Top speed Blow Back

So I'm extremely disappointed to find that the Top Speed of the FJ-09 in North America seems to be limited to 115 mph.

All the advertising promotions and reviews that I've seen said that it was based straight off the FZ-09 with identical motor and drive train (135 mph+) like it does in Europe.  I did see most of them say the throttle mapping had been redone to take out the snatchy throttle response of the FZ. I [strong]didn't[/strong] see anywhere Yamaha or any reviewers say " Oh yea. By the way we took [strong]20%[/strong] off the top end for the FJ in North America compared to the FZ just because." And I did a lot of research. Did anyone else see anything indicating the neutered top end?
       I bought this bike because I assumed better performance compared to my previous bike (which it won't have without a reflash).
    I would have thought twice before buying had I known they shaved close to 20% off the top end. In fact I doubt I would have.

I feel deceived and  I would urge all FJ owners to call Yamaha (not the dealer) and complain about this.  Then maybe Yamaha will do something about it. (as they did with the FZ) 
    As far as I'm concerned Yamaha should pay for the reflash. Then my disappointment will be assuaged.
     It's not just the fact that our performance expectations of this bike aren't being met without a several hundred dollar aftermarket fix....      It's principle.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn dude settle down. I think I speak for most I didn't buy this type of bike because I plan on flying around at triple digits. I've twisted over 100 once. It was enough. When I want to hoon I turn off the traction control and rip a few nice power wheelies. I bought the bike to ride with better wind protection, great handling and ABS. Not to try and ride with crotch rocket meat heads blasting down the highway at take my bike and license speeds. Are there canyon roads you need to go over 115 to have fun on? Me thinks you bought the wrong bike.

I disagree Randy. Many of us are disappointed that the  top speed is 15-20% less than they expected. Why does it do 135mph in Europe?
   Most of us bought this bike under the understanding it has FZ engine performance (with smoother throttle response) with additional touring accessories and even better handling characteristics. In other words we thought it was an FZ plus not an FZ neutered.
   I don't think I need to link 100 reviews that all verify what I just said. None of the reviews or advertisements say the motor has been neutered for the FJ, only that the throttle response was smoothed out. They do however all say it's basically an FZ with smoother throttle response, better suspension and touring enhancements. That's why we paid the extra thousands of dollars.
    I do want to take it through mountain curves and twisties. I want a comfortable easy riding position for long HWY trips ( at legal limits). But I also want to take my bike to the track too. I assumed it went 135+. Why? Because it does this speed in Europe. Because of the advertising and reviews.  I want the 135mph+ all research indicated it should have. This is partly what sold me and I dare say most of us on the bike.( "the bike that does it all" as one review stated)
   I think my post is balanced, truthful and concise. Though I am pissed, I'll try not to be over the top Randy.

I guess we all made some assumptions. Watching vids of the bike in Europe I saw more than one rider get 206 to 208kph. I doubt Yamaha or any manufacturer would disclose a bike's top speed, limited or not for legal reasons. It sucks for sure...just not sure it's something we can hope Yamaha will change in a factory ECU reflash.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I don't like feeling I've been deceived Randy. Especially when I've done extensive research to avoid the unexpected before paying thousands of $$$$$.  
  Read the thread FJ-09 Dyno numbers (among others) where many of us are disappointed.

The FZ-09 pulls wheelies in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Hell, maybe even 5th.

Sometimes these are unexpected.

FJ-09 is a low priced Sport tourer.

Many new riders will buy this bike.

Many new riders have looped out their FZ-09's by mistake and landed on their asses in the middle of the road.

There are also reports of High Speed wobble/tank slapping on the FJ-09.

If I owned a mega corporation I would do my best to avoid lawsuits when possible.

I would also do my best to keep my customer's insurance costs down.

I suspect this is playing a role here with the FJ-09 for Yamaha.

You guys try to avoid strong words and be nice to ea other while I play in the twisties on my FZ-09.

Ok, me go riding now. :D

Well said. I've edited a couple of the posts in this thread because I am quite pissed and got a bit snarky for some. Hopefully they now convey my point without being offensive.
My apologies.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

I'm in the midst of scouring my area for the cheapest FJ-09 I can lay my grubby mitts upon, and I must admit that the idea that this bike is possibly speed limited to 115 mph is disconcerting. While I don't often ride above 100 mph, I would like the ability to go faster, especially for track days.
That said, I'm still going to buy the bike, as the overwhelming majority of my riding is done at less than 115 mph.

Also, I feel fairly confident that the aftermarket will fix this issue via a reflash, or perhaps some enterprising electrical engineer will create some electronic, plug and play fix.

What strikes me as most odd is the relatively low MPH figure being quoted. I suspect there may be step through maxi scooters that have a higher top speed. This makes me wonder if the bike has some sort of design-induced instability at high speed, or perhaps at high speeds with bags and/or trunk mounted...

I hit triple digits today (on a closed course) of course;) just to get a feel of high speed wind turbulence.  Very plush riding stock bike setup I may say.  I wonder if the 3 different drive modes have a different limit of top speeds?

Last year I purchased 2013 Honda F6B and 2013 Honda CB1100, great fun bikes. Many folks were upset when they bought these bikes because they were "limited". I do believe this is a trend in mc manufacturing to lessen liability. I think more so in touring type bikes, reason being people that use these type bikes will load them up while touring. With all kinds of stuff hanging off the bike can high speed stability be predicted? I believe manufacturers are doing this before Big Brother or Insurance Companies (they could really jack up premiums with known problems) step in and do it their way. Yes, it sucks but I think we saw this coming when years ago manufacturers got together and limited top speed to 187-9 mph (or something like that).

• Premium Member
years ago manufacturers got together and limited top speed to 187-9 mph (or something like that).
I could live with 187-9 mph on my FJ. 8D 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Well said. I've edited a couple of the posts in this thread because I am quite pissed and got a bit snarky for some. Hopefully they now convey my point without being offensive. My apologies.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
OK, I'm glad you got that out of your system..... Now quite your whining, sell your FJ and shop for a bike that makes ya happy. Paul 

Archived