factory yamaha side cases issue

FJ29ER

So i am having a issue with fitment on the right side case. I already warrantied the right case cause there was a issue with it. But after getting the replacement case it seems to be a issue with the bike as well that probably caused the issue with the box.

I cannot lock the case into place. the handle will not push down all the way because the tab that pushes up does not line up with the hole. I removed the rubber piece at the end of the leg that bolts to the frame and it mounts but it still harder then the left side.

Anybody experience issues?

I did not read the instructions when I installed them at the moto shop because it is pretty fool proof. and they are in the trash... But after checking out the bike and thinking about causes...I realized the bracket that holds the rear brake reservoir might need to be between the foot peg mount and the bag mount instead of the bag mount and frame...which would bring the bag mount in about 1/8 in which could make it work...but the way the bag mount is fitted perfectly to the contour of the foot peg mount...it would make the surfaces that meet up for the two bolts that hold to the frame be crooked...so idk.

Can anybody who had these dealer installed check where that bracket is for me....

before I go to the dealer again.

Still having tightness in the handle but maybe it will loosen up.

20161013_1702131_zpsasr7q0b1.jpg

20161013_1703041_zps65e5dv5s.jpg

20161013_1722141_zpsrlruwcim.jpg

CLick for video 

th_20161013_1722151_zpshxsqcmox.mp4

• Premium Member
I installed mine per the instructions. The bracket for the brake reservoir is between the sidecase support bracket and the frame. And I have no issues.
20161014_073102_zpsymnxbebz.jpg 
20161014_073005_zpsk2wryjpm.jpg
20161014_073334_zpscwriofsu.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Every once in a while, I have to reach in and push the tab over so it slides in. IMHO, the right side bracket fitment is a little off in the design. It's never bothered me enough to bitch to Yamaha, but I rarely take the bags off...

This was brought up in a thread here about a year ago...

• Premium Member
Every once in a while, I have to reach in and push the tab over so it slides in. IMHO, the right side bracket fitment is a little off in the design. It's never bothered me enough to bitch to Yamaha, but I rarely take the bags off... 
This was brought up in a thread here about a year ago...

+1 but I always need to give a little push with one finger to guide it in

Guest autobiker
I've read somewhere on this forum that the solution is to move the top mounts about 1/2" outwards from the subframe using spacers / washers and longer bolts.

I've read somewhere on this forum that the solution is to move the top mounts about 1/2" outwards from the subframe using spacers / washers and longer bolts.
Yes, it may have been this: http://fj-09.org/post/43833 
After fitting a rear rack:
"The kit includes 4 x 12mm/ ½” spacers for the new bolts that go into the pannier frames. It’s a lot easier now to fit and remove the panniers as they are shifted outboard by that amount… a light smear of Vaseline on the mounting lugs also helps."

Mine has to this too, but I just reach behind and guide the tab into the slot with my finger. It's not like I'm mounting and taking off the side cases every 5 minutes, so I didn't find it to be worth doing anything about.

Mine has to this too, but I just reach behind and guide the tab into the slot with my finger. It's not like I'm mounting and taking off the side cases every 5 minutes, so I didn't find it to be worth doing anything about.
Yea I mounted it on sunday and it went on actually pretty easy. But my main concern is when I push the handle down all the way it flexes the bracket that holds the handle to the box...Im afraid that this will eventually break so im kinda worried. Especially if it breaks out of warranty. I am going to the dealer today to pick up my plates etc so I will bring it up and show them and see if they have had any other complaints. 

Archived