have probably 6000 miles on them, and unlike the Metzeler tires, these show little wear. They'll last.

I also did a price comparison between these and the other alternatives like the PR5, and the Dunlop are far less expensive.

Archived