Cruise control

jamboa

• Premium Member
I'm scared of these--too many horror stories here and elsewhere of near-misses while panic breaking with it on.  My riding is exclusively commuting in unpredictable traffic, so the occasional panic breaking is an unavoidable reality.
I've used the "NEP CC-2 Cruise Control/Throttle Lock ("Fits: many OLD Yamaha w/ 7/8" handlebars") on my FJ for the past year and a half. It's meant for a single throttle cable (different setup than what we have) but fits very easily with just the use of a small zip-tie (or in my case a narrow strip of velcro cable tie) to keep it in position. Nice and thin so it doesn't have any trouble fitting in the gap between the throttle grip and the mounting clamp.

I've used a similar NEP throttle lock on my ST1100 for about 20 years. Very simple, and works great!

Easy on & off with the thumb lever. I wouldn't usually have it on while commuting but it can easily be activated to temporarily free up your right hand for something, and then just flip it off again. Can also easily override it and close the throttle if needed. Do a quick search in the forum and you'll see other mentions of it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm scared of these--too many horror stories here and elsewhere of near-misses while panic breaking with it on.  My riding is exclusively commuting in unpredictable traffic, so the occasional panic breaking is an unavoidable reality.

The lock works for me. I don't use it when I'm in traffic. It does disengage when you apply the front brake.

Let’s go Brandon

The lock works for me. I don't use it when I'm in traffic. It does disengage when you apply the front brake.
Unless the go cruise is radically different than omni cruise http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/omni-cruise-universal-cruise-controlthrottle-lock), applying the front break with it engaged actually causes the bike to accelerate. From the product reviews:  
"when I need to brake all-of-a-sudden, the clamp is so tight that my throttle rolls open when I brake (since the brake lever pushes the throttle lock backwards and thus the grip as well). It's like a stunt to pull the brake lever back with good force while also twisting the throttle closed. You're doing this while still trying to concentrate on what's in front of you (and behind if you can) so you can apply the appropriate amount of braking power. It's... not a comfortable feeling."

I've seen a dozen or so people on various forums that have actually had real world near-misses because of this.

• Premium Member
You roll the throttle back, push the go cruise foreword till it rests on the brake lever. That holds the throttle open. When you squeeze the brake fever it slides the go cruise back and releases the throttle. It works well and I've used it a lot. Never had a problem with it accelerating the bike when braking.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
You roll the throttle back, push the go cruise foreword till it rests on the brake lever. That holds the throttle open. When you squeeze the brake fever it slides the go cruise back and releases the throttle. It works well and I've used it a lot. Never had a problem with it accelerating the bike when braking.
Would you see any issue in using this over foam grips of the Grip Puppies variety, or thicker?
That is the exact set up I have. Go cruise over grip puppies. The technique I use is- Go slightly faster than your desired speed (3-4 mph) push go cruise into position and you're set. I have found that I must leave my hand on the throttle or it will very slowly lose speed. You can take you hand away for short periods of time, but just gently resting you hand on the throttle is necessary to maintain speed.
Just remember it is just holding the throttle in a fixed position. So if you start going up a hill you slow down and going down you will speed up...
For the price. It is an acceptable adjunct....
YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Would you see any issue in using this over foam grips of the Grip Puppies variety, or thicker?

I have the grip puppies. I left enough room on the inside end of the grip for the rubber ring to fit directly on it. when its "locked" (it doesn't lock, only holds it tight enough to keep the throttle in place) I don't have to keep my hand on the grip at all.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I have the grip puppies. I left enough room on the inside end of the grip for the rubber ring to fit directly on it. when its "locked" (it doesn't lock, only holds it tight enough to keep the throttle in place) I don't have to keep my hand on the grip at all.
Never even crossed my mind... :o  How dumb is that???  Time for some delicate work with the razor knife. :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Never even crossed my mind... :o  How dumb is that???  Time for some delicate work with the razor knife. :)

I didn't even do that. It hangs off the end of the grip jus a litttle. With a he hand guards on you can't really tell.

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 months later...
Lack of cruise control is the most glaring feature left off of this bike IMO. There was an aftermarket add-on for electronic CC but it looks like it's no longer available. Is anyone using e-CC from another maker?
I love the CC on my Tenere...it has me spoiled and I can't see riding on long trips without it.

Lack of cruise control is the most glaring feature left off of this bike IMO. There was an aftermarket add-on for electronic CC but it looks like it's no longer available. Is anyone using e-CC from another maker?I love the CC on my Tenere...it has me spoiled and I can't see riding on long trips without it.
I have this: http://www.mccruise.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-fj-09-new-throttle-by-wire-mccruise?variant=16868803012 

IMG_4016.jpg

• Premium Member
Lack of cruise control is the most glaring feature left off of this bike IMO. There was an aftermarket add-on for electronic CC but it looks like it's no longer available. Is anyone using e-CC from another maker? I love the CC on my Tenere...it has me spoiled and I can't see riding on long trips without it.
It would appear that Cruzin's CC kit is no longer available.  Unfortunate.  It was the best option for adding electronic cruise control to our bikes.  MC Cruise is another option and uses the same main module, but has a custom harness for our bikes.  Pretty much plug & play from what I hear.  Pricey though. 
Before either of those were available, I added a Rostra cruise kit to my bike.  Less expensive than the others, but pretty involved.  I wouldn't recommend it unless you like a challenge and are handy with tools and electronics.  If you're curious, you can check out my thread on the install here.

I have the mccruise with a Tenere switch instead of their box switch. Makes it look stock. I've been happy with it so far. Expensive. You need to take the bike apart pretty far but the instructions are very detailed which made the install pretty easy. There's no soldering required too. I pretty well use it every time I go out given Indiana's long straight roads.

How well does it work? Are you in Australia? Visited there a while back, would like to get back there. :)
I live in California.  Ordered the kit on line Sunday night payed with paypal.  Kit was at my door on Thursday.  The install was detailed but not difficult and took about four hours. 
Works perfectly.  Perhaps not as smooth as the cruise on my BMW's was but totally acceptable.

Archived