Aerostich Roadcrafter R-3

keithu

I have been wearing Aerostich for over 25 years. Living in the NW I have lots of experience with rain. In fact, I commute regularly between Portland and San Francisco. I have done that ride in all possible weathers both inland routes and coastal. Over the years I have had both one piece and 2 piece Roadcrafter's (Somehow never have tried the Darien model). They were always "Mostly" waterproof, but now with the improved rubberized zippers, they are really water proof. The main trick I have learned with them is in hard rain, you must wear your waterproof gloves inside the sleeve cuffs, as water will get into your gloves if the gauntlet is outside. the other thing is to make sure you keep the suit clean and wash in surface water proofing as the fabric needs to have a "Durable surface coating" or it will absorb water. It will still be waterproof but very heavy. If properly maintained, It is a wonder. I have ridden many, many full days in rain, hard coastal and mountain rain, and stayed dry.
My personnel kit includes a classic two piece roadcrafter suit for LD, and a light weight unlined one piece for local riding (Easy on and off over clothes). 
I have my bike wired for Warm and Safe heated jacket and/or heated base layer (Base layer is brilliant new concept heated gear-check it out). My travel kit also includes a selection of water proof gloves included W&S heated ones, and Gore tex lined boots. All of this stuff needs regular maintenance like any other good gear. If you care for it, it will last for a very ling time and your riding season will be longer and more comfortable and safe.
Most of my friends who do long distance riding seem to like the Darian better and say it is more versatile. 
I did not grow up with such wonderful gear. I am 73 and have been riding for over 60 years. Prior to finding Aerostich, I wore leather. In foul weather that meant wearing a bag of water. Well, the bikes have improved as well so I am able to ride longer and further without mechanical problems, but I also believe that my kit; Aerostich and Warm and Safe make it possible to do so in any weather. 

• Premium Member
Interesting advice about gloves in rain. I would expect water to creep into the sleeves if you wear the gauntlets inside the sleeves. But what you're saying is definitely true, water wicks into my gloves on long rainy rides.

Keithu
Aerostich Roadcrafter sleeves have a very secure double fastening and close over glove gauntlets forming a very complete seal. Give it a try, It works. 
I am not sure about other brands of jackets but I am sure good ones also has secure wrist closures. 

• Premium Member
I agree about the suit cuffs over the gloves but the forearms on both my RC 2-pc and Transit 2 are tight making getting a gauntlet up inside a bear. I run the old Cortech Hydro GT gloves which are wp with good armor but am looking at the Held Air N Dry & its BMW clone 2-in-1, and for colder weather the held Twin Goretex; all three have decent armor. In warm wet weather when I do't care if my hands get wet if they stay warm enough I wear the Rukka Sun stretch poly-amide and Kevlar short cuff gloves that have a fair bit of knuckle armor and a hard palm slider too. I also have the rain 3-finger gloves.

I just don't know if it's worth the money to get waterproof zippers put in my old 2-pc RC1 unless I loose about 25 pounds (late mid-age spread after 25 years with the custom tailored RC1).

My original TCX Tour-X Gortex boots (only available in Europe but they now have a comparable US X-Tour EVO Gore-Tex) are the absolute bomb. I also have a couple more TCX wp boots, their racing boot and a pair of A* SMX+ the latter two I can get a pair of rubber Totes over.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately it's not clear to me if the waterproof zippers on the R-3 are available for the 2-piece suit.

The main and leg zippers are waterproof on 2-piece suit. Received my custom 2-piece suit last week. 

IMG_20170404_171032.jpg

doesn't look like there is any armor, my Motoport suit (jacket/pants) has plenty
The stich comes with plenty of armor in the knees, elbows, and shoulders.
And you can add chest, hip, and back protectors. With all of the optional pads in place it starts to get quite heavy!

The stich comes with plenty of armor in the knees, elbows, and shoulders.
And you can add chest, hip, and back protectors. With all of the optional pads in place it starts to get quite heavy!
I believe it. My Motoport suit is kinda heavy with all the protection in.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone have tips on buying a used 'stich? 
I've been stalking ebay and craigslist for a one or two piece 40L or 42L, and man they are few and far between.
As @huck mentioned earlier, the best way to extend the life of a 'stich is diligence in maintenance. And really, this philosophy could be applied to most things… but to your question specifically. Your best bet is to contact a seller directly and inquire about their maintenance schedule to get a sense of the gear's condition. Then, I balance the price for the condition. There is a fair bit that can be done to "revitalize" an old but well maintained 'stich. As long as the fabric has been properly maintained, it may be worth picking up a used suit and shipping it to Aerostich to have them perform the most appropriate "refurbish" services. The key for me would be to ensure that the fabric has been properly cared for.

• Premium Member
An older Aerostich is likely to have a few broken zipper pulls. This shouldn't be off-putting because they're easy to replace.

I'm not sure what maintenance an Aerostich needs besides periodic cleaning. Once every couple of years I take my Roadcrafter to a laundromat with large front loaders and launder the Aerostich with wash in water repellent. (Remove the armor before laundering.)

I'm not sure what other maintenance is needed. Perhaps I'm a bad Aerostich owner but my first 'stich is 20 years old now and still serviceable.

Archived