• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Smokey Mountains/Tail of the Dragon trip 10/28 - 10/30

jgalloway

• Premium Member
A small group of my friends and I (4 definite, another 2 possible) are heading down to the Smokeys on the 28th and coming back on the 30th. We'll stay in Maryville or Robbinsville. That's still undecided. We're leaving out of southern Indiana. If anyone here would like to join us on the way down or meet up with us there, let me know. The more the merrier. The riding will be spirited, but not crazy, and no one will be left behind. We'll hit the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway at least once, and hopefully find some good rides off of the beaten path.

• Premium Member
A small group of my friends and I (4 definite, another 2 possible) are heading down to the Smokeys on the 28th and coming back on the 30th. We'll stay in Maryville or Robbinsville. That's still undecided. We're leaving out of southern Indiana. If anyone here would like to join us on the way down or meet up with us there, let me know. The more the merrier. The riding will be spirited, but not crazy, and no one will be left behind. We'll hit the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway at least once, and hopefully find some good rides off of the beaten path.
I'm trying to do a trip up there around that time or possibly the week after depending on when I finish a job I'm doing. I should know better by next week so I'll let you know.
BLB

Wish I had the time off to come up there again... Would like to recommend @britelitebob as a guide he knows the area well, only thing is sometimes hes hard to keep up with!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I was planning a trip to the Smokey mountains too. What route do you have in mind? Any plans to ride to clingans dome, mount Mitchell and the likes? I'm in Cincinnati, and I might be interested
My route depends on whether or not I have to trailer down. One of the guys that is still on the fence about going rides an R6 and has health problems, and doesn't want to ride down. If he goes, I'll have to trailer mine so I can take his too (he has no trailer.) I will know by Monday if he's going or not. Anyway, if we trailer, I'll take I-64 east to I-75 south, which goes straight to Maryville. If I get to ride, we'll take SR 62 west to US 150 west to US 27 south. This route parallels the interstates, but is much more entertaining to ride.  Either route will be right on your way. If you are interested in going, we can meet up around Lexington.

• Premium Member
I was planning a trip to the Smokey mountains too. What route do you have in mind? Any plans to ride to clingans dome, mount Mitchell and the likes? I'm in Cincinnati, and I might be interested
About the dome and Mount Mitchell, we are willing to ride anywhere in the area. We want to run the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway at least once, but other than that we'll go wherever anyone wants to go. I've never been to either place you mentioned, but we can find them. 

About the dome and Mount Mitchell, we are willing to ride anywhere in the area. We want to run the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway at least once, but other than that we'll go wherever anyone wants to go. I've never been to either place you mentioned, but we can find them.
That sounds good. I'll know for sure mid week, but I'm definitely interested in tagging along. I'm new to the area, so you might have a better idea of the roads. I Just looked up trip advisor.

• Premium Member
I just looked up Clingman's Dome. I definitely would like to see that. I've been to the area several times, but I've always stayed around the Dragon and the skyway. I've never ventured out. I plan to change that this time. I'll have the GPS onboard, so there's nothing we won't be able to find.  If britelitebob can go, it sounds like he can show us the most fun ways to get to whatever we want to see.

• Premium Member
I'm trying to do a trip up there around that time or possibly the week after depending on when I finish a job I'm doing. I should know better by next week so I'll let you know.
How are things looking? Will you make it this weekend? 

• Premium Member
How are things looking? Will you make it this weekend?
No can do I'm still tied up down here but you guy's have a good trip, the weather looks great for this weekend. Hopefully I'll be heading up there next week sometime.
BLB

I'm sure I can write a quick report. Here goes

Day 1

I rode down from Cincinnati to Kentucky and met up with galoway at McDonald's, from there we 3 hours non stop to the hotel in Tennessee.
After checking in we rode up to clingmans dome. The highest peak in the Smokeys
fb8520e3d0971db3a16c4f4980e84122.jpg62988738fdfbd55a3a180a4e6be3f0c7.jpg99ba288b42b729bd0b93204f753eaf73.jpg
e87686ab5ad59fe403cc2d607d419034.jpgf3ac8e138e8427010278de46b180f96f.jpg

I took a lot more breaks for pictures, while jgaloway was enjoying the twisties. Hence you'll only see my bike in most pics

Day 2

We headed up to the tail of the dragon. Since it was my first time riding the dragon I took it a little slow. Here's a few pics from the photographers
c2ae2cd2d7bf7e43172052f761dab398.jpgebbed794a5b0473fd553d8a1244e3ba5.jpg
We caught up at deals gap, from where I picked up a few souvenirs and then rode the cherohala skyway back and forth
8748b9b64b880b1d2349b56065ed2681.jpgcf6988c270b73865f5776abcd997c537.jpg

I stayed back and stopped at ever overlook along the way
338528463f6618e9f2ac557c0de40dbc.jpg5760f8f1eff1b4210373f987d6b8d1d8.jpg7cccf67f3ea8ff918525eb4821a76618.jpg82d5c27845d28a180aebfc1181682488.jpg

I also did the loop around the park that goes through Fontana dam and reached back at the hotel at night.

Day 3 was a non stop ride home to beat the rain that was supposed to start at 2pm. I successfully beat the storm

Archived