Top speed Blow Back

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry but I cant help but laugh at you guys who are planning track days on THIS bike.
I take it you never been to a track day or you wouldn't have posted such a stupid statement. 
Sorry to disappoint but I've raced lightweight super bike in the AMA CCS series. Ridden Daytona, Homestaed, Road Amercia and Moroso/PBIR many times. Still have an NSR 250 to get my track jollies on. Just think you guys are flat wrong that this bike is meant to be a super do it all including track days machine. It will do a good bit but it won't do it all. If you want to really enjoy a track day go buy a rat bike GSXFZRCBRNINJA early 2000's 600 for $1500 and trash on it at the track to your hearts content. If you chuck to pavement who cares, throw some 200 mph tape on it and head back out. It will corner better, pull more top speed and you won't be wearing out a motor and brakes that were never meant to be beaten on around a track. 

I can't help but smile a bit when I read these "issues" as I'm coming from BMW forums where discussions of final drive failures, clutch slave cylinders leaking and ruining dry clutches are discussed.

The CCT is no risk at all, just noise. The oil plug placement was a poor choice but can be remedied with about $10 in parts and 1/2 hour of labor. The limited top end would only be an issue if you want to do a track day. I've done around 40+ of them in the past 20 years so I respect that disappointment, but it wouldn't impact my buying decision at all. 

This bike is amazing and to deprive yourself of the experience due to the "issues" listed above is the proverbial "Cutting off your nose to spite your face".
Just love to hear intelligents, and common sense, well said.  GSORider must be an old guy.  :) 
      I haven't driven mine yet Red, but from all accounts it sounds fun to drive (but then all the bikes I've owned were fun to drive) that's part of the reason I bought this one . This however is the first brand new bike I've bought and top speed was for me  something to be considered because I was thinking some track days with friends.    After going through this experience I realize the bigger issue here is why isn't the top speed of these performance machines being included with the rest of the performance numbers? If it's an insurance thing that's up to me. If I decide to buy a bike that's going to cost more for insurance that's entirely my call. If a manufacturer wants to build a bike that's going to appeal to more people because it will be cheaper to drive and/or have less accidents by reducing its top speed, I want that information to make [strong]MY[/strong] decision.
   I mean if we don't speak up next we'll get a bike with all the same performance numbers but the speed is limited to 100kph or 55mph with a perfectly valid reason....why do you need to go faster?
   The bike will still be fun to drive up to 3rd gear however.

I take it you never been to a track day or you wouldn't have posted such a stupid statement. 
Sorry to disappoint but I've raced lightweight super bike in the AMA CCS series. Ridden Daytona, Homestaed, Road Amercia and Moroso/PBIR many times. Still have an NSR 250 to get my track jollies on. Just think you guys are flat wrong that this bike is meant to be a super do it all including track days machine. It will do a good bit but it won't do it all. If you want to really enjoy a track day go buy a rat bike GSXFZRCBRNINJA early 2000's 600 for $1500 and trash on it at the track to your hearts content. If you chuck to pavement who cares, throw some 200 mph tape on it and head back out. It will corner better, pull more top speed and you won't be wearing out a motor and brakes that were never meant to be beaten on around a track. 
    Again I think you think wrong Randy.    It was several reviews that said specifically that this was the bike that was the "all rounder" and did it all. Some of us that bought this bike read those same reviews. I think one actually said this bike will stay with all but the fastest litre bikes. Anyhow bottom line is you have your opinion and that's fair. I have mine. And others have theirs. Let's be nice. The forum is to share ideas and thoughts.
   Did you buy this bike? If you didn't then it's understandable that you didn't read these reviews and would have a different opinion.
    If you had read these reviews and used them to base your purchase on, you may understand what some of the fuss is about.
    Anyhow, I will enjoy this bike everywhere(including the track) despite my disappointment that I will have to have it reprogrammed(and probably void my warranty) to meet all of my expectations.

Guest eatpasta
The whole point of a track day is to improve your skills and have fun - doesnt matter what you're riding as long as you're not putting anyone else in danger.
The FJ certainly wouldn't be an ideal track bike, but it would be a lot of fun

I stand corrected. It was not a stupid statement from someone that didn't know any better but an extremely stupid response from someone that did. 
There are plenty of folks that will have only 1 bike and be interested in doing a track day or two. I say, have at it, and enjoy yourself. You see plenty of middle performance bikes on the track and the FJ-09 will fair favorably compared to many. One might argue it is even better than the FZ-09 due to the improved suspension.

For a serious track enthusiast there are much better choices as you suggest but guys like dondon will find that the FJ will do just fine.

Guest eatpasta
I stand corrected. It was not a stupid statement from someone that didn't know any better but an extremely stupid response from someone that did.
 Believe it or not, people are entitled to their opinion whether or not you think it's stupid.  That's twice you've called someone stupid for an opinion.
      @bmac please don't try and pick a fight....not everyone has finances/garage space/spouse approval to have a track bike or even two bikes. 
      Im lucky enough that i have a race-only bike but most guys dont have the luxury.

If you guys want I can start a Synth/Standard oil thread and you can fight about that....

Do people ever take Goldwings, Harley's or Vespa's to track days?

I think it would be fun if a bunch of us got drunk as hell and then took a bunch of 50cc pit bikes to the track.

Do they ever have drunken pit bike track days? If so, count me in!

Guest eatpasta
Do people ever take Goldwings, heavypieceofshet's or Vespa's to track days?  
I think it would be fun if a bunch of us got drunk as hell and then took a bunch of 50cc pit bikes to the track.

Do they ever have drunken pit bike track days? If so, count me in!
 A bunch of guys that I know that race Supermoto's competitively occasionally have a 50cc side race and it's amazing how close it is, how much fun then have, and how much skill is required.  A lot of bumping... and well elbowing

This vid isnt them, but you get the idea

[video src=http://youtu.be/6DWyKs9w00I]

Here in Boise we do not have a track, and while that sucks, we do have some awesome trails and mountains. One of the trails that we ride goes by this crappy bar in the middle of nowhere. So, we often end up there after riding and then get toasted and ride home.

If I posted a vid, someone would probably go to jail. lol

Believe it or not, people are entitled to their opinion whether or not you think it's stupid.  That's twice you've called someone stupid for an opinion.       @bmac please don't try and pick a fight....not everyone has finances/garage space/spouse approval to have a track bike or even two bikes. 
      Im lucky enough that i have a race-only bike but most guys dont have the luxury.

If you guys want I can start a Synth/Standard oil thread and you can fight about that....

Exactly!  
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even dondon who was thinking of taking the FJ to the track. Are there better choices? Absolutely! Does that mean it should not be done, absolutely not. 

And to be clear, I did not call anyone stupid. Plenty of smart people say stupid things from time to time. 

Did read this sentence of mine "There are plenty of folks that will have only 1 bike and be interested in doing a track day or two"? You seem to be correcting me by stating the same thing that I did in slightly different words. 

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/420/top-speed-blow-back?page=7#ixzz3RZNNCKVE 

Guest eatpasta
 Believe it or not, people are entitled to their opinion whether or not you think it's stupid.  That's twice you've called someone stupid for an opinion.       @bmac please don't try and pick a fight....not everyone has finances/garage space/spouse approval to have a track bike or even two bikes. 

Did read this sentence of mine "There are plenty of folks that will have only 1 bike and be interested in doing a track day or two"? You seem to be correcting me by stating the same thing that I did in slightly different words. 

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/420/top-speed-blow-back?page=7#ixzz3RZNNCKVE 
Everyone has seen your point and understands you position.   I apologize that I missed that one line in your diatribe

Archived