• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How to clean the radiator fins?

I'm curious as to how people clean their radiators from stuck bugs and other small debris. I know the fins are pretty fragile so I'm wary of trying to use a stiff brush.

So what's the best and safest way of cleaning it?
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

• Premium Member
send them out the way they came in - low pressure garden hose from the rear of the radiator to expel them. Probably best to wet them first with soapy water, leave to soften then spray with water from the rear. I would not use a pressure washer.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm with wessie on this one. When dry if there are still remnants I use a very very small fine flat screwdriver just to get to them and lift them out.....you have to be very careful.

Best thing is to invest in a rad guard....takes that panic of getting a rock thru it and stopping your ride. Well worth the money.
Quite a few options to chose from, all boils down to personal preference (FWIW - I have the OEM).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I'm with wessie on this one. When dry if there are still remnants I use a very very small fine flat screwdriver just to get to them and lift them out.....you have to be very careful. 
Best thing is to invest in a rad guard....takes that panic of getting a rock thru it and stopping your ride. Well worth the money.
Quite a few options to chose from, all boils down to personal preference (FWIW - I have the OEM).

Yep I have the Evotech on my wishlist. Sometime this winter, in time for spring riding :)

2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

As a fabricator of industrial thermocoolers for 10yrs now, I recommend ppl use a rad guard...believe it or not it takes quite a bit of road dirt, bug guts, a lot of bent fins, and plugged up tubes, etc to render your radiator useless... a hole is your biggest worry then a few bent fins or bug guts...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived