US 2017 models up on Yamaha site (new color: white!)

I read that the European FJ will have 2 stage selectable traction control, yet no work of that either on the US site.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

The clutch cover in their press shots looks slightly different (and it doesn't have the little plastic heat guard) so it's probably a safe bet that it will have the A&S clutch like the rest of the world.

One somewhat interesting thing is that the press shots shots for the "accessorized" model still shows the old style hard side cases. In Europe they're pushing new cloth covered semi-soft side cases like the ones featured in the press shots for the Tracer 700. I like the look of new semi-soft ones better to be honest and wish they were available when I needed bags - but maybe we're not getting those ones in the US anyway, at least not yet.

Since Yamaha seems to have finished with all their US 2017 announcements today, I'm still a little disappointed that they're still not bringing over the XSR700 or Tracer 700.  They are at the very least making ABS available as an option on the FZ-07 now.

In some hypothetical scenario where I could own two bikes, I would get an XSR700, I think they're beautiful (much more so than the XSR900)

According to the model specification page the FZ09 gets the Assist and Slipper clutch. But the FJ09 does not get A & S clutch. 
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/supersport-touring/models/2017/fj-09/compare/?compId=57e028682a0ab752e816d7bc
Probably just an oversight. It absolutely makes no sense that the US FJ-09 would keep the old clutch when everything else in the same product line and the entire rest of the world gets the new one. 
Between that and the clutch cover in their studio photos being different, I think it's pretty safe to assume someone just forgot to update the spec sheet...but never say never I guess.  Perhaps Yamaha chose the US to be the sucker that uses up their stock of the old clutch parts.

• Premium Member
Saturday, 10/15/16, I'm heading over to the Daytona Soeedway to demo some new bikes. I'll report back on what's going on at the Yamaha demo area. I drove by yesterday with my wife but we couldn't stop by. I glanced over and saw two FZ-10's and... dare I say it... looked like a version of a FJ-10... :-0 Now I don't want to spread rumors so I'll get up close Saturday and post what I find...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Guest autobiker
The clutch cover in their press shots looks slightly different (and it doesn't have the little plastic heat guard) so it's probably a safe bet that it will have the A&S clutch like the rest of the world. 
One somewhat interesting thing is that the press shots shots for the "accessorized" model still shows the old style hard side cases. In Europe they're pushing new cloth covered semi-soft side cases like the ones featured in the press shots for the Tracer 700. I like the look of new semi-soft ones better to be honest and wish they were available when I needed bags - but maybe we're not getting those ones in the US anyway, at least not yet.

Since Yamaha seems to have finished with all their US 2017 announcements today, I'm still a little disappointed that they're still not bringing over the XSR700 or Tracer 700.  They are at the very least making ABS available as an option on the FZ-07 now.

In some hypothetical scenario where I could own two bikes, I would get an XSR700, I think they're beautiful (much more so than the XSR900)

I'm happy that the new A&S clutch will be a straightforward retrofit onto my '15 FJ-09. I don't think I can update the TC (or maybe I can via an ECU flash?) but I don't think I need a very sophisticated TC system for my sport-touring mount. The omission of factory cruise control, though, is surprising. What the heck is Yamaha thinking, giving cruise to FZ-10 but not FJ-09? 
By the way, I have the Euro-spec soft ABS side cases; I got them with the bike from the previous owner. They're high-quality items made by SW-MOTECH for Yamaha, and very lightweight. The brackets are quick-release, leaving only a few inconspicuous bits on the bike. My biggest problems with them, though, are first, a full face helmet won't fit; and second, they're only water-resistant and come with roll-top dry bags. I ride in all kinds of weather and I don't want to mess with layers of waterproofing, so I decided to go for FJR hard bags. I've got the bags and need to get them painted, and I'm waiting for the mounts to arrive. If you're seriously interested in getting the Euro ABS side cases, PM me and we can work something out.

The Tracer 900 owners used to need to ship FJ-09 city cases from the US. The European dealers only carried the soft ABS cases. Now, the city cases are marketed for the Tracer 700. So Tracer folks there can get the bags much more easily, and order the French bottom mounts. No more waiting for transatlantic shipments.

Oh and before I forget. The new white FJ-09 reminds me of the police model. I really like how it looks, and I think it can definitely fool a few people from afar. If only Yamaha sold the Police model with its longer swingarm to the public, or make the longer swingarm an option!

I really thought the 2017 would have cruise control. not a fan of the new colors
same here. 

Glad i ordered and picked up my 2016 recently. 

The front cowling above the headlights looks daft in carbon effect imo. I guess its cheaper to do though... 

Between that and the clutch cover in their studio photos being different, I think it's pretty safe to assume someone just forgot to update the spec sheet...but never say never I guess.  Perhaps Yamaha chose the US to be the sucker that uses up their stock of the old clutch parts.
I would think it would also make no sense for the Tenere and the sport-oriented FZ-10 to have cruise and the sport-tourer FJ-09 to not. But crazier things have happened... 
I'm just hoping that they've somehow forgot to update the specs to mention cruise, but that seems highly unlikely. A guy a dream though, right?

Guest bruinfj09guy
I'm a big fan of the blue, and a bigger fan of the white! (Then again, I was a big fan of the red, but would probably like the white for the "newness.")

I don't see an FJ-07 on the US site, though. Not that there's a need.

Archived