Top speed Blow Back

• Premium Member
Sorry Don if I was looking for a bike to take to the track and top speed I sure wouldn't buy a FJ?. I think there is much better choices, I think I would have went with a FZ1 or maybe even buy a used sport bike. Just me but I personally can't imagine taking a brand new bike to the track. Thats just my $.02
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry Don if I was looking for a bike to take to the track and top speed I sure wouldn't buy a FJ?. I think there is much better choices, I think I would have went with a FZ1 or maybe even buy a used sport bike. Just me but I personally can't imagine taking a brand new bike to the track. Thats just my $.02
    I didn't want a track only bike. I didn't want a crotch rocket. I wanted [strong]THIS[/strong] bike without being neutered. I don't need 200mph but I expected 135-140mph+. Did anyone that actually bought this bike really think it was going to do 20% less top speed than the FZ?  Seriously?    Had I known the bike would be limited to 115 mph I wouldn't have bought it. All the reviews (for months before release date) indicated this bike was [strong]an all rounder.[/strong] That's why I bought it. Touring fun(comfortable riding position, ABS, TC etc.). Twistie fun (improved suspension). Track fun(FZ engine remapped to smooth snatchy throttle). No one including Yamaha said anything about the limiting. And they had time. And you know they watched the same reviews. So yea I feel deceived.
   I think it will be fun if Yamaha fixes it so that it matches the top speed of the same bike in Europe. Then it will be what many of us expected (that includes fun on the track) and I'll be happy. I won't be happy if I have to fix it myself.
   I think they'll lose sales if they don't address the top speed.
   That's the last I'll speak of this until it's resolved. Unless someone tells me I'm whining again.

They said they would reflash your bike to give you the 135 top speed or refund your purchase price?  I'd rather insurance companies rate this bike where Yamaha sets the top line and if owners want to exceed that mark they can pay for the upgrade, I didn't call Ford Motor Co. when I found out that my 6.4 F250 was limited to 95 mph, I bought a tuner and changed it. 
2015 FJ-09
2009 WR250R
1989 HawkGT

Seriously dondon,
You bought this bike way too early. If you cared so much about this single issue, then you should have waited to get more info. Yamaha didn't lie to you. This isn't the first bike to have the speed limited. Now you're on your own personal crusade and think everyone should be pissed right along with you. I don't think it's happening. I'd rather the bike not be limited and I've been well over 115mph on my FZ1, but it's not gonna stop me from buying. Let us know if Yamaha "fixes" your bike. If they do, I'm sure everyone else will line up. Don't hold your breath. 

I disagree, and think dondon has a right to be a bit upset.  And I say this as a guy who bought this bike today, after reading this thread.  It is a bit odd that it is limited to a rather pedestrian level of top speed.  My $500 shitbox GS500 'racebike' was good for better than 115 mph.

I have little faith that Yamaha will offer a fix, and I'm BEYOND curious as to why Yamaha did this, but... I also expect the aftermarket will offer a remedy, and then, depending on the cost for the fix, I'll decide if it is worth it to me.

BIR in Minnesota has a really long straight, and perhaps the fastest turn 1 in North America.  When I eventually do a trackday there, I would prefer to have the full performance of the motor at my disposal.  That doesn't mean I bought the wrong bike.

• Premium Member
I won't be selling. I've already contacted Yamaha Canada customer service( not the dealer). They're going to fix it or give me my money back.
I hope they fix your bike. Let's say they won't/can't fix it. Are you really going to return an otherwise fantastic motorcycle? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I think you will keep it as I really don't know what other bike would fit the bill to be honest. If you mail in your ECU to flash tune, it is only $200 for the FZ, so I would imagine the same for the FJ. I will be doing this, but can certainly see why others would not want to spend the money to do it. Good luck and please keep us informed of what transpires.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I didn't want a track only bike. I didn't want a crotch rocket. I wanted [strong]THIS[/strong] bike without being neutered. I don't need 200mph but I expected 135-140mph+. Did anyone that actually bought this bike really think it was going to do 20% less top speed than the FZ?  Seriously?    Had I known the bike would be limited to 115 mph I wouldn't have bought it. All the reviews (for months before release date) indicated this bike was [strong]an all rounder.[/strong] That's why I bought it. Touring fun(comfortable riding position, ABS, TC etc.). Twistie fun (improved suspension). Track fun(FZ engine remapped to smooth snatchy throttle). No one including Yamaha said anything about the limiting. And they had time. And you know they watched the same reviews. So yea I feel deceived.
   I think it will be fun if Yamaha fixes it so that it matches the top speed of the same bike in Europe. Then it will be what many of us expected (that includes fun on the track) and I'll be happy. I won't be happy if I have to fix it myself.
   I think they'll lose sales if they don't address the top speed.
   That's the last I'll speak of this until it's resolved. Unless someone tells me I'm whining again.

I have to side with dondon on this. If they are going to limit top speed it should not be a secret. Yamaha should give their potential buyers all the information. For some top speed is irrelevant, for others it is not. What if top speed was limited to 80mph and they didn't say anything. Would more folks be upset?

This bike is more than capable of being a touring, sporting, commuting, AND the occasional track bike. You don't and shouldn't need a supersport to attend track days.

Dondon,

I think you are correct to be upset with Yamaha and I hope they come through for you. I think you have expressed yourself well and didn't whine or get out of control. I also appreciate the level of civility amongst this group.
Anson
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

Does this make me regret my FJ purchase? No. But was I just a little bit disappointed to hear about a 115 speed limit? Yes.

I think Don has made his point and even though I may not feel as passionate about the topic I would like to know why Yamaha chose 115 MPH. My only real concern is if 115 was chosen due to a design issue where stability is in question.

Much luck to you Don and keep us posted.

I also wrote an email to Yamaha Canada. I tried to word it as diplomatically as possible. This is what I sent.
" I have yet to ride my new FJ-09, but have come to find out that one of its performance aspects is not what one should expect from a "supersport" touring model. There is quite a lot of buzz over this issue on an online model specific forum. Is there a specific reason that this model has had its top speed electronically limited lower than even some other brands 650cc touring models. We all as enthusiasts do as much research as possible, but this is a surprise to most of us. I have to say that even though I won't be getting rid of this bike for this reason, I think its reasonable to believe that once this gets out it may effect some folks decision to buy this otherwise stunning bike. Any info/updates on this issue would be appreciated. "
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Yamaha needs to be put on notice that this is NOT acceptable. That is, nothing less than full disclosure why they apparently crippled the top speed of the FJ-09.   >:(

It's already pissing off a LOT of aggressive street riders and those who wanted to do track days with their FJ-09. Did Yamaha limit the top speed for safety reasons? Heck, the same bike (MT-09) in Europe can do 140mph+ by comparison.

Does the difference in performance between the European and the U.S. models and the lack of transparency in marketing by Yamaha upset many people here?

The lack of transparency by Yamaha is bothersome to me (and this coming from someone who won't regularly do even 115mph).   >:D

• Premium Member
I'm sorry but I cant help but laugh at you guys who are planning track days on THIS bike.
WHY, THIS bike is very capable on the track, not to race, but to have fun. I enjoy spending time with my friends who often go to the track. Laugh away, I will have my style of fun while you do your own thing.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Why is that Randy? I was an amateur RR, currently race sm and bought this bike for sport riding/track days. I intend to upgrade suspension and what ever else I need. I did not want a leaned over bike that I can't ride all day in the mountains. 

Archived