FJ-09, FZ-07, FZ-09, FZ-10 OIL FILTER

vrex

• Premium Member
Well, I/we have a good reason for running an OEM filter & Yamalube oil as well. A 20 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the motor if I use their products. :-) Have to run their oil, filter & drain plug gasket for the warranty. And it's transferrable. How many knew of this and took advantage? Dealer didn't even know about it!http://www.yamalubeadvantage.com/
Wow, never heard of that. That's certainly a compelling reason to stick with the Yamaha supplies if you plan to keep your bike for a while. Too late for me, alas.

Well, I/we have a good reason for running an OEM filter & Yamalube oil as well. A 20 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the motor if I use their products. :-) Have to run their oil, filter & drain plug gasket for the warranty. And it's transferrable. How many knew of this and took advantage? Dealer didn't even know about it!http://www.yamalubeadvantage.com/
This may be a testament to the confidence that Yamaha has in this engine... not sure it's such a great deal though. The 5 pages of terms and conditions look pretty sneaky, and understandably so. Labour to replace defective "wetted" parts not covered? Expensive insurance policy IMO (translating to minimum $300CDN/yr for just the oil changes for my type of riding, <20,000 km/yr). Am I reading this all wrong?
Well there's always the fine print. :-) You can do your own O&F changes; just keep the recipients and register on-line the date & mileage. You can buy the O&F anywhere you want (ie mail order to save money). I'm paying $7.50 for each oil filter, $1.20 for each drain plug washer, and about $4.60/quart for Yamalube 10/40; so about $24 per oil change per 4000 miles. Even at 3K oil changes that's only about $100 for O&F & washer in 20,000km. So for me anyway your numbers don't add up. And even going cheap (price-wise) filters & oil you're still going to spend something like $50-60 in 20,000km? So $40-50 more per 20,000km (12,400 miles) is only  40 cents more per 100 miles than you'd have to spend as a minimum anyway.You have to register your FJ-09 to have the Warranty in the first 500-700 miles from purchase so if you're over 700 miles you can't do it anyway; but if your bike's new can't see why you wouldn't do it. About $400-500 more in 20 years/100,000 miles than you'd spend at a minimum anyway. Cheap insurance actually. 

• Premium Member
The Yamalube warranty is not available in Europe - although, there are a number of consumer protection laws that might cover an engine failure outside the maker's warranty period as long as you can demonstrate the maintenance has been completed to the correct schedule and the engine has not been abused (e.g. an ECU flash or non-approved exhaust would not go down well)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

I'm paying $7.50 for each oil filter, $1.20 for each drain plug washer, and about $4.60/quart for Yamalube 10/40; so about $24 per oil change per 4000 miles. 
Bruce, 
Where are you getting the oil & filters for those prices.  

Cheapest I've found is at https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

No tax and $5.00 total shipping, and RMATV will price match.

Yamalube Performance All Purpose 4-Stroke Oil 10W-40 1 Gallon
Part #1285450001
Mfg. #LUB-10W40-AP-04

$18.26
MSRP: $20.99

Yamalube Performance All Purpose 4-Stroke Oil 10W-40 32 oz.
Part #1285450002
Mfg. #LUB10W40APQT

$5.08
MSRP: $5.99

ELEMENT ASSY, OIL CLEANER
Part #131204030376
Mfg. #5GH-13440-50-00

$10.39
MSRP: $12.99

ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER
Part #131204035513
Mfg. #1RC-14451-00-00

$30.33
MSRP: $36.99
Revzilla @$24.35 

BTW, I registered at 600 miles (not before 500) and have been logging my oil changes (almost at 8,000 miles since July including every 3rd ride I run my 106,000 mile 1998 Honda VTR1000F), though their web site has been buggy and the last (my 2nd) oil change I had to email Yamaha and they eventual had to log it for me. I'm hoping the bugs will be ironed out before my next change.

You have 12 months to purchase Yamaha's extended warranty, which I'm considering (my local stealer wants like $570 last I checked).  What do you think of that added option??

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
If you are running Mobil One oil use their filter the M1MC-134; best deal I've found is through Pep Boys when they have a sale, which seems to be every other week (E-mail). Order it online and then pick it up from your local store just a couple days later.
Super quality filter, fits great. Thanks for the tip about pep boys.  Found mine and some Rotella oil on Amazon on sale and bought enough of both to last awhile, but nice to have a backup plan. 

• 2 years later...

As an alternative, consider adopting the European - and rest of the world - maintenance schedule recommended by YAMAHA in the OEM Owner's Manual: Oil changes every 10,000kms/6,000miles and oil filter changes every 20,000km/ 12,000 miles. The HAYNES manual lists both the European and North American schedules too. SAME recommended OIL: YAMALUBE or API SG or better or JASO MA. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, FJr said:

As an alternative, consider adopting the European - and rest of the world - maintenance schedule recommended by YAMAHA in the OEM Owner's Manual: Oil changes every 10,000kms/6,000miles and oil filter changes every 20,000km/ 12,000 miles. The HAYNES manual lists both the European and North American schedules too. SAME recommended OIL: YAMALUBE or API SG or better or JASO MA. Thoughts?

I'm following the owners manual oil change interval for the first year, when the warranty expires I will go with 10,000 km intervals. Did the same with my Super Tenere, 3 years old with 85k and running fine with 10,000 km intervals although I do replace the filter every time. I use Yamalube semi-synth 10w50 and Yamaha filters.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

6k miles between oil changes?? Count me out!!!... Mind you the FJ-09 barely has 2.75qt of oil to be shared with transmission and engine... I can understand if the oil capacity was like 8qt and didn't share oil with the transmission to achieve 10k mile oil changes...but around 2500-3000 miles I notice the oil is basically water due to how the bike shifts... 

Oil/filter change is what $30 bucks??? 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived