Stay away from Chevron 94 if you want a smooth running FJ

fjninersix

Hey All,

Just thought I would share my experience. I've been running Chevron 94 as a default since I bought the bike and started to notice, especially at low speed, how rough my FJ ran. Fortunately, at one point on a ride last week I had to fuel with 91 Octane at Esso and noticed an immediate change - better low speed torque, way smoother engine response and generally a nicer ride. I've seen experimented and have come to the conclusion that my FJ does not like Chevron 94 as basically any 91 Octane fuel runs way better. 

Save a few cents and stick to the 91, IMO!

Hey All, 
Just thought I would share my experience. I've been running Chevron 94 as a default since I bought the bike and started to notice, especially at low speed, how rough my FJ ran. Fortunately, at one point on a ride last week I had to fuel with 91 Octane at Esso and noticed an immediate change - better low speed torque, way smoother engine response and generally a nicer ride. I've seen experimented and have come to the conclusion that my FJ does not like Chevron 94 as basically any 91 Octane fuel runs way better. 

Save a few cents and stick to the 91, IMO!

I have been  running the mid grade since new and have had no problems, like pinging.  Get good gas mileage too.  I also have had no problem when I had to use Regular, 87 when that was all that was available.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Did you use the same gas station for the Chevron? Might be something about the tanks, not the gas itself. Chevron should be one of the better brands out there.

I put almost whatever premium I find in the tank and occasionally ethanol free. I'm not tracking mileage in detail, but I've only ever had one bad experience at a no-name gas station where I got ~ 1/2 the mileage I normally do (this on another bike). Refueled and never had another problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Resurrecting this as I was about to post that I had hesitation issues ONLY in 'B' mode (low speed, as in parking lot / leaving parking lot speed) which I never noticed before.

Now that I read this I do currently have Petro Canada 94 in my tank (been the last few tanks)

I normally use either Shell gold or Petro 94... but if this is the cause (not that I use B mode that often.... mostly just to have smoother parking lot exit)

Would be interesting to hear from others.

Archived